• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs 2020

LOL. Guess everything worked out.

While stuck in traffic last night I was listening to the ESPN coverage of the WNBA draft and heard that maybe 7 or 8 of the total drafted players will be on a roster. It's basically an invite to camp and then some parting gifts. The league only has 144 players and attrition is pretty low.

While stuck in traffic last night I was listening to the ESPN coverage of the WNBA draft and heard that maybe 7 or 8 of the total drafted players will be on a roster. It's basically an invite to camp and then some parting gifts. The league only has 144 players and attrition is pretty low.

7 or 8 newcomers to the league each year is less than one per team and less than 10% for the league. At the rate of 8 new players each year, it would take 18 years to replace the whole league. Nope.

An average career length in the WNBA is 3.5 years. That means about 40 new players earn roster spots each year, an average of about 3 players per team.

The top players stick around. The bottom of the rosters churns quickly.

Sure. That’s why the NBA draft only has two rounds. The WNBA has shorter rosters so fewer spots per team. Most of the players play overseas in other leagues anyway. Two of the top picks already play pro and presumably would keep playing in those leagues going forward.

The WNBA has had as many as 16 teams. If they can build off the ratings boost for the women’s tournament, maybe they’ll expand again.

Lady Deacs got a nice commitment yesterday from Alyssa Andrews. Looks like her natural position is Wing. She put up stupid good numbers playing 6A ball in VA and was 3 times conference POY. She decomitted from Va Tech and looks like an immediate impact player.

Also just got a guard who is a transfer from Utah named Niyah Becker. Becker looks to be a solid addition and I believe is a grad transfer.

Becker started the last 6 games for a 5-16 team. Numbers weren't great. 6-2 G/F. Could start or provide depth.

Some highlights on Andrews' twitter. Impressive.

Nice pickup. Seems like her and Spear could be a nice foundation. We're not going to be good without more size, but this is real helpful in keeping us from sucking.

Former Wake women's coach Mike Petersen is now the interim head coach of the WNBA Atlanta Dream. He joined the Dream as an assistant in 2017. He's taking over after the head coach left to take the Baylor job.

Dearica Hamby featured in a story about WNBA players who have shoe deals with Jordan Brand.

[h=1]The importance of Jordan Brand’s enhanced partnership with WNBA athletes: ‘You’re laying the bricks for the future’[/h]
JORDAN_WNBA_DEARICA_9x16.jpg

Dearica Hamby always had nice shoes, but the WNBA’s two-time Sixth Woman of the Year wouldn’t have called herself a sneakerhead early in life. But as she started to play basketball and eventually became a star hooper at Wake Forest from 2011 to 2014, she found herself coming back to the same two brands.
“I stuck with the Nike and Jordan route pretty much my entire life,” Hamby said.
Hamby developed a mentorship with former Jordan director of regional sales Ron Walden and explored doing an internship with the joint company while in college. NCAA rules wouldn’t permit it, though, so it never came together. When she was drafted No. 6 in the 2015 WNBA Draft, however, her desire to be affiliated with the brand was far from satiated.
“When I got drafted I really wanted to sign with Nike and it didn’t happen,” Hamby said in a phone interview last December. “And Jordan only had Maya Moore; it wasn’t really a thing for other women to sign with Jordan. I kept being like, ‘I got to sign with Nike or I gotta sign with Jordan.'”
The Las Vegas Aces forward fielded offers from other companies after winning her first Sixth Woman of the Year award in 2019, but still wanted to hold out for her dream brand. Shortly after repeating as Sixth Woman of the Year in 2020 and watching her team make it to the WNBA Finals while she was sidelined with a torn MCL, her agent called to let her know she’d earned a meeting with Jordan.
“I get on the Zoom call and they have this whole presentation laid out for me about why they want me to be on the Jordan team,” Hamby said. “I was literally like, ‘Oh, shit,’ because I didn’t know that the call was gonna go that way. They’re doing this presentation and I’m like, ‘Holy crap, it’s done. You guys don’t have to say anything else. It’s a done deal.’”
Hamby was a part of the group of five WNBA athletes who signed endorsement deals with Jordan Brand last December. Jordan Brand’s WNBA roster is now comprised of eight athletes, the most in company history. Those athletes — Maya Moore, Kia Nurse, Asia Durr, Jordin Canada, Satou Sabally, Crystal Dangerfield, Te’a Cooper and Hamby — have achieved excellence on and off the court. For example, Moore, who became Jordan Brand’s first WNBA signee in 2011, is as well known for winning four WNBA championships as she is for her efforts to reform the United States justice system through her organization, Win With Justice.

The WNBA still has plenty of room to grow, but the tide is starting to turn in the league’s favor. Its future is no longer obscure; it’s promising.
“It’s exciting to be a part of it,” Hamby said. “You’re laying the bricks for the future and for my daughter who might aspire to play in the WNBA and other little girls. To be a part of the transformation is pretty cool.”

Hamby was the first of the five WNBA additions announced last December to officially sign, so she got to see the group slowly come together. While they’re all Black women — along with the other three WNBA-Jordan Brand athletes — she noticed diversity among the group.
“It was nice to see the group of women that they chose,” Hamby said. “We’re obviously all ballers, but I’m a sixth woman and there are other players that come off the bench. It was nice to see them take different kinds of players that you normally wouldn’t see and put them in the spotlight. I appreciated that. And then it’s just different kinds of women and different dynamics.
“Me, I’m a mom and I’m into fashion a little bit. You got Te’a (Cooper), who’s into fashion. You got Jordin (Canada), who’s like just a straight hooper. … It’s cool to see them branch out and go away from what in our league you would consider a normal signing, so to say.”

https://theathletic.com/2486012/202...letes-youre-laying-the-bricks-for-the-future/

Ivana Raca isn't on the LA Sparks roster for the first day of the season on Friday. The Sparks had the #7, #10, #22, #28, and #34 picks. The #7 and #22 picks are the only rookies on the roster.

So does that mean Raca didn't make the league? I'm assuming the WNBA doesn't have some type of development league.

Yeah. There's only 12 teams and 15 roster spots so there's not many new players. LA's other 1st round pick is on the Chicago Sky.

Did a quick look at some of the rosters. Most teams have 2-4 rookies. The Mystics and Mercury have none. I'm guessing Raca will play overseas and the Sparks will retain her rights. Most WNBA players play overseas anyway. There's no information out there about her since the draft.

Do you get a free bowl of soup with those shoes??
url

Heard today that 12 out of the 36 picks didn't make a roster. Makes sense.

To add she seems like good people but WTF is “her name is synonymous with success”? Two NIT bids 5 years go is the proof point?!?!? That is some grade A LOWF shit right there

Back