• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs 2020

So, is there a consensus opinion that WF should have let Hoover go?

This one is a tough call for me. The program has made some progress, second NCAA bid and first in more than 30 years, but not clear whether this is part of a long term build or just a one year spike. Seems like the default position on the Board is to fire the coach, but this one is not cut and dried.

So, is there a consensus opinion that WF should have let Hoover go?

This one is a tough call for me. The program has made some progress, second NCAA bid and first in more than 30 years, but not clear whether this is part of a long term build or just a one year spike. Seems like the default position on the Board is to fire the coach, but this one is not cut and dried.

I dunno she needed to be canned, but long term extension? Why? To what end? Does anyone know when current contract was set to expire? We will 100% take a massive step back next year.

If this is an extension that we can easily separate ourselves from then fine. If we are here 4 years later in a manning/walter situation then.....

I dunno she needed to be canned, but long term extension? Why? To what end? Does anyone know when current contract was set to expire? We will 100% take a massive step back next year.

Heard last spring that this past year was the last one on her contract.

Have no problem with the extension. You can't take a program like this that's literally never had any success and build it into a regular tourney contender quickly or easily. Agree with Pilchard that she will need to show in pretty short order that last season wasn't just an anomaly and that the curve is still sloping upward. I also like the idea of giving her more time to work with Currie and get out from under whatever impediments she might have faced with RW in charge.

I agree with most of the above. It would be a bad look for the program to let a coach go after making the second NCAAT in program history. But she should get one year, maybe two, to show she can sustain some success without two of the best players in program history. If she doesn't produce next year, then Currie can fire her prospective candidates know the program is capable of making the NCAAT.

Hoover is 28-29 with a NCAA tourney appearance under Currie. Her overall record at Wake would suggest termination but I suspect she met the criteria Currie set for her upon arrival. Her contract was either expired or had one year remaining, so an extension was probably required for recruiting purposes. The coronavirus has decimated the athletic department budget and there was a cost paid to bring Forbes to Wake. Currie isn't in a financial position to incur the cost of changing coaches. It is likely the reason that Walters remains the baseball coach. A year of full attendance for football and basketball, as well as increased television revenue, is needed before the cost of coaching changes can be incurred.

lolwut? This is the mannequin “i got blown out in the first four” extension all over again.

Currie has balled out since returning to Wake, but starting to look like he missed on this one (unless "long term" = 2 years or something)

Must be nice to be completely hapless and get blown out by two winless ACC teams, one on your home court and get that extension. If the buyout is more than a bakers dozen of hot n ready Krispy Kremes, it is a bad deal for Wake. Curry can't care anything about the women's program. We never get better only worse, when there is so little way to that. I try watch when televised, but seldom make it through a game.

Currie has balled out since returning to Wake, but starting to look like he missed on this one (unless "long term" = 2 years or something)

#manningextension

There are contract extensions and there are contract extensions. I would be surprised if the buyout terms of this extension were anywhere close to what were reported to have been in Danny's.

As Blackjack noted above, there isn't money for everything. Currie had to prioritize what he fixed. Men's basketball was bad and needed to be fixed in a hurry.

Women's basketball had one of the better years last year. Not great, but well above Wake historic average. Hence more watchful waiting.

Back