• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs 2020

It's a shame we couldn't convince the 5 star center who is a daughter of a former wake basketball player to join the program.

I was about to say, the ladies are having a nice year, but this is probably Hoover's ceiling.

seems a shame but i don't know how you come to any other conclusion. and not to pile on but the wild inconsistency of this team is not a ringing endorsement of the staff.

It's a shame we couldn't convince the 5 star center who is a daughter of a former wake basketball player to join the program.

exactly - at first i though "oh maybe she grew up in va or something" but nope, she's from summerfield. i wonder what the back story on the recruitment was? did we go all out? maybe it doesn't matter but VPI is not exactly in the same zip code academically...

And VT doesn’t have some grand tradition of excellence in women’s hoops either.

We’ll see if Currie pulls the trigger. I’m sure he knew Hoover back when they were students so that could play a factor. Of course, Ralph Kitley did too.

Last edited:
I was about to say, the ladies are having a nice year, but this is probably Hoover's ceiling.

I think this is correct. And the team this year should have a better record, based on their talent.

I think Hoover is a nice person and represents the school well. She is just not a very good coach.

Based on history this seems to be more the program's ceiling. One NCAA tourney in it's history. The games I've watched where they lost, they've looked like lacking some size has really hurt.

Last edited:
There's no reason for Wake's womens basketball To have a lower program ceiling than the football program. Limited pro prospects. Fully funded at a top 25 expensive private school.

Of course when Hoover did have an All-ACC, WNBA prospect big in Hamby, we weren’t any better than now.

Agree that there's a pretty strong case for moving on from Hoover. In fairness to her, they have had some absurdly bad luck with injuries to key players over the years, and they seem to have taken a step forward this season despite dealing with Covid.

I think the Kitley thing is overblown. Maybe it's as simple as she just didn't like Wake. My kids have no affinity for Wake whatsoever, mainly because Wake has sucked at everything their whole lives.

Agree that there's a pretty strong case for moving on from Hoover. In fairness to her, they have had some absurdly bad luck with injuries to key players over the years, and they seem to have taken a step forward this season despite dealing with Covid.

I think the Kitley thing is overblown. Maybe it's as simple as she just didn't like Wake. My kids have no affinity for Wake whatsoever, mainly because Wake has sucked at everything their whole lives.

Sucked in everything or in basketball? While the men's and women's programs have been awful for too long (and that's a really important sport), but other than that, WF athletics have been solid. As an ACC school, basketball is a bell-weather sport, but while you wouldn't know it from the prevalent attitude on this board, WF athletics has a good reputation, and is a destination school for athletes in a lot of sports.

Every women's basketball program has significant issues with injuries. That's the nature of women's basketball - lots of ACL injuries.

mine seem to take some amusement in watching me repeatedly get kicked in the balls. they are going backwards next year with Conti and Raca leaving. might as well get it over with.

mine seem to take some amusement in watching me repeatedly get kicked in the balls. they are going backwards next year with Conti and Raca leaving. might as well get it over with.

They could come back with their extra year of eligibility, right?

Based on history this seems to be more the program's ceiling. One NCAA tourney in it's history. The games I've watched where they lost, they've looked like lacking some size has really hurt.

In P5 college sports, it's all about the coach. Prior to hiring Dawn Staley, South Carolina won 30% of their SEC games with their previous coach over 10 years. With Staley they have won 74% of their SEC games, have been to at least the sweet 16 the last 6 years, and have won the national championship.

Some improvement this year , combined with the pandemic would tend to dictate Hoover returns next year. However, barring getting to the tournament next year, I can’t imagine Currie won’t make a change in 2022. He knows the sordid history of women’s Bball at Wake, and would like to make his mark with a new coach.

This is her ninth year and her record at Wake is 122-148 and 42-102 in the ACC. She deserves to be fired. She epitomizes LOWF at it's best. I think Currie will let her go, it's time for her to go.

Geez - this is so Wake Forest. Let's keep the former player as coach, because she is nice, and just never win. 42-102 is Bzdick/Mannequin territory. For some reason, I got the feeling that she was doing better than that. Time to move on, and demand some accountability. Holy moly, Wellman made some awful hires.

I don't know why we weren't able to land Kitley, although it does look like we certainly tried. Here's an old article from when she committed: LINK. Maybe her best friend and teammate also committing to the Hokies had something to do with it? VA Tech is a very popular school in this area and it's close enough but not too close, if you know what I mean. You win some, you lose some.

Nine years is a long time given Hoover's tepid record. That said, it does seem like the program is moving in a better direction (unfortunately at a snail's pace). Don't feel strongly either way about whether WF should move on. Currie's decision probably has a lot to do with things that aren't publicly shared (e.g., is Hoover a hard worker; is the program well run; how does she relate to the players; is WF's lack of a break-through more attributable to bad luck/injuries or a lack of direction within the program; how does Hoover get along with others within the AD; how does WF recruiting look in the upcoming years; what kind of players is she recruiting). All or almost all of those questions have to be answered in Hoover's favor to overcome her on the court record.

Back