• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sarr

Honestly, it doesn't make any sense that Sarr is being exposed as not NBA ready right now. He isn't playing significantly better competition than he was playing against an ACC schedule, where he performed well.

He was 3rd team all ACC. For whatever reason, the UK fit is no good.

IMO, Sarr's main problem is between his ears. He came to Wake that way, an athletic 7 footer but very raw and very few basketball skills. Whatever happened, and DM may have been the difference, the last half of last season, he blossomed. He was killing it and against good competition. Probably the best ACC center by the end of the season.

Like coming to Wake from another culture, his transition to Kentucky wasn't smooth, either. Could be he needs more time for such transactions in a whole different culture. Or, could be no one on the Kentucky staff knows how to counsel him or figure out what he needs. Could even be a combination of these.

Tim Duncan may have failed at Kentucky, as well. It is very likely folksy Dave Odom knew just how to "coach" Tim. Explains why Tim was so loyal to him.

BTW, Neath had a "coming out" about the same time as Sarr. The 2 man game in the first part of this clip was the main reason I had great hope for this season...before the transfers, before Covid.

https://youtu.be/Xxav-p7L99M

Last edited:
FWIW, KY has only SEC games left and KP now projects KY to finish the regular season 10-15. Same old same old for Sarr.

FWIW, KY has only SEC games left and KP now projects KY to finish the regular season 10-15. Same old same old for Sarr.

They are supposed to play Texas in the B12/SEC challenge end of January unless that was cancelled.

If Cal doesn't make the Elite 8 this year, I wonder if he'll be on the hot seat. That would be six consecutive seasons without a championship in spite Top 5 recruiting years.

Sarr is not being used properly. The frosh are interested in draft position not team play and Cal hasn't reigned them in yet.

If Cal doesn't make the Elite 8 this year, I wonder if he'll be on the hot seat. That would be six consecutive seasons without a championship in spite Top 5 recruiting years.

Sarr is not being used properly. The frosh are interested in draft position not team play and Cal hasn't reigned them in yet.

This is the 9th season since Cal's one and only title at KY (the Anthony Davis led team in 2012, that team had 4 1st round picks). If/when KY fails to make it this year, this would be Calipari's 6th straight year without a Final 4. Since the 2012 team, KY has had 18 first round picks and five second round picks without a title.

FWIW, this will be K's 6th straight year without a Final 4 team. Would guess that most college basketball fans would have no idea that neither KY nor Duke have had a Final 4 team in 6 seasons.

Sarr--14 points & 12 rebounds yesterday in their first game of SEC action.

Calipari is probably safe as long as he continues to win SEC championships. Those are required at Kentucky. In eleven seasons he has won the season and tournament title five times, the tourney twice and the season once. Most fans have come to realize that his better teams include experienced players. In the past that experience was acquired at Kentucky. Whether experienced transfers are accepted remains to be determined. They must win SEC championships.

IMO, Sarr's main problem is between his ears. He came to Wake that way, an athletic 7 footer but very raw and very few basketball skills. Whatever happened, and DM may have been the difference, the last half of last season, he blossomed. He was killing it and against good competition. Probably the best ACC center by the end of the season.

Like coming to Wake from another culture, his transition to Kentucky wasn't smooth, either. Could be he needs more time for such transactions in a whole different culture. Or, could be no one on the Kentucky staff knows how to counsel him or figure out what he needs. Could even be a combination of these.

Tim Duncan may have failed at Kentucky, as well. It is very likely folksy Dave Odom knew just how to "coach" Tim. Explains why Tim was so loyal to him.

BTW, Neath had a "coming out" about the same time as Sarr. The 2 man game in the first part of this clip was the main reason I had great hope for this season...before the transfers, before Covid.

https://youtu.be/Xxav-p7L99M

Good post. But the Tim Duncan part is strange. Strange as in what the hell are you talking about?

Duncan nearly got 6, and had an outside shot at 7 rings. If anything he would have added 1 or 2 national titles while at UK. You don’t think they could have found better players than Sean Allen, William Stringfellow and Joe Amonett to surround him with?

I mean they made the NCAA finals without Tim Duncan in 96 and 97.

Good post. But the Tim Duncan part is strange. Strange as in what the hell are you talking about?

Duncan nearly got 6, and had an outside shot at 7 rings. If anything he would have added 1 or 2 national titles while at UK. You don’t think they could have found better players than Sean Allen, William Stringfellow and Joe Amonett to surround him with?

I mean they made the NCAA finals without Tim Duncan in 96 and 97.

I think your last sentence is about the only reason why Duncan might have failed at UK but I don't think it's anything that 8xdeacon had in mind. Those UK teams were so stacked that Duncan could have possibly gotten lost in the shuffle his freshman year and never really recovered. But, by the end of Duncan's WF career, Pitino was longing for him in Boston. BTW, I don't want to debate Duncan's talent versus the big men and other players on the Kentucky roster from the Duncan era. It's just a possibility that i was throwing out there and an observation that certain players thrive in certain situations.

Calipari is probably safe as long as he continues to win SEC championships. Those are required at Kentucky. In eleven seasons he has won the season and tournament title five times, the tourney twice and the season once. Most fans have come to realize that his better teams include experienced players. In the past that experience was acquired at Kentucky. Whether experienced transfers are accepted remains to be determined. They must win SEC championships.

SEC Championships won't save Cal. They are meaningless to the big hitters. National Championships and Final Fours are what matter.

One of the top 10 players of all time was too talented ever to get lost in any shuffle anywhere. The differing opinions on this board are fascinating but I guess that's why it exists.

14/17 from the line, Sarr took more free throws than Vandy's entire team combined.

Sarr was pretty good tonight. He's not the problem at UK.

He’s depended on as the leader of the team and a focus of the offense, so when he frequently goes entire games without scoring or rebounding, he is in fact a big problem. The team is much better when he plays to his potential, as he has the past two games, which not coincidentally they’ve won. Having said that, even with Sarr at 100% the team currently isn’t very good.

He’s depended on as the leader of the team and a focus of the offense, so when he frequently goes entire games without scoring or rebounding, he is in fact a big problem. The team is much better when he plays to his potential, as he has the past two games, which not coincidentally they’ve won. Having said that, even with Sarr at 100% the team currently isn’t very good.

Yeah I think the problem is that Sarr just isn’t cut out for that cornerstone role on a good team.

Back