• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Masters in public health and masters in bioinformatics are the only two useful masters I have come across.

Most people that have a PhD in hard sciences don't get a masters unless it's only somewhat related like an MPH. This is because most PhD programs once you pass qualifying exams you technically have a masters and can term out at any time.

Everything I've read so far looks good. A friend of mine who is a prominent ed policy person doesn't like the residency requirement but I don't think it's a big deal especially since it's NY. Not sure if that restricts postgrad education though.

That program is great... for upstate NY. It is a good problem to have, but that cutoff is about $100k too low.

The median household income in Manhattan is $66K. That's very high compared to the US and other boroughs. Still means there are a large majority of families who would qualify.

Here's an interesting take I saw on Facebook:

"Georgia and Louisiana have similar programs (maybe Florida, too) -- and from personal experience teaching GA and LA students on those programs that it generally benefitted upper middle class kids at the expense of kids from lower SES families. And at Georgia, the passage of HOPE led to the students having much snazzier cars and apartments (driving up the rental market for everyone else)."

As an anecdote my cousin is a freshman at Georgia State and on the HOPE scholarship. Her Dad told me he's paying a lot more than he thinks is reasonable for an apartment "but, she's not costing me anything for college so that's fine with me."

Is that right? That seems surprisingly low. I can't think of any/many families I know under the 100/125 mark. And I am not running with a ritzy crowd. My brother is a cop (albeit in one of the best paid places to be a cop) and he gets way over that number before adding in his his wife, who also works.

I am happy to see the program though, and like the residency requirements.

Is that right? That seems surprisingly low. I can't think of any/many families I know under the 100/125 mark. And I am not running with a ritzy crowd. My brother is a cop (albeit in one of the best paid places to be a cop) and he gets way over that number before adding in his his wife, who also works.

I am happy to see the program though, and like the residency requirements.

That's higher than any one metro area. Upper middle class people truly underestimate how poor people are.

I don't really understand the economics of these 'free' tuition plans. Who is paying for it?

Yeah it's in a budget that has been approved.

Back