• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

From my personal experience, the Calloway professors were much more explicit about their conservatism than the Trimble professors were about their liberalism. Now, to be fair, I took far more classes at Trimble and didn’t take any Poli Sci or WGS. Actually, my parents probably would have been upset with me if I took WGS. Hell, marketing is probably a little too liberal for my dad...

If I am teaching Business Statistics, Mechanical Engineering, or Coding for Dummies, why am I talking to my students about politics or elections?

Is that happening?

Right. I’m still wondering what they’re afraid liberal professors are teaching.

Tribble?

I think it has to do with the notion that a typical/proper study of “humanities” seems to the lead to the suggestion, or even conclusion, that the realities of life are more mysterious, nuanced, and uncertain than a traditional or typical “conservative” perspective would allow or prefer.

When? During office hours at the figuratively underground pizza joint.

Wake will be considerably more than that.

I fully expect Wake to be six figures a year by then.

Yeah. My kids graduate in 2027 and 2030. I did the math when my oldest was in kindergarten. No way they’re going to a private school for undergrad.

Most two working parent households that graduated from wake should be able to save 300k in like 3-4 years.

Seems like a good enough investment to me. Just snag a tri delt before you're done, they're all looking.

That works if you pick one favorite kid.

I'd rather pay for a good state school and spend the rest of that on myself. The old folks home won't pay for itself.

Just catching up.

Ph, to your initial question, what about economics? I think most economists would agree that the majority have beliefs that align one way or the other. Would be ideal to teach both sides but could understand why a parent would be worried only one side was taught.

I think political science (specifically US politics) as well seems obvious.

But what specifically would you be afraid a liberal professor would teach?

The sticker price could be $1B, but it won't change what normal people can pay. Having just gone through this process, schools will determine you can afford about 30% of your gross income. They can still make a profit at that amount, and will mark off the balance as aid, scholarships, whatever. The only factor is how much debt they expect the student to incur. For schools, they establish flexible pricing that lets them shade the entire supply-demand curve instead of picking the single point.

How to do the rich people feel about being soaked by these exorbitant fake prices? I can't imagine anyone putting up with this pricing when purchasing anything else. Want to buy a car? Submit your tax forms and we'll tell you how much it will cost you. It will cost your less affluent neighbor less though. Groceries? Use a card that includes your net worth, and the prices change at the register.

Imagine they're fine with it. Selective institutions can keep the riff-raff out.

They complain about doing it for taxes though.

Back