• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

The vocational schools you describe exist all over the country.

There are existing schools but they aren't as focused and free as I would like to see them. I am suggesting more subsidy, more focus and more direct industry ties.

We also need to drastically cut HB1 and replace with these new, young domestic workers.

The big problem these programs have is that laypeople don’t know about them.

These programs I work with and are familiar with are pretty cost efficient and flexible based on industry needs. All of them have dozens of industry partners and regularly engage with industry.

The advanced technology programs in FL meet twice a year to discuss curriculum and program development, recruitment, and other concerns. There’s always an industry session where local businesses talk about the state of industry and their needs.

On top of that, there is an industry advisory board that meets three times a year at a vocational school or business and board members discuss issues that the community colleges and vocational schools can help address.

I’ve been working in this area for about 8 years and I’ve been very impressed with their organization, their eagerness to serve their communities, and their awareness of what they need to do their jobs better.

the lag is/will be employers who demand unnecessary credentials for jobs

just because you can learn how to be an accountant online doesn't mean that an employer is going to hire you

the lag is/will be employers who demand unnecessary credentials for jobs

just because you can learn how to be an accountant online doesn't mean that an employer is going to hire you

College is about more than being a nerd online. It's about how to interact with people and become an adult. Good luck getting that in your mom's basement.

College is about more than being a nerd online. It's about how to interact with people and become an adult. Good luck getting that in your mom's basement.

Of course, you are right. And you didn’t say it’s the ONLY place to learn how to socialize.

Seems obscene to me - universities turning into parasites to support insane tuition rates.

Wa Po had an article yesterday about some elite colleges rethinking their stance on JuCo transfers. Wake administration should pay attention.

Wa Po had an article yesterday about some elite colleges rethinking their stance on JuCo transfers. Wake administration should pay attention.

For sure. Watching Last Chance U, these are definitely the type of kids who would do well at Wake.

one of the more academically accomplished guys I know did two years of community college to save money before transferring to UVA then going UofC master's and UVA PhD

can't think of anyone I've ever met who went CC to private university undergrad

Last edited:
you still haven't b/c UVA ain't a private university. i know lots of people who've done some CC and finished at PSU

you still haven't b/c UVA ain't a private university. i know lots of people who've done some CC and finished at PSU

LOL. He said he couldn’t think of anybody.

Back