• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Seems like he's turned an English degree into an extremely successful writing and performing arts career.

"What did I get for my money? What is college? ... Sign here and you can be an English major... I paid $120,000 to have someone tell me to read Jane Austin, and I did it."

*Prede and Prijudice* or *Sinse and Sinsibility*?

An English major won't necessarily teach you how to spell, but it will teach you how to make better arguments.

Good point. The road to "undepheated" runs directly through the social sciences building

"In high school, he read books about the American dream, classics like "The Great Gatsby" and "The Grapes of Wrath." If he worked hard, it would pay off — that’s what he was always told."

Jesus Christ. What the dude needed was better English teachers.

Ah yes, The Grapes of Wrath, that classic American success story.

OK, the parenting thread is mostly about younger kids.

Anyone willing to offer what you think might be a reasonable college student food budget? Say in per week amount?

No meal plan.

Thx.

Anyone willing to offer what you think might be a reasonable college student food budget? Say in per week amount?

No meal plan.

Thx.

boy or girl? reasonable access to a kitchen (meaning sharing said kitchen with 3 or fewer)? expectation of cooking how many meals?

sent 2 boys to college - they ate a lot, but had kitchens. I gave them $125 per week which seems like a lot but adds up (I'm sure I funded some drinking money)

WFU says the Cost of Attendance includes $5,458 for meals over 30 weeks or roughly $182 per week

Has car to get to grocery store and a full kitchen shared by 3 other dudes.

Does he cook? If not, willing to learn? If he doesn't cook, figure on a pizza and Taco Bell budget. Sometimes the only cook in the group eats for free in exchange for cooking and cleaning.

Some simple cooking skills.

I'm thinking 100 dollars a week. But maybe a little more?

This is in addition to ongoing "spending" money (beyond room and previous meal plan).

Thx

No meal plan.

Thx.

I gave both my kids (who lived off campus in houses w/ friends) $175/week for food, gas, beer. 2012 through this past year. My youngest is a rising senior. Haven't changed the amount.

Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are running on promise to eliminate student debt.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sanders-student-loan-cancel-debt-114409170.html

I agree with the need to do this - the government created this crisis - but it needs to accompany a fix to the broken system. That fix is repealing law that exempts student loans from bankruptcy. Without it, schools and banks now see students as being even more rich - fully backed financially by the US government. This will drive tuition even higher - more debt, until yet another bailout.

Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are running on promise to eliminate student debt.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sanders-student-loan-cancel-debt-114409170.html

I agree with the need to do this - the government created this crisis - but it needs to accompany a fix to the broken system. That fix is repealing law that exempts student loans from bankruptcy. Without it, schools and banks now see students as being even more rich - fully backed financially by the US government. This will drive tuition even higher - more debt, until yet another bailout.

I would even be happy with interest rates capped at 5% or interest free college loans. I would jump for joy if this ever happened, but too many people complain about how they worked as a waitress in college and paid their tuition, and dont want to hear about inflation, its sad but people would rather millions of people be in debt, than someone else get something they didnt get themselves.

I would even be happy with interest rates capped at 5% or interest free college loans. I would jump for joy if this ever happened, but too many people complain about how they worked as a waitress in college and paid their tuition, and dont want to hear about inflation, its sad but people would rather millions of people be in debt, than someone else get something they didnt get themselves.

How would you feel if you rode the bus for 3 years and worked your butt off to save up money to buy a car for cash while your friend took out a huge loan to buy a car he probably couldn't really afford and then the government came along and just forgave his loan? I guess you'd just be really happy for him?

Back