• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

$9,848 to share a double room for less than 9 months. I know it includes utilities and such but even with that, two people paying that much is like paying a mortgage for a nice 3/2 in a nice neighborhood in a midsize city.

yeah, you're not the first to do that math, which is why all WF students must live on campus for 3 years

Living on campus is an awesome experience but man, that’s a rip off.

Damn, I was way above their stated Median Total Debt After Graduation.  And that was 10 years ago.

I snowballed and was able to aggressively pay off my loans in less than 5 years, but I wonder where I'd be if I never had that loan debt.

I'd have to admit that the median is so low because like 40% come out with no debt because their parents paid it all. I'm over that amount today and I graduated 15 years ago. But looking at paying it off in the next few months!

There might be a new government agency to handle student loan governance/forgiveness
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/student-loans-government-trust-193151117.html

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand the student loan crisis has blown up to dominate the attention of the DOE. On the other hand, I don't like agencies created to fix problems the government created in the first place. Instead, they should make better laws.

This agency won't solve anything until law exempting student loans from bankruptcy dischargement is repealed. As long as a poor person who wouldn't qualify for a car loan is seen as someone who can take on six-figure debt by the student loan lenders, there will be a continuous cycle of indebtedness and debt forgiveness. Might as well simplify things and letter Bernie make college education free (paid by the government). They'd end up creating a "Medicare rate" of education to combat the gouging.

Agree. If the problem is so big that it “requires” a new agency, may as well get rid of it once and for all.

Perhaps work with states to fund free publics and let a private market emerge for privates. I imagine elite private would create their own bank to handle financing or use the same ones.

yeah, no one should be paying $160k for a film degree unless they got $160k in cash

How about we get rid of people waiting until sophmore year to declare a major and stop having colleges with like 30 different major choices. Have specialized "trade" colleges for whatever trade you want to go into. Do a little more liberal arts type education in grades 11-12, and maybe skip some of the lesser useful high school courses like Calculus and advanced literature.

One of the big problems is people declare a major early, burn through credits that don’t apply to other majors, then figure out they don’t like it.

I do agree the biggest problem is that K-12 is littered with relatively useless knowledge and should include more material that typically is included in Gen Ed, less emphasis on math beyond Algebra II and more emphasis on statistics/research/data management as well as financial literacy, more training for entrepreneurship, and broader career and technical education.

Do that and a bachelors degree becomes more like a masters degree and less necessary for the workforce as long as employers are willing to forgo credentials and just hire people willing to learn how to do the work.

Take the stuff powerful white people know and keep out of K-12 curriculum and democratize the knowledge.

Last edited:
Doesn't help that mostly mediocre people end up being high school teachers. Then again we can't pay teachers 500k a year. So I suggest we as a country, instead of doing a purge where you murder people, we randomly select 10% of instagram models to be forced to be married to high school teachers. This will then attract plenty of smart ugly dudes to want to become high school teachers.

If you want to go on Bachelor in Paradise, there's a 10% chance you end up forcibly married to a high school teacher. Then we can have a new reality show where we pair up the instagram models and the teachers to see who would be the best fits. All the proceeds from said reality show go towards paying the teachers inflated salaries.

Human rights activists might have a little gripe with this plan, but let's be real with what we're seeing across the world..... human rights is kinda on its way out.

Last edited:
Not many posters can follow up solid takes with horrible takes like Palma can.

I mean we already have tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in this country being forced in to the sex trade already and we as a society generally look the other way as long as its in a massage setting, let's just admit we have a problem that we can't fix and help our K-12 education at the same time.

Doesn't help that mostly mediocre people end up being high school teachers. Then again we can't pay teachers 500k a year. So I suggest we as a country, instead of doing a purge where you murder people, we randomly select 10% of instagram models to be forced to be married to high school teachers. This will then attract plenty of smart ugly dudes to want to become high school teachers.

If you want to go on Bachelor in Paradise, there's a 10% chance you end up forcibly married to a high school teacher. Then we can have a new reality show where we pair up the instagram models and the teachers to see who would be the best fits. All the proceeds from said reality show go towards paying the teachers inflated salaries.

Human rights activists might have a little gripe with this plan, but let's be real with what we're seeing across the world..... human rights is kinda on its way out.

Still think my idea is pretty solid

Mehlville teacher on administrative leave for slave trade classroom activity

https://www.kmov.com/news/set-your-...cle_28ad01f8-1aca-11ea-8171-4ff6599da67e.html

5743829_slaveryquestion.png

Last edited:
I just hope all these Billy Badass-types who are advising kids not to go to college are hiring kids without college degrees.

New research shows that while going to college still boosts earnings, it no longer boosts wealth like it did for previous generations. This is largely because of the drag of educational debt on graduates' balance sheets, but also has to do with increased consumer debt and inability to buy into the housing and stock markets at an early age to start building wealth over time. Black families are impacted even more than white families, but all saw a precipitous decline. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/college-wealth-premium-collapsed/604579/

The college earnings premium has proved durable and considerable overall. White people born in the middle of the century got more of an earnings boost for attending college than white people born in the 1980s—but the boost for both groups was big. (“People” is close-enough shorthand here; the authors use a more technical household comparison.) And black people born in the ’80s got a similar income bump to black people born in the ’40s and ’50s.

But the wealth premium has collapsed precipitously over the past 50 years. White graduates born in the ’30s were worth 247 percent more than their non-college-educated peers; white people born in the ’80s were worth just 42 percent more. Among black families, the wealth premium sat at more than 500 percent for those born in the ’30s and fell to zero—yes, zero—for those born in the ’70s and ’80s.

I have a question/thought to throw out: let's say that at the time your kids are applying, you qualify for and accept heavy financial aid, even though in the not too far future you will easily have enough money to pay the full tuition bill (ie., your parents pass away and you inherit a large sum or you get a huge salary raise). Is it reasonable to require or expect that you pay back the school when you eventually have the money to do so?

Back