• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Professors often work harder in online courses but aside from a few offices, the rest of the campus doesn’t.

He's dead? That dude was not a good human being, imo.

Funny to see he lived less than half a mile from where I lived in Bayshore.

Because this seems to be the politicized higher education thread, I'll post this here:

https://www.wect.com/2020/07/23/det...nover-co-home-surrounded-by-crime-scene-tape/

Always sucks to see somebody die. This guy was terrible though, and this comes right as UNCW finally revoked his tenure and fired him for continuously bullying students. I know I've talked to phdeac about him before.

He negotiated a $500K settlement to retire early 3 weeks ago.

I’ll be interested to see what more comes out about him. One of the seminal works in sociology was Durkheim’s Suicide. One of the key arguments is that people who are less socially integrated are more likely to commit suicide. Adams had an antagonistic relationship with UNCW but one has to wonder if losing that connection and status pushed him over the edge.

Thanks for these extra details. A settlement seems about right since UNCW wanted him gone and he didn't really seem to want to leave.

He negotiated a $500K settlement to retire early 3 weeks ago.

I’ll be interested to see what more comes out about him. One of the seminal works in sociology was Durkheim’s Suicide. One of the key arguments is that people who are less socially integrated are more likely to commit suicide. Adams had an antagonistic relationship with UNCW but one has to wonder if losing that connection and status pushed him over the edge.

It’s no surprise that you have to be an absolutely miserable person to say the things he said over the years. Once he was retired and he had to just be alone with his own thoughts...

Community colleges have been offering one semester certificates for awhile now. If Google is going to hire their graduates, then people are paying to take an entry level job at Google and get internal training for six months.

Just made my final semester's tuition payment for my youngest kid. He is graduating in Dec. He "accelerated" his senior year by taking his fall classes online over the summer, and his doing his spring classes (which is just an internship) this fall.

If he was a few years younger, we would have DEFINITELY found a cheaper route than paying out-of-state tuition for online classes.

Interesting how the MarketWatch “Plan B” is Plan A or the only higher education plan for most families.

Interesting how the MarketWatch “Plan B” is Plan A or the only higher education plan for most families.

Yeah. Really surprising that a news publication that caters to the affluent publishes stories on how current events impact the affluent.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-11-27/who-gains-most-from-canceling-student-loans

The law not allowing educational debt to be discharged in bankruptcy is inflationary and had a role in the amount of debt student's needed. I would forgive some student loan debt for this reason. Along with debt forgiveness, the law needs to allow discharging educational debt in bankruptcy, and link repayment to a percentage of income. These market forces will be deflationary to tuition and debt.

That was a silly debate. The whole thing was convincing Strain that forgiving up to $50,000 in student loan would help people with low incomes who had to take out debt to go to college. He was worried that it would primarily help doctors and lawyers (whose debt is likely much more than that). He forgot basic math. The debate ends with him basically saying “point still stands.”

Strain should try to get that taken down. He should be embarrassed.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the publisher decided to do a debate and the writers drew straws for sides of the debate. Strain drew short straw.

I assume that any debt forgiveness would be limited to debt held by the US Department of Education. So for people who tried to be proactive in managing their debt and refinanced it with a private lender would be out of luck. Is that right?

I assume that any debt forgiveness would be limited to debt held by the US Department of Education. So for people who tried to be proactive in managing their debt and refinanced it with a private lender would be out of luck. Is that right?
That’s my understanding of all current proposals

Back