• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Public Ivies
https://www.road2college.com/ivy-league-schools-vs-public-ivy-league/

The big difference I see is the networks. The Ivies get you connections to more wealth, and other people who view the world differently. I think there is more of an entrepreneurial vision at Ivies. Kids at other schools are going to get good jobs. Ivy kids are learning to identify societal needs and build companies to meet that need. Not that it is non-existent at Public Ivies, but less. My daughter describes the Entrepreneurial kids at UNC as "weird." I tell her those are the future CEO's. I am sure Gates and Jobs did not come across as cool when in college either.

my son wants to go to Colorado or Denver University. He was also accepted at UNCG and UNCC. Sorry dude - i'm not paying an extra $30k/year for you to get to be in the mountains. It's not like we're comparing Harvard and UNCG here.

Has he heard about UNCA, App, and WCU?

I've only been to Colorado once, but it was p sweet. I'd think it'd be worth $30k/year more than being in Greensboro if he doesn't want to be there.

my son wants to go to Colorado or Denver University. He was also accepted at UNCG and UNCC. Sorry dude - i'm not paying an extra $30k/year for you to get to be in the mountains. It's not like we're comparing Harvard and UNCG here.

Give your kid the equivalent in first year tuition for in-state here (UNCG or UNCC) and tell him to move to Denver or Boulder, get a part time job and go to the local CC fora year, he can use the difference to help pay for living expenses. He can establish residency, save money on tuition, and actually decide if he wants to live in Colorado. Also he'll have to do well in community college to keep his acceptance, so that will incentivize him not to smoke weed 24/7 for the next year (Colorado, I see you kid) and fail out of school and flush your $40-50K down the toilet.

Last edited:

CU Denver?

UNC, but not u*NC-CH.

Give your kid the equivalent in first year tuition for in-state here (UNCG or UNCC) and tell him to move to Denver or Boulder, get a part time job and go to the local CC fora year, he can use the difference to help pay for living expenses. He can establish residency, save money on tuition, and actually decide if he wants to live in Colorado. Also he'll have to do well in community college to keep his acceptance, so that will incentivize him not to smoke weed 24/7 for the next year (Colorado, I see you kid) and fail out of school and flush your $40-50K down the toilet.

this might be the smartest thing Brasky has ever posted. I wish someone forced 18-year old stugotz to work hard.

CU Denver?

No - University of Denver or CU-Boulder.

Brasky - I thought about that approach too; that might work.

He got accepted to App this week so that takes a lot of pressure off the Colorado thing, I think.....still going out to check out campuses next weekend.

Research in state tuition requirements VERY carefully. Many states have closed the various loopholes such as the one Brasky describes. They often have a requirement that the money used to pay tuition come from in state source. This prevents kids from "establishing" residency for a year when it is their parents (who live elsewhere) paying the tuition.

My son went to KU, and we looked at this from all angles. We even bought a house there (as an investment). Still couldn't qualify.

this might be the smartest thing Brasky has ever posted. I wish someone forced 18-year old stugotz to work hard.

Thanks bro. I was also a lazy, unmotivated 18 year old.

But with college tuition becoming so ridiculously inflated, it makes more sense to look at it as either parental compensation for doing well in HS or a loan you're taking out on yourself. We need to stop looking at it as THE next step, and let 18 year old adults make their own decision about how they want to use that compensation, or if they want to take out that loan.

Last edited:
sorry, THAT is the smartest thing Brasky has ever posted. Couldn't agree more with that post, and it is exactly what I have been telling my sons.

Research in state tuition requirements VERY carefully. Many states have closed the various loopholes such as the one Brasky describes. They often have a requirement that the money used to pay tuition come from in state source. This prevents kids from "establishing" residency for a year when it is their parents (who live elsewhere) paying the tuition.

My son went to KU, and we looked at this from all angles. We even bought a house there (as an investment). Still couldn't qualify.

This is news to me. I've still got many years of states getting smarter before I potentially try gaming the system - but do they consider 529 funds "out of state" sources?

In my experience, qualifying your kid for in-state tuition in a state where you don't live almost always involves being comfortable with committing some level of fraud.

I've been told that Georgia will offer "in state tuition" to students from contiguous states. Not sure if that is true or not. My wife told me that regarding our high school age son, but I didn't care enough at the time to look it up.

Re the Colorado schools, I'd tell my son that college is to prepare you for your future, not be a prolonged vacation. If you have the means to finance a summer for him there, then do it. But unless he develops an interest in mining, minerals, or geology, I'd steer him toward a NC public school for his education.

I've been told that Georgia will offer "in state tuition" to students from contiguous states. Not sure if that is true or not. My wife told me that regarding our high school age son, but I didn't care enough at the time to look it up.

Re the Colorado schools, I'd tell my son that college is to prepare you for your future, not be a prolonged vacation. If you have the means to finance a summer for him there, then do it. But unless he develops an interest in mining, minerals, or geology, I'd steer him toward a NC public school for his education.

bingo

Back