• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

the 39 people are stuck competing over the 3 social work jobs

Perhaps your ability to confidently bullshit helped you advance in your career field, but it’s not especially helpful here with us

“According to the projections, the number of states with shortage ratios more severe than the current national ratio will increase from 11 states in 2012 to 30 states by 2030 and the nation will experience a total shortfall of over 195,000 social workers, with the most severe shortages occurring in the western and southern regions of the United States. Further efforts are recommended to investigate shortage dynamics and develop strategies to counter its causes.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26897994/

Plama and Biff both very good at recognizing how common and popular their viewpoints are, yet neither seem to make the connection between those viewpoints and societies problems. On a related note, Plama doesn’t personally recognize the value of social work and thinks all Psychology majors are Psychotherapists, and Biff doesn’t understand why people are called to certain professions *despite* low pay.

It kinda sucks that this thread just evolved into a circle jerk for board lawyers and finance Bros.

Most of the "college degree is a lousy investment" arguments in general are a circle jerk for lawyers and finance bros. It's nice to use it as a bridge for legitimate critiques of higher education, but it's not the purpose. The purpose is to crack on the poors to make them feel better about being sad dads in sad jobs that make their lives comfortable but will never make them as wealthy as the people they serve.

Perhaps your ability to confidently bullshit helped you advance in your career field, but it’s not especially helpful here with us

“According to the projections, the number of states with shortage ratios more severe than the current national ratio will increase from 11 states in 2012 to 30 states by 2030 and the nation will experience a total shortfall of over 195,000 social workers, with the most severe shortages occurring in the western and southern regions of the United States. Further efforts are recommended to investigate shortage dynamics and develop strategies to counter its causes.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26897994/

Pay social workers more.

To introduce serious commentary on the subject, the reason that human services fields don’t pay well is because these careers don’t create wealth and most often serve poorer populations.

To introduce serious commentary on the subject, the reason that human services fields don’t pay well is because these careers don’t create wealth and most often serve poorer populations.

I think this is correct. Things that provide great benefit to society can be grossly under valued in a (quasi)capitalist economy.

Also, some (many?) Of these jobs are local/state/federal government jobs. Government jobs typically pay less than equivalent jobs in the private sector. And that is for all jobs. Dr., lawyer, accountant etc. So not surprising those involved in mental health and other social services are not well paid.

Also, some (many?) Of these jobs are local/state/federal government jobs. Government jobs typically pay less than equivalent jobs in the private sector.

This is a complicated facet of the argument because in many parts of the nation these jobs are only private because the government does not provide human services. Take autism for instance, there are no government run schools or clinics for autism in North Carolina or numerous other states.

As for government positions in human services, these are tremendously underfunded and conservative state governments continually fight to defund or remove these positions altogether, which is why there is such a shortage of the positions.

Good news

Dartmouth announced it's removing federal student loans from its financial aid packages.

Instead, it will expand grant and scholarship options that do not need to be paid back.

It joined a growing number of schools that have removed loans to decrease debt burdens post-grad.

College enrollment dipping. Current generation beginning to say college debt is not worth it. Demands for free college
https://www.yahoo.com/news/college-worth-americans-value-higher-090251500.html

If government is going to forgive student debt, they should not be doing so at market prices. Same for free college. Like Medicare for All, they need to do it at a reduced Medicare rate for education.

The PSFL is already a huge step in that direction. More people just need to take advantage of it.

Today I am registering for 2 online graduate courses at the University of Florida. It is a complete waste since I could probably teach most of the classes at this point in my career, but since my company will pay for it I may as well take advantage. I may just become a semi-professional student as I can get between $7,500 - 10,000 a year in tuition for work related classes.

Today I am registering for 2 online graduate courses at the University of Florida. It is a complete waste since I could probably teach most of the classes at this point in my career, but since my company will pay for it I may as well take advantage. I may just become a semi-professional student as I can get between $7,500 - 10,000 a year in tuition for work related classes.

Pretty soon you will be telling us about the greatness of Tim Tebow and how Billy Napier cant recruit nobody. Do they send you jorts upon acceptance or do they make you buy them yourself at the bookstore?

Back