• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

it seems like you're arguing two different things. if your kid wants to go to calloway, and youre upper middle class it's probs a good investment. if they highly value wake, it's a good investment. if a beach house or or a few thousand square feet or a luxury auto is more your taste, fine send them to state school. wake is pricing people out, but it isnt pricing out many because of the aid. if they wanna go taht bad, make them take out loans. a loan on a benz is a bad investment and people still buy them.

I'd like to know why you keep referring to a beach house or are implying I value luxury items over my children's education? I think Wake is pricing people out and you don't. Fine. Agree to disagree, but stop insinuating.

I'd like to know why you keep referring to a beach house or are implying I value luxury items over my children's education? I think Wake is pricing people out and you don't. Fine. Agree to disagree, but stop insinuating.

arent you the one that brags about your luxury shoes and the ring your fiance bought?

arent you the one that brags about your luxury shoes and the ring your fiance bought?

Brags about the ring my fiance bought me? No. I like shoes. I don't currently have children, but I certainly wouldn't buy shoes in lieu of their education. I have an engagement ring, which I posted a pic of just like half the women on the girls thread. I certainly never bragged about it.

Brags about the ring my fiance bought me? No. I like shoes. I don't currently have children, but I certainly wouldn't buy shoes in lieu of their education. I have an engagement ring, which I posted a pic of just like half the women on the girls thread. I certainly never bragged about it.

maybe you should start a wake fund rather than having a huge wedding, fancy ring, and fancy shoes if you are truly worried about your children's ability to go there. or don't. i don't really care.

maybe you should start a wake fund rather than having a huge wedding, fancy ring, and fancy shoes if you are truly worried about your children's ability to go there. or don't. i don't really care.

I don't know why you keep commenting on my life if you supposedly do not care. I am not even paying for my own wedding, I didn't pay for my engagement ring and I doubt my shoes total prices combined would pay for more than a week at Wake Forest. I said what ten other people on this thread said- that Wake is too expensive for them to send their kids to, even if they are doing pretty well. Why you are targeting me and delving into my personal life, I have no idea, but it's inappropriate and ridiculous.

Many would say the same thing about Law School. I fucked up on my LSAT and am did not get into a great law school (Charleston Law), and now I'm not sure it's worth the $38k a year to attend versus taking time off and going somewhere better, given how crappy the law job market is.

quit crying.

youre the one who's opinions i saw and they stuck out. if you arent willing to defend your opinion to criticism then dont voice it.

my point is simple. it's about priorities. if it really bothers you that much that wake is expensive and you think you wont be able to send your kids there, do something about it. if not, you have only yourself to blame. if you need it, wake will help. they have a great record of financial aid. otherwise send them to public school. you could always say, "parents instead of a giant wedding, id prefer to tuck that money in savings for the betterment of my children's future." the future father of your children's money isn't relevant in discussing how you could pay for them to go to wake?

let's ask awakegirls' opinion on stay at home moms

quit crying.

youre the one who's opinions i saw and they stuck out. if you arent willing to defend your opinion to criticism then dont voice it.

my point is simple. it's about priorities. if it really bothers you that much that wake is expensive and you think you wont be able to send your kids there, do something about it. if not, you have only yourself to blame. if you need it, wake will help. they have a great record of financial aid. otherwise send them to public school. you could always say, "parents instead of a giant wedding, id prefer to tuck that money in savings for the betterment of my children's future." the future father of your children's money isn't relevant in discussing how you could pay for them to go to wake?

Its not that easy. There is a big slot of people who are middle to upper middle class that can't afford Wake without aid but don't really qualify for aid either. Look I like Wake, but its not worth 5x the tuition of a UNC, UVa, etc. That is the point. People shouldn't live above their means, but why would a family adjust their lifestyle for 18 years to send one kid to Wake when there are other way cheaper comparable options?

props to awakegirl for signing her negrep.

to the anon negrep pussy, the reason im "harping on awakegirl" is that i started at page 6 with her diatribe. so thats who i focused in on.

Its not that easy. There is a big slot of people who are middle to upper middle class that can't afford Wake without aid but don't really qualify for aid either. Look I like Wake, but its not worth 5x the tuition of a UNC, UVa, etc. That is the point. People shouldn't live above their means, but why would a family adjust their lifestyle for 18 years to send one kid to Wake when there are other way cheaper comparable options?

wake was cheaper for me than unc or uva. my parents are middle class to upper middle class (depending on your definition). i graduated with student loans. ive never had trouble paying them. they suck. thats life. had i gone to uf for free (a very good school) im almost sure i wouldnt be where i am today as most of my friends that went there (as bright kids with schollies) are back in tampa doing nothing.

its about priorities. my school loans are less than a car payment. i dont have a car. id rather have an education. could i have gotten as good of an education at uf? probably. but i doubt i would have.

the positive externalities of going to wake are severely undervalued here. at wake, youre surrounded by achievers. at unc, you arent. at uva you arent. if youre a self-motivator, sure you can probably be fine with an ecu degree. if you are smart enough to get in to wake, but struggle with temptations wake is a far better choice.

Right but Wake is starting to get to a level where it would price out a potential student like yourself.

Right but Wake is starting to get to a level where it would price out a potential student like yourself.

i graduated in 2008. its not that much different unless theyve cut the aid. for the record, id have no loans had i graduated on time and not gone to summer school. granted my parents paid a fair amount in tuition, but i believe it was less than half.

5 negreps. 2 signed. cudos to itk and awakegirl.

hilarious i get the most negreps ive ever gotten for a thread in which i defend going to our illustrious alma mater.

The other issue is whether you'll be done with an undergrad degree. If your Wake degree is as far as you're going... then fine pay some loans off over your career, it sucks but not awful. But if you want to do any grad schools then you're either piling on even more debt or busting your ass trying to pay them early and delaying grad school work. Don't know that a Wake undergrad degree is so awesome that it is worth that.

wake was cheaper for me than unc or uva. my parents are middle class to upper middle class (depending on your definition). i graduated with student loans. ive never had trouble paying them. they suck. thats life. had i gone to uf for free (a very good school) im almost sure i wouldnt be where i am today as most of my friends that went there (as bright kids with schollies) are back in tampa doing nothing.

Agreed, and UF is one of the top public schools in the country. However, I do feel how you end up after college is more about what you do while there than where you go.

I don't think wake was a very good investment for me, I had like 20k in loans when I graduated, which isnt that much but so far since I've graduated I've been a teacher and a research assistant (not exactly lucrative fields). Also, where phan needed other people around him doing work, I don't and probably would have gotten better grades at an easy state school. Granted Im from VA and didnt get into UVA but I coulda gone anywhere else in state and with the exception of W&M, I coulda worked less and got better grades. Presumably setting me up for the same or better jobs as when I lived in DC cause Va tech and JMU degrees are perfectly acceptable in DC.

Granted I wouldnt have my current job without wake.

quit crying.

I am defending them. I don't even have children. I think Wake and other colleges are not worth what they're asking when you can go to a State school. That's about it. What people around me spend money on is none of your business and frankly I find it semi-stalkerish that you remember so many details about my life.

Back