Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1030

Thread: A college degree is a lousy investment

We're going through the process right now with my son and we told him he could apply to out of state schools but he would have to have a really compelling case of why they offer something different from his in-state options before we'd ever send him to one.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Quote Originally Posted by awaken View Post
    I've been told that Georgia will offer "in state tuition" to students from contiguous states. Not sure if that is true or not. My wife told me that regarding our high school age son, but I didn't care enough at the time to look it up.

Re the Colorado schools, I'd tell my son that college is to prepare you for your future, not be a prolonged vacation. If you have the means to finance a summer for him there, then do it. But unless he develops an interest in mining, minerals, or geology, I'd steer him toward a NC public school for his education.
    What about skiing ?

Quote Originally Posted by JonasDeac View Post
    This is news to me. I've still got many years of states getting smarter before I potentially try gaming the system - but do they consider 529 funds "out of state" sources?
    Kansas and Kentucky (where my daughter went) did not. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleDeacon View Post
    We're going through the process right now with my son and we told him he could apply to out of state schools but he would have to have a really compelling case of why they offer something different from his in-state options before we'd ever send him to one.
    Our son wants to get away and only applied in state to Wake and Davidson (he has expensive tastes).

I totally agree with the sentiment of this post but we really want him to experience something different in terms of geography. I suspect if he gets in, he'll end up at Wake which isn't all that different from where we live though he may go to Miami which has the programs he's interested in. Schools do throw a lot of cash at students these days. What did Kramer used to say? Only suckers pay retail? Leave it to my kid to make me a sucker. I do admit having him at Wake vs. Boston/Miami is an attractive option (for his mom). Should know in the next few weeks.

Our youngest applied to good schools in Colorado, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Got into all but going to App. Given the choice between state school and a vehicle or private school and no vehicle also helps them think through the options with better clarity. Our oldest is already at App and loves every minute there, even this year.

We loved touring at App. I can see why people like it there. Bet climbing those hills, stairs in icy snow gets old quick though.

Columbia's segregated graduation ceremonies
    https://news.yahoo.com/columbia-univ...183204397.html

Quote Originally Posted by CHDeac View Post
    Our son wants to get away and only applied in state to Wake and Davidson (he has expensive tastes).

I totally agree with the sentiment of this post but we really want him to experience something different in terms of geography. I suspect if he gets in, he'll end up at Wake which isn't all that different from where we live though he may go to Miami which has the programs he's interested in. Schools do throw a lot of cash at students these days. What did Kramer used to say? Only suckers pay retail? Leave it to my kid to make me a sucker. I do admit having him at Wake vs. Boston/Miami is an attractive option (for his mom). Should know in the next few weeks.
    We really encouraged our kids to go away to college. Meet different kinds of people, etc. And since in state tuition in CA is pretty damn high, plus housing in places like the Bay Area, LA or SD is crazy, it was about the same cost for them to go out of state. Not the case for many of you in SC/NC, I know, so the financial advantage of staying in state is pretty attractive.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

A college degree is a lousy investment

Quote Originally Posted by awaken View Post
    Columbia's segregated graduation ceremonies
    https://news.yahoo.com/columbia-univ...183204397.html
    Warning: National Review article full of misleading white supremacist fake sincere bullshit.

The truth is Columbia has the main graduation ceremony and many campus groups host smaller celebrations that anybody can attend. Nothing sinister. No different than plenty of other universities.

Do better, awaken.