• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Application fees are a way to pay people in admissions who have to bother to process an application. It seems like the old purpose of application fees used to be to discourage people who wouldn't get in from bothering to apply. Now it's been distorted to encourage people who won't get in to apply so they can scoop up the fees.

8e7EOyj.gif

Interesting NPR profile of two colleges that offer free tuition.
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/10/7763...hools-have-made-free-college-work-for-decades

When students couldn't afford to pay for tuition, school officials eliminated it.

"Berea College has not been collecting tuition from students since 1892," says Jeff Amburgey, Berea's vice president of finance.

To cover costs without tuition revenue, Berea's board of trustees did something almost 100 years ago that impacts its financial situation today. In 1920, the board ruled that any unrestricted money given to the college would be invested in an endowment to grow over time.

The endowment is now worth around $1.2 Billion, and profits from the investments cover a large portion of what it costs to educate more than 1,600 students.

Most students come from Appalachia. They all come from low-income families. And none pays for tuition.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/10/7763...hools-have-made-free-college-work-for-decades

When students couldn't afford to pay for tuition, school officials eliminated it.

"Berea College has not been collecting tuition from students since 1892," says Jeff Amburgey, Berea's vice president of finance.

To cover costs without tuition revenue, Berea's board of trustees did something almost 100 years ago that impacts its financial situation today. In 1920, the board ruled that any unrestricted money given to the college would be invested in an endowment to grow over time.

The endowment is now worth around $1.2 Billion, and profits from the investments cover a large portion of what it costs to educate more than 1,600 students.

Most students come from Appalachia. They all come from low-income families. And none pays for tuition.

teaching home of bell hooks

Berea is also a work college where all students work a set number of hours per week on campus

That’s part of the article.

Republican student loan official who quit: The current system is 'an abomination'
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...student-loan-official-who-quit-190422211.html

“Right now, the federal government produces an unlimited amount of money to meet up with whatever pricing the universities want to charge,” he told Yahoo Finance’s On The Move (video above). “The way to basically stop the runaway train is to actually stop the unlimited supply of money coming from the federal government.”

^^ This guy understands Econ 101.

Impose a 1% tax on for-profit companies on top-line revenue. “Who is the beneficiary of an educated and skilled workforce? ... It's corporate America,” Johnson stressed. “This is a tax on corporate top-line revenue, not bottom-line revenue.”

...forgiving student loans could also stimulate the economy in the near term by serving as a “tax-cut-like stimulus.”

And while the moves above look more like those of Democratic presidential candidates Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Johnson said they are necessary to fix the rotten core of the system.

“I give appropriate credit and recognition to them having brought this forward as a major, major topic,” Johnson said. “I happen to believe that this subject will become one of the critical defining subjects for the 2020 election cycle.”

He also wants student loan debt dis-chargeable in bankruptcy.

Graduate and immediately declare bankruptcy, or just go without a job for any short period of time and ditch all loans and profit.

I knew it would happen eventually. I saw an ad for BS College. Bryant Stratton College. Now you can get your BS from BS.

teaching home of bell hooks

Berea is also a work college where all students work a set number of hours per week on campus

Have a good friend who graduated from Berea; it was a good situation from him, the lone college grad in his low-income family. Got a good education in a lovely setting too.

Application fees are a way to pay people in admissions who have to bother to process an application. It seems like the old purpose of application fees used to be to discourage people who wouldn't get in from bothering to apply. Now it's been distorted to encourage people who won't get in to apply so they can scoop up the fees.

Related:
76638479_2583739718391882_9179594380099452928_n.jpg

A third Appalachian college is joining them.

UVa-Wise to offer free tuition for families earning $40000 or less

So Berea, Alice Lloyd, and Wise are providing upward mobility to the poor in their area. I hope their model catches on. #bootstraps and all that.
Meanwhile, Wake serves primarily rich kids, charges $70k/yr, graduates kids with tens of thousands in debt, and has the audacity to use Pro Humanitate as their motto.

Department of Education just released a new website called the College Scoreboard that shows not only admissions statistics, but also cost and salary after graduation statistics which they break out by major.

Here's the link for Wake Forest's statistics: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/school/?199847-Wake-Forest-University

Damn, I was way above their stated Median Total Debt After Graduation.  And that was 10 years ago.

I snowballed and was able to aggressively pay off my loans in less than 5 years, but I wonder where I'd be if I never had that loan debt.

Graduate and immediately declare bankruptcy, or just go without a job for any short period of time and ditch all loans and profit.

This reasoning is exactly why they made the law in the first place. I think doctors were abusing the old system the most as they endured most of the 7 year bankruptcy term during their residency and early career. Same irresponsible behavior could be done by running up credit card debt on exotic vacations and Vegas binges then declaring bankruptcy. But most people don't do that. They are responsible, and honorable. And bankruptcy sucks. Those giving loans they had to cover the risk of the irresponsible few by raising interest rates. This did not cause a national crisis.

So Berea, Alice Lloyd, and Wise are providing upward mobility to the poor in their area. I hope their model catches on. #bootstraps and all that.
Meanwhile, Wake serves primarily rich kids, charges $70k/yr, graduates kids with tens of thousands in debt, and has the audacity to use Pro Humanitate as their motto.

$77,342 for 2020-21

$9,848 to share a double room for less than 9 months. I know it includes utilities and such but even with that, two people paying that much is like paying a mortgage for a nice 3/2 in a nice neighborhood in a midsize city.

Back