• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

They don't teach a/an distinctions at dropout, do they?

Being an asshole aside, I do agree that encouraging kids to go to school later in life would be good for many people.

The problem is most history majors are working the same shitty jobs as the kids who didn't graduate. Waiting table's with a history degree and paying off student loans is far worse than just waiting tables.
Economically short term it is much worse, but you shouldn't discount the sociological value of a college education and diploma. There are always going to be doors and windows that open for college graduates that don't open for non.

I agree that college is not the best route for everyone and I have enormous admiration for two clients in particular that have built amazing businesses without a college degree. (One actually dropped out of high school). But for people that work for companies rather than start companies, there is a higher risk when it comes time to find a new job.

Economically short term it is much worse, but you shouldn't discount the sociological value of a college education and diploma. There are always going to be doors and windows that open for college graduates that don't open for non.
Meh, you know what has more sociological value? Shit tons of straight cash homie

I agree that college is not the best route for everyone and I have enormous admiration for two clients in particular that have built amazing businesses without a college degree. (One actually dropped out of high school). But for people that work for companies rather than start companies, there is a higher risk when it comes time to find a new job.

Exactly. You're much more likely to hear about the people without degrees who are successful. But I would bet that in reality, there are tons more people out there with CC or trade degrees that are struggling along.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlindsay/2015/01/13/new-study-blasts-college-tuition-deception/

Confirmation of the obscene inflation in college tuition, as if anyone didn't know.

At the WFU level, I can't help but cringe at the self-defeating idea of a "Pro Humanitate Institute". http://news.wfu.edu/2015/01/14/medi...ve-director-of-wfus-pro-humanitate-institute/ If WFU was concerned about Pro Humanitate (as I view the concept), I suggest they would do better by hiring fewer admins and concentrating on the pressing human issue of keeping tuition affordable.

I love Wake, but it reminds me of a poker game with friends where the stakes start to get painfully high. They will always be friends but the game is no longer for me.

Good article overall. The stuff about administrators and faculty were dead on.

It stumbles when the author tries to add his two cents. While I agree a larger federal role isn't necessarily the answer, this seems to be a blind belief in the states.

Finally, although Mussano and Iosue are doubtless correct that the federal government must have a role in acquiring this needed national data, the implementation of performance-based funding formulas based on these data should be left to the states, not to the federal government, which has shown itself to be less than reliable in this area.

States aren't going to effectively police their own institutions except to exert political power. Legislatures are largely made up of grads from State U. and State State. The public schools that lack representation will suffer. Also, people don't decide where they're going to school solely within state lines so unique standards for each state aren't going to help to compare North State U. and South State U. to SW State U.

Another issue is students largely like the college experiences they're getting. They like the fancy rec centers. They like the vegan options at the dining hall. The institution that scales back luxuries and administrators who provide those luxuries risk losing the fight to get the best students. The truth is the top students are like Harry Giles. They're going to be great wherever they go to college and they're going to do fine once they leave. The top students help the university more than vice versa. As long as those students name the game they want to play, everybody else will play it.

Just jumping in here; did anyone else not realize that Brian Williams (NBC anchor) dropped out of school after completing only 18 credits? While he says it's his biggest regret, I was quite amazed to hear that.

Just jumping in here; did anyone else not realize that Brian Williams (NBC anchor) dropped out of school after completing only 18 credits? While he says it's his biggest regret, I was quite amazed to hear that.

Now he can go back and finish. I don't think this is entirely correct though. I thought he had an associate's degree from the community college across the street from where I grew up.

weird to regret dropping out of school and ending up making millions (despite losing his job for a dumb Fish tale). sounds like something you say to interviewers to sound humble

weird to regret dropping out of school and ending up making millions (despite losing his job for a dumb Fish tale). sounds like something you say to interviewers to sound humble

Just another lie, ITC, just another lie.

"Man, I really wish I had gone to college instead of head down my career path that ended with a 8 figure annual salary." said no one ever.

Good article, refuting the notion that life is ruined if you didn't get into the overpriced private university or declined the invitation for soul-crushing debt. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/o...ons-madness.html?smid=fb-nytopinion&smtyp=cur

"Midway through last year, I looked up the undergraduate alma maters of the chief executives of the top 10 corporations in the Fortune 500. These were the schools: the University of Arkansas; the University of Texas; the University of California, Davis; the University of Nebraska; Auburn; Texas A & M; the General Motors Institute (now called Kettering University); the University of Kansas; the University of Missouri, St. Louis; and Dartmouth College."

Back