• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is inside scoop on bball pause?

ACC has 4 coaches that are 70+

Hope they are all able to keep themselves and their families safe through the season. If we do this right in terms of making sure even one positive case in a program means a 10 day pause (avoids a Delaware State infecting Wake situation), there is an opportunity to make players safer than the average college student through constant testing and monitoring. Hopefully by protecting players with testing and pause periods we can protect coaches. On the basketball front, four coaches being 70+ is another reason to be pumped up about our future. In five years, Forbes will likely be one of the more established head coaches in the league which will make him a media darling and more well known for recruiting.

Plus Roy turned 70 in August.

I see what you're saying, NJ. But on the other hand, Bennett, Mack, Keatts, and Brownell are younger than Forbes are will be around for awhile.

Not sure Keatts and Brownell have done well enough to say they’ll be around for a while. Wasn’t brownell in line to be let go last year if the pandemic hadn’t happened?

Right, I'm not a fan of K, but the fact that Duke also led the way in cancelling last spring makes me less suspicious of his motives.

Seth G just put his spin on K's comments. "It's not an NCAA issue, it's a school and conference issue. If a school feels they should pause, then pause, same for a conference."

I don’t see the harm in suspending the season for a few months. I’m sure the main concern for the NCAA is keeping tournament TV partners happen in May.

Not sure Keatts and Brownell have done well enough to say they’ll be around for a while. Wasn’t brownell in line to be let go last year if the pandemic hadn’t happened?

Brownell was on the big time hot seat a season or two ago, but he seems to have righted the ship at least temporarily. Agree with you that the jury remains out on Keatts.

Bilas was calling for an evaluation of the situation and threw out a possible 30 day pause. I agree with him, and K now that I consider it more, that leadership on the covid plan appears lacking. And we all know why they are playing (tv/NCAA tourney $). But what would a 30 day pause accomplish? It sucks these players can't go home for thanksgiving or Christmas. But if you give them 30 days off, the situation will be no better, and likely worse, in 30 days, and they will have been out of the covid protocol that each team created.

Seth G just put his spin on K's comments. "It's not an NCAA issue, it's a school and conference issue. If a school feels they should pause, then pause, same for a conference."

ESPN hoops announcers have a vested interest in the games continuing to be played and televised. I saw Seth's and Laphonso Ellis' comments, which basically disagreed with K. The ESPN stance on this issue is very interesting. On one hand, its boy K is making headline worthy statements that ESPN ordinarily would be all over ad nauseum. But it is not in the network's interest for the games to be suspended.

Brownell was on the big time hot seat a season or two ago, but he seems to have righted the ship at least temporarily. Agree with you that the jury remains out on Keatts.

Bilas was calling for an evaluation of the situation and threw out a possible 30 day pause. I agree with him, and K now that I consider it more, that leadership on the covid plan appears lacking. And we all know why they are playing (tv/NCAA tourney $). But what would a 30 day pause accomplish? It sucks these players can't go home for thanksgiving or Christmas. But if you give them 30 days off, the situation will be no better, and likely worse, in 30 days, and they will have been out of the covid protocol that each team created.
And they would need to quarantine getting home and getting back to the team. Reality is CBB players have rarely been able to go home for either holiday with few exceptions. We used to be able to pay for them to fly home from away games that rarely got scheduled to close fall semester. Lots of focused practice and and team bonding opportunities over holiday breaks.

We are back in the return to play segment of the protocol, fwiw.

Any chance we could pick up any local opponents?

Last edited:
". After practice, according to Forbes, players leave, grab a meal to go and go back to their rooms, alone."

If this is the case, then I really believe we just need to pause the seasons of all college sports. Let the kids be with their families, and do the on-line school thing for the next few months until this is over.

This is no way to spend the holidays just so ESPN can have some content, and the NCAA can make its cash on the backs of their beloved "student-athletes"

". After practice, according to Forbes, players leave, grab a meal to go and go back to their rooms, alone."

If this is the case, then I really believe we just need to pause the seasons of all college sports. Let the kids be with their families, and do the on-line school thing for the next few months until this is over.

This is no way to spend the holidays just so ESPN can have some content, and the NCAA can make its cash on the backs of their beloved "student-athletes"

Yeah, that is really sad. Be interesting to know the players true feelings. If its worth it to them to play, then they should get to, but if most of their hearts aren't in it, not worth it.

Completely agree. The NCAA has shown no desire to lead. They're only interested in making it through March Madness.

Back