• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My favorite albums of 2020

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
25. Jake Blount - Spider Tales
24. Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas
23. SAULT - Untitled (Black Is)
22. Sylvan Esso - Free Love
21. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
20. Mountain Goats - Getting into Knives
19. Himalayan Bear - Factual Past
18. Alex Sadnik - Self Portrait Delay
17. Young Jesus - Welcome to Conceptual Beach
16. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
15. John McKiel - Bobby Joe Hope
14. Thundercat - It Is What It Is
13. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
12. Bartees Strange - Live Forever
11. Adrianne Lenker - songs
10. Khruangbin - Mordecai
9. Kevin Morby - Sundowner
8. This is the Kit - Off Off On
7. Moses Sumney - Grae
6. Car Seat Headrest - Making a Door Less Open
5. Mac Miller - Circles
4. Rose City Band - Summerlong
3. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
2. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
1. Microphones - Microphones in 2020

With all apologies to anything that comes out in December. Please give me more good stuff to listen to! Continuing my trend of the last couple years I listened to even less music than the year before, only ~150 albums > 1 time. Many of these albums made late night appearances rocking my son to sleep in my arms. I can't really imagine that feeling or memory will leave me any time soon. The lad simply loves Phoebe Bridgers and side 2 of Getting into Knives.

Last edited:
a few Chicago albums that come to mind:

Flowers of Devotion - Dehd
Ajai - Serengeti and Kenny Segal
My Heart is an Open Field - Tenci
We're New Again -- Makaya McCraven (reimagining of Gil Scott Heron's last album)

man I just did NOT like that Car Seat Headrest album, and I wanted to so badly

25. Jake Blount - Spider Tales
24. Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas
23. SAULT - Untitled (Black Is)
22. Sylvan Esso - Free Love
21. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
20. Mountain Goats - Getting into Knives
19. Himalayan Bear - Factual Past
18. Alex Sadnik - Self Portrait Delay
17. Young Jesus - Root and Crown
16. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
15. John McKiel - Bobby Joe Hope
14. Thundercat - It Is What It Is
13. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
12. Bartees Strange - Live Forever
11. Adrianne Lenker - songs
10. Khruangbin - Mordecai
9. Kevin Morby - Sundowner
8. This is the Kit - Off Off On
7. Moses Sumney - Grae
6. Car Seat Headrest - Making a Door Less Open
5. Mac Miller - Circles
4. Rose City Band - Summerlong
3. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
2. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
1. Microphones - Microphones in 2020

With all apologies to anything that comes out in December. Please give me more good stuff to listen to! Continuing my trend of the last couple years I listened to even less music than the year before, only ~150 albums > 1 time. Many of these albums made late night appearances rocking my son to sleep in my arms. I can't really imagine that feeling or memory will leave me any time soon. The lad simply loves Phoebe Bridgers and side 2 of Getting into Knives.

I'm impressed you made it to that many with a little guy taking up a bunch of time.

I've never been really into music, but I certainly listen to music way less than I did pre-kids.

man I just did NOT like that Car Seat Headrest album, and I wanted to so badly

Took me a lot of listens, but I love it now. Deadlines: Hostile is one of my top 2 or 3 most listened to tunes of the year.

i don't think i listened to much new music this year (i'mma attribute that to covid), certainly not enough to make a list like i've joined in doing in past years

here are some albums i loved that you didn't name:
Hamilton Leithauser - The Loves of Your Life (maybe a bit predictable, but this was an easy top 3 album for me this year. "don't check the score" and "here they come" are so good)

Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (top 5 album of the year for me, and considering it came out in like january, the subject matter was PRESCIENT given the covid/blm unrest to come)

Porridge Radio - Every Bad (they remind me a little bit of Savages... this is an ANGSTY, at times angry album, and i adore it. YOU WILL LIKE ME WHEN YOU MEET ME, YOU WILL LIKE ME WHEN YOU MEET ME)

Woods - Strange to Explain (i always really liked woods' "at echo lake" but have never been able to get into their later albums... this one is very, very good)

Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM (fuck yeah jeff, get it jeff, let's go jeff)

King Krule - Man Alive! (it's good! my least favorite album of Marshall's, but that's a high bar, and it's still a pretty good album)

Wolf Parade - Thin Mind (not GREAT, but a bit of a return to form, probs the best album of theirs since mt zoomer)

Last edited:
Listened to a lot of Folklore in our house - Townie, you too cool to put that one on there?
Also liked the new Fleet Foxes and Future Islands, and I have a mancrush on Matt Berninger and could listen to him/the National all day, so I would add his album.
And the Strokes, can't forget the Strokes.

I absolutely loathe the Taylor Swift album. Also extremely disappointed with the new Fleet Foxes. Snoozefest.

After Hours from The Weekend was a good album. Sturgill’s bluegrass album was probably my fave listen this year.

I’m surprised with the Tame Impala inclusion. I found that album pretty lackluster.

After Hours from The Weekend was a good album. Sturgill’s bluegrass album was probably my fave listen this year.

I’m surprised with the Tame Impala inclusion. I found that album pretty lackluster.

Haven't really fucked with The Weeknd since House of Balloons. I like the Sturgill album ok, haven't really felt the need to go back much--recommend that Jake Blount.

I think Tame Impala have grown with each album. I think a lot of their stuff takes a while to grow on you, but once you've listened a couple times it really sinks in and catches, same as this Car Seat Headrest. Teens of Denial was an instant hit for me, but Door Less Open took a half dozen tries before I loved it.

Also I have probably posted about it a dozen times on the music thread, but same with Mac Miller. I think he grew an incredible amount in the last couple years of his career, and I think he had a complete masterpiece in him if he'd been able to stick around. Circles to me is a goodbye album on par with Blackstar, just a devastating and beautiful album.

Didn’t listen to much music this year. Disappointed that more of my favorites didn’t release music

Bartees Strange - Live Forever
Mountain Goats - Songs For Pierre Chauvin
Young Jesus - Welcome to Conceptual Beach
Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris
Bully - Sugaregg
Kevin Morby - Sundowner
Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
Chicano Batman - Color My Life
Future Islands - As Long As You Are
The Weekend - Afterhours
Cut Worms - Nobody Lives Here Anymore
Fat Tony - Exotica
Bright Eyes - Down In The Weeds, Where The World Once Was
Deftones - Ohms

Last edited:
I’m old and listen mostly to old stuff from the 90s and early 2000s or new stuff from guys or groups that were around back then. So, with that in mind, Bill Callahan’s Gold Record and Steve Malkmus’ Traditional Techniques were really good.

Back