• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at L'ville -- Saturday December 12 - Noon - ACCN

Apparently he cleared protocol but just hadn't recovered his wind and strength enough to play. Hope he gets better quickly. Don't want this to mess up his pro career before it starts.

If there is one positive of this strange season, its that those guys have gotten good experience and it hasn't cost them a year eligibility.
A definite plus. The pessimistic side of me says that every school in the country gains this same advantage. So we have to hope that our program development is better than that of our competitors.

Just my 2 cents worth, but the biggest problem with our coaches is that they are also our recruiters. There is a reason our 3 and sometimes our 2 star recruits are generally rated in the 50's or there abouts. Yes we occasionally find a diamond in the rough, but I really don't think we are as talented overall as most of our opponents. IMHO opinion this shows up primarily on the offensive and defensive lines. I'm sure the coaches do their best, but we all are aware of the problems in recruiting talent to Wake. Realistically, 6 and sometimes a 7 win is about what we expect. We can beat teams with even or a little better talent, but will have trouble with the top tier ACC teams.

Just have to add the obligatory “I hate Louisville.” From the Orange Bowl to their inclusion in the ACC to Wakeyleaks to the present day, there’s just nothing about this program I admire. I’m happy Satterfield forced Cardinal fans to acknowledge the obvious: he wants to get out of there when the right situation presents itself.

Boogie is the man. Hope he makes a full recovery and enjoys a high draft pick.

In other news, UNC absolutely destroying Miami. 34 - 3 still in first half...

A complete team effort. Every phase of the game was lousy.

The final 13:24 was embarrassing. Cut the lead to seven, then watch the team do a fold after the pass interference penalty.

Clawson needs to hire a top defensive coach. 186 points surrendered in four losses is sufficient explanation.

Hartman had a very rough game. He was way off target on several throws. I think if he plays well we keep the defense off the field and have a chance. Our defense is not good especially without Basham.

A complete team effort. Every phase of the game was lousy.

The final 13:24 was embarrassing. Cut the lead to seven, then watch the team do a fold after the pass interference penalty.

Clawson needs to hire a top defensive coach. 186 points surrendered in four losses is sufficient explanation.

If we ever hope to challenge for the top of our division, the defense has to be vastly improved. Includes coaching and getting more size and athleticism at linebacker.

Just my 2 cents worth, but the biggest problem with our coaches is that they are also our recruiters. There is a reason our 3 and sometimes our 2 star recruits are generally rated in the 50's or there abouts. Yes we occasionally find a diamond in the rough, but I really don't think we are as talented overall as most of our opponents. IMHO opinion this shows up primarily on the offensive and defensive lines. I'm sure the coaches do their best, but we all are aware of the problems in recruiting talent to Wake. Realistically, 6 and sometimes a 7 win is about what we expect. We can beat teams with even or a little better talent, but will have trouble with the top tier ACC teams.

I don’t know if are comparing our recruiting to previous Wake coaches or to other ACC programs, but I think our talent level has far outpaced our recruiting rankings. I think our talent depth under Clawson is far superior to Grobes teams, even while Clawsons actual recruiting rankings are about the same as Grobes were, and we don’t even have to hear about that gimmicky redshirt system every season.

While Clawson talks about how pleased he is that we played hard in our last couple of losses, I don’t buy it on the defensive side. Defense (excepting Basham, Anderson and a couple of others) seems to take quite a few plays off, as evidenced by lack of pass rush and wide open receivers. It also may be poor conditioning. The NC Sate and Carolina defenses were much more effective than us in the fourth quarter of those losses.

Ha. Just noticed something. Thought I’d check out team defensive statistics. Seeing Marshall at 2 was eye opening. Looked at who their DC was... Brad Lambert, DC for Grobe from 08-10.

Not advocating Dave goes out and hires him, because I remember the defense getting progressively worse during his tenure. But I wish we had someone with a more proven track record like Lambert rather than hiring some young gun out of Stony Brook. I think Hemphill has the potential to be a good coordinator. We played well against UVA and Tech. But we also continue to have issues making adjustments in game, most notably against NC State early in the season, and again today. Clearly, in the first quarter, Hemphill was better prepared from the start. But as the game went on, Louisville adjusted and we didn’t.

We have the same issues every year with tackling when we get to second and third strings. Speed is something you can’t coach. Hopefully we start winning some recruiting battles (specifically at linebacker) when our shiny facilities can open up to recruits again.

I think having someone with experience and age would be beneficial to Hemphill and our defense. I’m thinking kind of like what Herm Edwards has at Arizona State with Marvin Lewis. Now I doubt we get someone with that level of experience, but you get the point.
cfd0c5134223fae54639c14f08194906.jpg

If we ever hope to challenge for the top of our division, the defense has to be vastly improved. Includes coaching and getting more size and athleticism at linebacker.

You do realize the top our division is Clemson, right? We have made great strides under Dave with lots of room for more gains.

Surprised Boogie "opted out" 20 minutes before the game. No injury designation, right?

It's going to take a miracle. This one is probably over.

Next time await the facts. Not their job to clue us all in on personal medical stuff. Trust goes both ways.

Lambert took over for Hood. Hood left for Western Kentucky and Lambert was the first coach at UNC-Charlotte.

I wonder if we have any former players that would take a look at the job in the near future.

Obviously Brad White is at UK and most likely not interested. He’s the smartest player I met during my time at Wake and a really nice guy.

You do realize the top our division is Clemson, right? We have made great strides under Dave with lots of room for more gains.

Two key words I used, "hope" and "challenge". Let's hope 2021 brings better possibilities.

Just finished watching. No comment other than to say an extremely disappointing performance. I love Dave, but the more these head-scratching losses pile up, the more worried I get about his ability to keep the program at a high level.

I get it, Covid and all, but that was just a flat-out embarrassing loss to a weak 3-7 Louisville team. (And I hate Louisville and am sick of losing to them.)

If that's the best we're going to do the rest of the way, shut it down and limit everybody's exposure to the virus. I have no confidence that we'll beat FSU after today. Pitiful.

Plain and simple, we have a talent deficiency at some key positions on defense ( I am not defending Hemphill here at all) and we have to find better athletes with more speed

Just have to add the obligatory “I hate Louisville.” From the Orange Bowl to their inclusion in the ACC to Wakeyleaks to the present day, there’s just nothing about this program I admire. I’m happy Satterfield forced Cardinal fans to acknowledge the obvious: he wants to get out of there when the right situation presents itself.

Well said and I agree.

Back