• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at L'ville -- Saturday December 12 - Noon - ACCN

Plain and simple, we have a talent deficiency at some key positions on defense ( I am not defending Hemphill here at all) and we have to find better athletes with more speed

I don’t think it’s speed, at least in the secondary. I don’t think they are where they need to be.

If the Panthers don't resign Samuel, suddenly they have another need at WR as well. He was pretty valuable this year. But I get it if the choice is between the top OL and arguably #2 receiver.

Louisville does not belong in the ACC for any reason. Swofford just hated WVA so much because WVA hates UNC (I read their sports boards), he made the bad choice.
Academics at WVA are far superior to Louisville, a commuter school.

Our Deacons looked sad yesterday, like a spring scrimmage team really. Our timing and rhythm were all off. You cannot play at a high level after 6-7 weeks of being off and your top players missing.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s speed, at least in the secondary. I don’t think they are where they need to be.

This. I think we have the talent in the secondary, but their alignment and communication is bad.

I think we lack the speed at LB. We don't have much lateral speed there. Up the middle we are ok, but getting to the edge, in coverage and closing quick to the offside are problems for this crew.

Andersen is a nice feel good story and he has made some nice plays this year but he routinely gets abused during the game. The talent in our secondary must be terrible if Masterson and Andersen get all the reps. Our linebackers are slow, poor tacklers and out of position. These weaknesses need to be addressed if we plan on being competitive. Its been the same problem year after year.

Anderson helped us win and play so well that day.

Since then he has looked like a walk-on and UNC was incredible.

Yes. It’s time we all just acknowledge that UNC has an all-world offense and move on from that game. They just put up 62 points and 750 yards on a 1 loss top 10 Miami team. UNC has scored 45+ in 6 games this season, and 56+ in 4 games. Our defense isn’t good, but that game was not a measuring stick.

I’m not convinced there is a lack of talent in the secondary. Wake just seems to have a difficult time putting the same guys out there 2 weeks in a row. Taylor is the only one with experience that doesn’t seem to be made of porcelain. Masterson needs to go back to rover. He seemed to be the most productive there. If he comes back next year he needs to play there or add 5-10 pounds and play linebacker. He and Redd (if they come back) should make a nice combo. The 185lb Williams kid seems to be too close to the LOS for his size. A healthy Greer, Rucker and Anderson would be a pretty good trio of safeties. If Taylor comes back, then the corner position seems real strong.

Buuuut... then there are the miss fitting, slow footed and tackle missing linebackers. It seems like that is a recruiting blind spot.

Got the two, but didn't agree with the call. My feeling is never go for two until you have to.

Go for two and miss, it's a two score game. My thinking is keep it a one score game.

This is absolutely correct....and nearly every coach would tell you the same thing. If you are down 15 and score, almost every coach would kick the extra point to make it a one score game. PH has it backwards. You should NEVER go for two when you are 9 points behind.

This is absolutely correct....and nearly every coach would tell you the same thing. If you are down 15 and score, almost every coach would kick the extra point to make it a one score game. PH has it backwards. You should NEVER go for two when you are 9 points behind.

nope

you're going to need to go for two at some point some better to do it early and have more information and time to adjust if you don't get it

Coaches are starting to go for 2 when they're down 14 and score. Postal is behind the times here.

Got the two, but didn't agree with the call. My feeling is never go for two until you have to.

nope

you're going to need to go for two at some point some better to do it early and have more information and time to adjust if you don't get it

That is the one argument for going for 2...having time to adjust....but I still think almost all coaches would opt to kick in a situation where they were 9 points behind. As Spot said, you don't want to force yourself to have to make a 3rd score until you have to do it. There are probably some stats somewhere showing how many coaches elected to do each when down by 9 points, but I have no idea where you could find them. I would bet, however, that the overwhelming majority did not go for two points when down 9.

FiveThirtyEight says there is a case for going for 2 "late-ish" in the game, but his chart concludes that going for 1 is the better option.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...t should,of these spots in the past two years.

Last edited:
I didn’t see it posted so I apologize if it was but Boogie tweeted he was recovering from covid and not ready yesterday

Andersen is a nice feel good story and he has made some nice plays this year but he routinely gets abused during the game. The talent in our secondary must be terrible if Masterson and Andersen get all the reps. Our linebackers are slow, poor tacklers and out of position. These weaknesses need to be addressed if we plan on being competitive. Its been the same problem year after year.

We've got better talent, they just haven't been available. Anderson has been incredible this year to have been asked to play as much as has he's been asked.

nope

If you're down 15 in the 4th, of course you should go for 2 to cut it to 7. If you get it you have more momentum, if you don't you have more time to adjust to needing 2 more scores.

Any bowl insights? Incredibly CBS has us in the Gator Bowl vs South Carolina.

Back