• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at L'ville -- Saturday December 12 - Noon - ACCN

Need to beat F$U first to get to 5-4 before looking at bowls.

Not sure the team wants to consider a bowl game at 4-5 and on a 3 game losing streak.

Any bowl insights? Incredibly CBS has us in the Gator Bowl vs South Carolina.

Gator actually seems most likely IMO. Hearing Charlotte really wants State which would make for easy travel plus they haven’t been there since 2015. Unless Wake loses FSU, Gator seems pretty likely.

feel like we're gonna opt out.

I feel like we’ve already opted out. But if there’s a Gator Bowl vs an SEC team on the table, we aren’t going to turn it down.

Clawson has repeatedly said that the players want to play in a bowl. If our season ended after Lville, opting out of a bowl makes sense due to the 2.5 week prolonged quarantine, practice etc., but since we are already playing until the 19th it makes sense to just finish the season playing a bowl. If the players decide they would rather just go home, I completely understand but that’s not what Clawson has indicated at all.

Based on Clawsons comments about being proud of the team and the experience the young guys are getting, I think they’d welcome the bowl for the extra practice and experience.

They also haven’t played as many games as the schools opting out. They may feel a bowl makes the sacrifice worth it.

Is it in our best interests to accept a bowl bid? Serious question. I know about the benefits in terms of practice time, gaining experience, etc., but seems like those will be curtailed this year due to Covid protocols. And if we have multiple key guys out sick or quarantining and lay an egg like Saturday, do recruiting efforts take a hit? I would be fine with saying no this year. But I agree it should be the players' decision.

The recruiting benefit would be continuing the bowl streak.

Also starting a new winning streak. Getting to 4 out of 5 wins would be good as well.

I feel like we’ve already opted out. But if there’s a Gator Bowl vs an SEC team on the table, we aren’t going to turn it down.

Yeah, a chance to get smoked by an SEC school on national tv in a meaningless bowl game is too attractive to pass up.

Is it in our best interests to accept a bowl bid? Serious question.

Are you and the other posters against playing a bowl game planning to cut a check to Wake to cover the loss in revenue?

Serious question

Any bowl insights? Incredibly CBS has us in the Gator Bowl vs South Carolina.

This would be a good year for us to play in the Gator Bowl. Back in 2006, they made it clear that they really didn't want to take Wake, even though they were obligated to take the loser of the ACC Championship game. Their "reasoning" was that we were too small and wouldn't bring enough fans. Even though we have proven that wrong over the last 15 years, I still have never seen Wake even projected to the Gator Bowl. But this year, with limited attendance rules, they might.

And we beat South Carolina last time we played them in the Gator Bowl.

This would be a good year for us to play in the Gator Bowl. Back in 2006, they made it clear that they really didn't want to take Wake, even though they were obligated to take the loser of the ACC Championship game. Their "reasoning" was that we were too small and wouldn't bring enough fans. Even though we have proven that wrong over the last 15 years, I still have never seen Wake even projected to the Gator Bowl. But this year, with limited attendance rules, they might.

And we beat South Carolina last time we played them in the Gator Bowl.

Yeah the Gator Bowl would probably love to have us this year. That gives them talking points not to take us over the next couple of years, even if/when we are the most logical choice. We have a lot of guys on our team who have expressed wanting to continue playing and that would include a bowl. Why go through hell for the past 6 months just to call things off 15 days before the end of the year.

Generally always good to get exposure in the state of Florida.

I think it should boil down to what kind of team can we put on the field for a potential bowl game. The team we had to put on the field against Louisville was a shell of what our team would look like if healthy, even with the opt outs. Look at our D-line, Boogie, Kamara, and Tyler Williams were all out, arguably our 3 best d-lineman. At safety, Reed, Rucker and Greer all out, thus the necessity of having to play an awesome over-achieving true freshman walk-on for much of the season. 2 of by far our best receivers, Sage from the start of the year and Greene missing the Louisville game, along with Groulx. Many other instances as well, so if we've going to have to throw out a shell of a team in the bowl game because of further opt outs or guys out because of Covid protocols, then no thanks. I'd dare say I probably know our roster better than most people outside the coaches, trainers and Stan Cotton and we were putting guys out there Saturday I had no idea who they were.

Back