• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at L'ville -- Saturday December 12 - Noon - ACCN

I don’t think it’s speed, at least in the secondary. I don’t think they are where they need to be.

The one constant of Clawson's tenure on defense - after Grobe's recruits left, has been constantly mis-fitting the run. While they do make plenty of stops and get TFL's, when they misfit the run, its monster gain after monster gain. Its like they are missing a player 5 yards down the field, just no one is there. I assume these inexperienced LB's and Safeties get sucked into the middle more often than not.

Are you and the other posters against playing a bowl game planning to cut a check to Wake to cover the loss in revenue?

Serious question

Been cutting checks to the Deacon Club on an annual basis for 25 years now. So take your snark and shove it you know where.

Geez I hope FSU doesn’t run the pistol formation. Between State and UP, that pistol formation basic hand off/stretch play kills us.

Been cutting checks to the Deacon Club on an annual basis for 25 years now. So take your snark and shove it you know where.

I don’t think his comment was snark at all

Saying Wake shouldn’t play in a bowl game simply because they didn’t look good against Louisville is absurd. Not only does it not continue momentum on the recruiting trail with “five straight bowl games” and what brit, but it also helps provide money for the athletic department and conference who are in serious trouble. You donating whatever you donate is not going to come close to the money Wake would get from a bowl game. So unless you decide to write a check for nearly 2 million dollars, it won’t even out.

If kids are tired of playing I get it. But it sounds like we have enough guys who want to go bowling. If we don’t win, at least it’s another opportunity for a lot of young guys to get some much deserved playing time. They’ve stuck it out this long, put a lot of heart and soul into football. Now they have a chance to go out and show all the work they’ve put in by playing on national TV for friends and family to see, hopefully against an SEC or Big Ten opponent.

Saying Wake shouldn’t play in a bowl game simply because they didn’t look good against Louisville is absurd. Not only does it not continue momentum on the recruiting trail with “five straight bowl games” and what brit, but it also helps provide money for the athletic department and conference who are in serious trouble. You donating whatever you donate is not going to come close to the money Wake would get from a bowl game. So unless you decide to write a check for nearly 2 million dollars, it won’t even out.

If kids are tired of playing I get it. But it sounds like we have enough guys who want to go bowling. If we don’t win, at least it’s another opportunity for a lot of young guys to get some much deserved playing time. They’ve stuck it out this long, put a lot of heart and soul into football. Now they have a chance to go out and show all the work they’ve put in by playing on national TV for friends and family to see, hopefully against an SEC or Big Ten opponent.

last I heard, the ACC splits bowl revenue evenly among all teams. Perhaps this has changed with Covid-19, but I doubt it.

$4.5 million (last year's Belk Bowl payout) divided among 15 teams is $300,000. (WF would get a little extra to cover travel and lodging).

last I heard, the ACC splits bowl revenue evenly among all teams. Perhaps this has changed with Covid-19, but I doubt it.

$4.5 million (last year's Belk Bowl payout) divided among 15 teams is $300,000. (WF would get a little extra to cover travel and lodging).

No, that’s how it works. But the point stands. That money is still extremely valuable for the league and our AD. That’s why I think it’s a stupid idea to not go to a bowl simply because we didn’t play well against Louisville and are facing some injuries.

$300,000 helps.

Curry just said on the radio show that we will be playing in a bowl game. Charlotte, Orlando, Jacksonville or Annapolis. So that's settled

And Wake also gets a cut off all other ACC bowl teams.

It was snark because all he ever posts is snark.

These are all good arguments. My question was really whether a bowl game in this environment is worth the risk of getting more guys sick. It will suck if we get trashed on national TV, but maybe we're lucky and are back at close to full strength by then (sans the guys who have opted out).

And Wake also gets a cut off all other ACC bowl teams.

of course - but the incremental gain for making a bowl vs. not making a bowl is 1/15th of the bowl payout, not 100% of the bowl payout as had been represented

Present athletic revenue is a fraction of past revenue. Last real payday was at the end of basketball season. No piece of the Dance. No football income from ticket sales, concessions etc. Television revenue is about it. Ink is probably red in the AD at present. Every little bit of $ helps. It's the reason there is a football/basketball season.

Back