• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chuck Yeager

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Chuck Yeager, the first person to fly faster than the speed of sound, has died. He was 97.

Yet another icon of America has passed away.

Condolences to his family and friends.

People dont realize the risks this man took.

Goddamn great American and true fucking hero.

I didn't realize until reading the NYT article that he:

Was shot down on his 8th mission in the European theater, was rescued by French resistance, and was guided over the Alps into Spain even though he had head and leg injuries, before demanding they put him back in the air. He later became an "Ace in a day" by downing 5 German planes in one mission.

Then set the speed record while at Muroc (to be renamed Edwards) in 1947, not knowing if his plane would disintegrate or not.

Then, as an instructor of astronauts at Edwards AFB, flew 127 bombing missions in Vietnam.

I think it's appropriate to both recognize how much of a badass Chuck was and also how lucky he was to live as long as he did. There are a few others we barely know because they did die during similar endeavors.

I think it's appropriate to both recognize how much of a badass Chuck was and also how lucky he was to live as long as he did. There are a few others we barely know because they did die during similar endeavors.

This is true

It's mind boggling to think that it's been 73 years since he broke the sound barrier.

Back