• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many of the following "guy things" can you do?

I can drive a stick but made a conscious decision not to hunt at an early age when given the opportunity to do so. I’m not opposed to hunting but there are just hundreds of other more important things I’d rather do with my weekend, like fish or play golf.

My neighbor and I had this same conversation. We have sons, and were talking about the things fathers should teach sons to be a functional man in society. Here is our list so far:

1. NATO Phonetic Alphabet

if you don't use the NATO alphabet when dictating long numbers/letters you're an asshole

I can drive a stick but made a conscious decision not to hunt at an early age when given the opportunity to do so. I’m not opposed to hunting but there are just hundreds of other more important things I’d rather do with my weekend, like fish or play golf.

Fishing is just hunting in the water.

Fishing is just hunting in the water.

Usually fewer explosives though, so it’s less manly. Fishermen compensate by buying boats with engines waaaaaaay the fuck bigger than they need.

Usually fewer explosives though, so it’s less manly. Fishermen compensate by buying boats with engines waaaaaaay the fuck bigger than they need.

I have a buddy that fishes competitively. They scout the lakes and find the best spots a couple days prior to the competition and drop a gps pin. The reason for those insane motors is because it’s a free for all when the tournaments open, and the fastest boats get the best spots.

Yeah, that's on a lake. You might also be going 40 miles out into the ocean for a casual day of fishing or for a tournament. Size, speed, and power matter a lot in that case.

Things I want to teach my son or else I’m a big failure of a father:

1) treat everyone you meet with respect, no matter who they are
2) win and lose graciously
3) give your absolute best

Apart from that I think a lot of the thread is kinda gravy. You’re gonna suck at most things you try, but that’s no reason to quit. The world will be so different 10, 20, 30 years from now I probably won’t understand it, and I hope you forgive me for that.

Into the whiskey tonight and sentimental cause my old man finally got to meet his grandson this weekend.
This is what was taught to me.

Be able to financially take care of your self
Take care of your family
Take care of your community

Everything else is noise

Yeah, that's on a lake. You might also be going 40 miles out into the ocean for a casual day of fishing or for a tournament. Size, speed, and power matter a lot in that case.

On the ocean? Sure, get a big motor. On a lake? Fuck off with all that noise and wake, you’re ruining everyone else’s day. Fishing tournaments are dumb.

(for the record, I can't do any of these):

Juggle
Ride a unicycle
Dunk a basketball
Handstand
Standing back-flip (on the ground/not a diving board)
Throw a knife or ax and stick it
Bounce a golf ball off the face of a club for more than 3-4 times
Keep a wooden paddle ball thingy going

I've always been horrible at stuff like this; can barely make a Slinky go down two steps.

I can do the knife/axe throw (knife/hatchet really) and bounce the golf ball. The rest are fails for me. Paddleball is particularly aggravating!

fortunately you can have running sex so i think your man card remains intact

Add to the list of things I can't do: make that shrill whistle-thingy with your thumb and middle finger (you know, the one when you do it and either a cute puppy or a really cute truck magically appear).

Never field dressed an animal, but how hard can it be once you get the skin off? I can break down a chicken pretty easily and how animal bodies are put together.

Back