• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

She was on ESPN so much that when she came on today, my wife said, “There’s that woman from ESPN.” My wife knows nothing about ESPN personalities.

I assume she’ll be doing ND games, maybe Today Show and NBC News stuff too. They’re going to have to figure out how to maximize her exposure with NBC’s smaller sports portfolio.

John Collins: paid

Collins clearly wasn't happy with that deal and was considering betting on himself again to get an unrestricted deal next time. But he did the smart thing and took it in the end.

I can imagine it was a rather interesting dilemma for him and his agent. Not that I don’t believe you, but what specifically makes you think he wasn’t initially happy? I just haven’t seen any thing from his side so I don’t know.

I can imagine it was a rather interesting dilemma for him and his agent. Not that I don’t believe you, but what specifically makes you think he wasn’t initially happy? I just haven’t seen any thing from his side so I don’t know.

He's certainly happy to stay with the Hawks. But everything about the way he went through the process suggests that he was hoping for a max offer. My understanding is that his strong preference was to stay with the Hawks, but he wanted a max offer sheet from someone to force the Hawks to match it.

Every team essentially knew that the Hawks would match any offer, so no team bothered tying up their cap space for a few days trying to sign him. So then Collins had to fall back on the 5/125 that the Hawks were offering. Which is still a completely fair deal for him, but somewhat less than what he has been angling for since last offseason.

Wouldn’t a competitor of the Hawks want them to tie up more money in him, and thus find it worthwhile to put the bigger offer out there knowing that the Hawks would likely match it? I suppose that’s a risk teams don’t want to take.

The only major unrestricted free agent left on the board is Kawhi. There are only a few RFAs left as well. Seems like league really wanted to get free agency done quickly so there was no appetite to wait for a guy who probably wasn’t going anywhere. Collins would have done better in a more traditional free agency timeline in which he wasn’t the best gettable guy on the board all year. He could have gotten a big offer from teams left holding the bag after missing on bigger targets.

The player option is good for him and will force the Hawks to the table relatively soon.

Wouldn’t a competitor of the Hawks want them to tie up more money in him, and thus find it worthwhile to put the bigger offer out there knowing that the Hawks would likely match it? I suppose that’s a risk teams don’t want to take.

If you offer a RFA a contract, you cannot use the cap space that would be taken by that signing until the original team officially matches the offer sheet, which can take a few days. All the quality FAs are more or less already gone, so any team that signed Collins to an offer sheet was risking having their cap space immobilized to make other signings while they waited for the Hawks to match, essentially meaning that the team would end up with no signed FAs that they originally wanted.

Back