• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

Yeah. I don’t mind organic big threes through the draft like the Warriors, Thunder, and Spurs or even through free agents. But massive trades in which a team mortgages their future for a short run annoy me.

This shit is the worst part of the NBA. I'm not interested in the soap opera BS. Whining and quitting your way into a Big 3 makes for a lame sport. Hopefully, the NFL does it's best to make this kind of thing a rare occurrence. We'll see with Watson, I guess.

lol

I think it creates heroes/villains type stories. Something extra to keep me interested beyond just the sheer athleticism and talent on display. I’m going to love rooting against these Nets and Lakers.

Granted, yes, it would be a problem if those are the two teams repeatedly in the finals

wasn't the #leverage what the Sixers were offering?

any solid speculation on what the Sixers offer was?

Morey was playing it pretty tight, but essentially said Simmons was off the table, which left Maxey and Thybulle as the biggest assets he was willing to give up. Was never gonna get it done imho. I think very highly of Maxey but the Nets had way more picks and players to make salary work.

Let's look at the trade totally dispassionately. We'll go point-by-point. I think the first six points are basically indisputable.

1. Brooklyn is a desirable destination.
2. Net ownership is strong, willing to spend and is mostly hands off.
3. Nets have a top level GM
4. We don't know is Nash is a good coach. However, his willingness to add a strong group of assistants shows he understands has to learn. He is respected and beloved by players and agents.
5. The Milwaukee 1st Round Pick in 2022 is of virtually no value unless Giannis goes down for most of the season. If Giannis and one of Jrue or Middleton doesn't get hurt, it's unlikely that pick would be higher than #22 and likely no higher than #25.
6. Oladipo is a free agent after this year. If he doesn't stay and extend, I think we can agree, the trade is a failure. With the extensions to to Bam, Lebron, AD and Giannis, the 21 class is weak (https://hoopshype.com/lists/2021-nba-free-agent-rankings/). CP3 is unlikely to leave Phoenix. Kawhi is unlikely to leave. Oladipo could be the #1 or #2 FA. On top of that, he has been injury prone. Do you want to tie up $30+M on him?

The next few could have some limited discussion.
7. Dante Exum has been a total bust. He was #5 pick in the draft. In six years, he's never averaged double digits or over 3.1 apg. The other guy is also a scrub.
8. Nets pick in 23- The only way this has any value is if two of the three superstars opt out. That's highly unlikely. Otherwise, you are looking at a pick that is #20+. Again, this is of little value. Barring something crazy happening, the best you can hope for here is a rotation player.
9. Nets pick in 25- for this to be of value, you have to assume that all three superstars are gone AND Mark, Nash, et al, have massive amounts of money to buy players and don't use it. This is a long shot.
10. Nets pick in 27, who knows?

If you are basing the trade of a Hall of Famer on the team you work with gets two Top 10 picks in 4-6 years. Then, your trade is bad.

If the Rox had kept Allen and Prince rather than the Bucks pick, this trade would have been much better for them.

I think we have to think the Sixers pulled out or Rox ownership refused to deal with Morey. The Sixers would likely have been willing to trade at least two first round picks. It seemed Morey was open to including Maxey and Thuybelle. They are massively better than the two players the Rox got. Maxey has a huge upside and Thuybelle is already an elite defender.

The Nets will miss Jarrett Allen. I will miss Jarrett Allen. My son is already missing Jarrett Allen, as we used to bump into him at the Target buying $400 lego sets to build in his spare time.

Morey was playing it pretty tight, but essentially said Simmons was off the table, which left Maxey and Thybulle as the biggest assets he was willing to give up. Was never gonna get it done imho. I think very highly of Maxey but the Nets had way more picks and players to make salary work.

I think you're right about Simmons. This means, the package would have to include Harris, with Maxey, Thuybelle and some picks.

Harris is signed for three more years and fits with Wall. When he's been a spot up shooter, he's been about a 40% three point shooter and will get about 7rpg over the past few years. He isn't as good as Oladipo, but the Rox would have had him for a number of productive years.

When you add Maxey and Thuybelle to Harris, it's much better than Oladipo, Exum and the other guy. Even if the Sixers only gave up two picks rather than three, this would have been a much better trade for the Rox than what they got.

I don't think the Sixers were as interested as the press to make them out to be.

The Nets will miss Jarrett Allen. I will miss Jarrett Allen. My son is already missing Jarrett Allen, as we used to bump into him at the Target buying $400 lego sets to build in his spare time.

Why Houston passed him to Cleveland is baffling. The Rox needs bigs. He's from Texas.

Says the man who said Skip to Cinci was a done deal. The only person in the world Skip didn't like.

No one bats 1.000.

I'd say you're losing it, old man, but you never had it to begin with. I got this e-mail from Skip five months before he died. What have you got?

[OGB]:

Thank you for your thoughtful email. I can understand why some of our fans are disgruntled. I don’t think any of us are happy with the season thus far; however, we are working hard each and every day and intend to improve so that we can make all of our supporters proud of their team. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write and that you are continuing to support us at the games. It is so important, especially now. See you tonight vs. Clemson.

Coach Prosser

Hey RJ, do you think the Sixers were as interested in Harden as the Nets were?

Hey RJ, do you think the Sixers were as interested in Harden as the Nets were?

I did at the beginning but not at the end. I think they pulled Simmons off the table. I'm not sure if the new GM in HSN could have gotten away with not getting Simmons.

If you looked at Harris, Maxey, Thuybelle and 2/3 first round picks, would you say that's better than a FA Oladipo, Exum and the other guy with the 1st round picks.

Another question is given the strength of the Bucks and Nets for the next few years, do you think those picks would net the Rox players as good as Maxey and Thuybelle?

So the Cavs gave up the Buck's first, a 2024 second rounder, and Dante Exum and got 22 yo Jarrett Allen and a useful bench wing? Seems good!

Back