• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

I'm sitting here watching yet another game with without star players due to injury or rest while getting alerts that players will be resting today and tomorrow. It got me thinking about parity. If there's too much parity, playoff seeding won't matter because it lessens the advantage of getting home games vs. low seeds. It just comes down to winning four series against whoever. The regular season gradually becomes less relevant.

nobody truly gaf about parity. the real concern is about small market teams being viable.in the nfl markets arent real at a disadvantage due to thier size regardless of management. in the nba only smart management/luck can get a winning team in a small market. parity is an ill conceived euphimism for that problem.

I agree to a point. Nobody really cares about parity. They just want to believe their team has a shot. “Large market” is a vague term. Nobody is talking about the Bulls, Wizards, or Rockets when they say large market teams have an advantage. They may mention the Warriors but they gained an advantage by drafting well. The only team you could say has a large market advantage is the Lakers and that’s more of a tradition nostalgia advantage. The Knicks don’t get that advantage.

I agree to a point. Nobody really cares about parity. They just want to believe their team has a shot. “Large market” is a vague term. Nobody is talking about the Bulls, Wizards, or Rockets when they say large market teams have an advantage. They may mention the Warriors but they gained an advantage by drafting well. The only team you could say has a large market advantage is the Lakers and that’s more of a tradition nostalgia advantage. The Knicks don’t get that advantage.

the knicks are terribly managed to the point where the market advantage is completely nullifed

things like tampa bay signing tom brady and becoming a juggernaut with free agents, or jadaveon clowney sigining with CLE, or aaron jones re-signing with GB just because they're a good team aren't common occurences in the NBA. they're extremely common in the NFL.

mainly because of hard cap vs. soft cap. partly because of the nature of the sports (team size and recoginition). regardless, no NFL teams are stuck in hell for as long as NBA teams usually and when they are noboday cares like they would for an NBA team.

Also 15 man rosters and 80 man rosters are not = or even comparable when it comes to parity in roster and salary construction

lol as a lions fan what do you disagree with? is anyone lamenting the lions lack of success to non parity?

Official 2020-21 NBA Season Thread - Lamarcus Aldridge retires due to heart issues

The Lions are poorly managed. Hell, one of the worst Wake coaches became one of the best Lions coaches.

Last edited:
Has there ever been discussion of the upper seed in the playoffs getting a 5-2 home game split vs. the 4-3 it is now? I'm not entirely sure it would be good thing to do, haven't really thought it through. But I'd be curious how a change like that would affect how teams approach the regular season and mainly resting stars.

That would be unfair. Maybe it would discourage resting but it would punish injuries too much.

lol as a lions fan what do you disagree with? is anyone lamenting the lions lack of success to non parity?

The Lions are poorly managed. Hell, one of the worst Wake coaches became one of the best Lions coaches.

My disagreement is that Lions fans don’t care. Yes it’s a horribly managed franchise but I didn’t realize that was part of the point—in fact I thought the suggestion was that mismanagement was easier to overcome in the NFL regardless of market size.

of course fans of the team care. clearly in the NFL market size doesnt matter as much, but management still matters. its still possible to mismanage a fucking sandwich

Sorry I guess I was just responding to this

no NFL teams are stuck in hell for as long as NBA teams usually and when they are noboday cares like they would for an NBA team.

The Lions had more playoff appearances (3) in the 2010s than the Pistons (2).

The pistons have won a championship in my lifetime (> 30 years)

The lions have never won a championship (> 100 years)

Because the Lions are poorly managed.

I don’t know how you can argue that markets are important to the NFL when the Packers have been a top franchise most of my life and there was no team in LA for 20 years. The NFL even chose to give Cleveland and Houston teams again rather than expand in LA.

I’m not arguing markets are important to the NFL

Thought I was clear what I was arguing about

I think you're arguing that Lions fans care that the Lions suck. Nobody is arguing against that.

Pretty sure FYC is saying the NFL has no league-wide conversation about small market fairness like the NBA does. And that's because the NFL doesn't really care as much about markets.

I guess where I land on this is market size is a red herring, and if you think (like Hornets fans like 2&2 and FYC) that Silver doesn’t have an interest in parity or that rather the NFL has stumbled into it because of a hard cap, I have to disagree on the example given that there are in fact NFL teams who have always been bad, literally always, and there are not NBA teams in that mold. I guess if you need to make a competitiveness argument it’s fun to point out the utter dominance the Pats had over their division for a decade that hasn’t existed in any division in the NBA with any dynasty of recent note.

Idk maybe I just reject any argument that paints the NFL and its utterly garbage product in a better light than the NBA.

Yeah. The Pats dominance in the 00s and 10s stands out because the Dolphins were one of the top franchises of the 80s and the Bills were one of the top franchises of the 90s. The closest comps to the Pats would be the Jordan Bulls and Duncan Spurs.

There aren't teams in the NBA who are always bad because the NBA makes it so difficult for teams to be bad. More than half the teams make the playoffs and the rest get a shot at the #1 pick. Most years the top few picks are foolproof. Even if you fucked up and passed on an all-time great talent, you got Deandre Ayton or Hakeem Olajuwon instead. But the complaint is it's hard to keep those players and may get harder as players care more about winning than $$$.

Back