• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

I'm curious whether San Diego State has ever given any thought to changing their nickname.

In my mind, its hard to justify one's athletic team being named after a civilization famous for sacrificing tens of thousands of human beings every year by ritually cutting out the victim's heart with a knife made from obsidian, and then holding it up to the sky while it was still beating. Cannibalism is not really a good look, either.

This is so metal. I want at least one of my teams to become the Aztecs.

also the pirate analogy is the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever read here and I’ve read rj posts

also the pirate analogy is the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever read here and I’ve read rj posts

Yeah. Murderous white guys aren't offended so victims of genocide shouldn't be offended. We don't talk about this enough as a society. White guys spend centuries wiping Native Americans off of their land and then use their name for cities, rivers, lakes, fucking cars, and sports mascots. That's some shit. Centuries of systematic genocide and then be like "they're so noble and brave, let's name our team after them."

Rule 1 of a business, make a profit. The Indians were a problem with sponsors and enough fans.

As for genocide, Native Americans were primarily wiped out by European diseases. It is estimated that this caused 90 percent of the population to die in the largest demographic demise ever in human history. See William M. Denevan, "The Pristine Myth: The Landscape of the Americas in 1492", posted at Northern Arizona University, published in Sept. 1992, Annals of the Association of American Geographers.

Yeah. Murderous white guys aren't offended so victims of genocide shouldn't be offended. We don't talk about this enough as a society. White guys spend centuries wiping Native Americans off of their land and then use their name for cities, rivers, lakes, fucking cars, and sports mascots. That's some shit. Centuries of systematic genocide and then be like "they're so noble and brave, let's name our team after them."

So you think the native americans who were here when Europeans arrived were just gentle, peace-loving people who didn't displace earlier people using violence? Please show me the evidence for that. The history of humans is that when civilizations clash one wins and one loses. Both sides were murderous. You know that. Or you are a moron. So, liar or moron. Take your pick.

I mean, Indians isn't in and of itself an inherently racist term, but Chief Wahoo was pretty indefensible. That shit was racist as fuck. I guess the Indians name couldn't escape the association with the mascot.

I guess; I get the Redskins, but Indians seems benign to me but I'm not an Native American.
Do the Chiefs, Braves, BlackHawks follow? Likely.
Will they insist the Cowboys must go? Hmmmm

Black hawks are an actual type of hawk found in Central and northern South America: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_black_hawk

2196-common-black-hawk.jpg

So that name could survive with a logo and mascot change.

So you think the native americans who were here when Europeans arrived were just gentle, peace-loving people who didn't displace earlier people using violence? Please show me the evidence for that. The history of humans is that when civilizations clash one wins and one loses. Both sides were murderous. You know that. Or you are a moron. So, liar or moron. Take your pick.

Well, I mean, Native American genocide was pretty much officially a US government policy for around a hundred odd years or so, so I'm not really sure you can bosides this one, bro.

"Hate was just a legend. War was never known." - Neil Young, historian

I mean, Indians isn't in and of itself an inherently racist term, but Chief Wahoo was pretty indefensible. That shit was racist as fuck. I guess the Indians name couldn't escape the association with the mascot.

I'm offended by this stereotype of a fat drunk leprechaun. Change the name, Boston.

1200px-Boston_Celtics.svg.png

Well, I mean, it is a mythological creature and all, so yeah that's exactly the same. Solid logic as always, 2and2.

Well, I mean, it is a mythological creature and all, so yeah that's exactly the same. Solid logic as always, 2and2.

Right, my Celtic heritage is being lampooned by a mythological creature. Change the name. And fuck Lucky Charms while we're at it.

When I was a kid I wanted a Braves hat for Christmas, my fucking mom accidentally bought me a fucking Indians hat. Then, had the damn audacity to spend the next week gas lighting me by telling me I was wrong and that it was a fucking Braves hat.

Pretty sure it took months before it was admitted they fucked up. I never wore that trash hat, 9 year old me knows better than to be a racist Indians fan.

Back