• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

I'm originally from Cleveland.
when I was younger, I defended the name/mascot. Now, not so much.
I would propose the new team name to be:

Cleveland RiverFire
Cleveland ComicSans (a tribute to the Cavs owner who used Comic Sans as the font on the letter when Lebron left the first time)

Whites calling whites murderous colonials is the mostest beta cuck move. But definitely gives you like 5 social awareness points, but not gonna make your wife want to fuck you.

When I was a kid I wanted a Braves hat for Christmas, my fucking mom accidentally bought me a fucking Indians hat. Then, had the damn audacity to spend the next week gas lighting me by telling me I was wrong and that it was a fucking Braves hat.

Pretty sure it took months before it was admitted they fucked up. I never wore that trash hat, 9 year old me knows better than to be a racist Indians fan.

catamount having a hard time figuring out which side he wants to troll here

I was born in Cleveland and still have wahoo logo t shirt. Keeping it - collector's item. But I get why that logo had to be retired.

Cleveland Cleavers

I still remember as a kid walking over to meet the Atlanta Brave himself at Fulton County Stadium. Many of you probably did too. His name was “Chief Knock-a-Homa.”

Nah, I'm more of a mix between a Yankee and Knickerbocker. Not sure if they qualify as murderous, though.

Knickerbockers are clothing.

So I guess Kansas City has the easiest way out of this right, change the logo to a fireman's hat and they'll good right?

So you think the native americans who were here when Europeans arrived were just gentle, peace-loving people who didn't displace earlier people using violence? Please show me the evidence for that. The history of humans is that when civilizations clash one wins and one loses. Both sides were murderous. You know that. Or you are a moron. So, liar or moron. Take your pick.

Good shit.

So I guess Kansas City has the easiest way out of this right, change the logo to a fireman's hat and they'll good right?

And rename the stadium Fireman's Helmet Stadium. Of course, Helmet sounds too German, and Germans were Nazis, so...

Knickerbockers are clothing.

Yeah, knickerbockers are pants... But it's a slang term for a New Yorker who has Dutch ancestry. Eventually, it just became a way to describe anything "of NY".

FWIW, I am not really Dutch. But I am from NY.

https://www.nba.com/knicks/history/whatsaknickerbocker.html

The term "Knickerbockers" traces its origin to the Dutch settlers who came to the New World - and especially to what is now New York - in the 1600s. Specifically, it refers to the style of pants the settlers wore...pants that rolled up just below the knee, which became known as "Knickerbockers", or "knickers".

In 1809, legendary author Washington Irving solidified the knickerbocker name in New York lore when he wrote the satiric A History of New York from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty under the pseudonym Diedrich Knickerbocker. Later known as Knickerbocker's History of New York, Irving's book introduced the word "knickerbocker" to signify a New Yorker who could trace his or her ancestry to the original Dutch settlers.

Nah. Change the arrowhead to a spatula and take out the “I.” KC Masterpiece Stadium for the win.

are Dutch people asking for the name to be removed or something?

At least the NBA team isn’t the New York Knickers.

I'm originally from Cleveland.
when I was younger, I defended the name/mascot. Now, not so much.
I would propose the new team name to be:

Cleveland RiverFire
Cleveland ComicSans (a tribute to the Cavs owner who used Comic Sans as the font on the letter when Lebron left the first time)

No doubt that is the Chamber of Commerce's top choice!

are Dutch people asking for the name to be removed or something?

Not to my knowledge.

Just talkin' team mascots.

It's funny, if somebody proposed calling a new NY franchise the Knickerbockers, people would be like WTF? Not because it is racist or anything... Just because it'd be fucking weird to name a basketball team after the pants that Dutch immigrants wore 400 years ago.

Naming teams is difficult. You can only have so many Eagles or Wildcats, but when you go unique you risk people thinking it is dumb.

Remember the original Toronto Raptors and the dumb cartoon dinosaur? Thanks, Jurassic Park.

Raptors are a great mascot. There should be more dinosaur themed mascots. Probably more mythical creatures like dragons, griffons, etc. Teams keep reusing the same animals. There aren’t many insects out there.

Back