• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

I'll support this move only if they rename themselves the Cleveland Steamers.

Raptors are a great mascot. There should be more dinosaur themed mascots. Probably more mythical creatures like dragons, griffons, etc. Teams keep reusing the same animals. There aren’t many insects out there.

I think we should just go with animal names or names of inanimate objects, or maybe weather events. Thunder, Hurricanes, Sleet, Blizzard or Acid Rain. Actually Acid Rain is kind of cool, the Atlanta Acid Rain, kind of badass. Of course I guess that would be the end of our beloved Deacon mascot, but Wake Forest Tidal Waves might work under those new parameters.

Raptors are a great mascot. There should be more dinosaur themed mascots. Probably more mythical creatures like dragons, griffons, etc. Teams keep reusing the same animals. There aren’t many insects out there.

Any new team that doesn't use "Murder Hornets" is missing a big opportunity.

I had a pretty badass UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs hat when I was in high school.

Any new team that doesn't use "Murder Hornets" is missing a big opportunity.

RIP Bobby Phills.

But seriously, anything related to violence is a major risk.

Seattle has the best slate of mascots. All relate to the regional geography, weather, and history. Seahawks, Mariners, Sonics (RIP), Sounders, Storm, Reign. And they topped it off with an awesome mythical creature with the Kraken.

Tampa is solid with three regional weather related mascots - Rays, Lightning, Storm. The Rays can float back and forth between mantas and sunlight at will. Bucs are tied in with the coastal mythology of the region as well.

RIP Bobby Phills.

But seriously, anything related to violence is a major risk.

Seattle has the best slate of mascots. All relate to the regional geography, weather, and history. Seahawks, Mariners, Sonics (RIP), Sounders, Storm, Reign. And they topped it off with an awesome mythical creature with the Kraken.

Tampa is solid with three regional weather related mascots - Rays, Lightning, Storm. The Rays can float back and forth between mantas and sunlight at will. Bucs are tied in with the coastal mythology of the region as well.

Bobby Phills wasn't involved in a murder, FTR. Wesley was charged with a couple of misdemeanors.

Ph, you mentioned insect names, I've got a really good one. "Lice," trust me as the husband of an elementary school teacher, nothing instills fear and panic as quick as those four letters. I want royalties on the LA Lice sports franchise, it's coming.

There's been a low-level grumbling about the Chicago Blackhawks name locally, but I doubt it get changed any time soon. They announced a bunch of new community outreach and educational programs this offseason and formally banned fans from wearing headdresses as well. Still, the statue outside the United Center got defaced on Indigenous Peoples Day, so there are definitely still people upset about it.

There's been a low-level grumbling about the Chicago Blackhawks name locally, but I doubt it get changed any time soon. They announced a bunch of new community outreach and educational programs this offseason and formally banned fans from wearing headdresses as well. Still, the statue outside the United Center got defaced on Indigenous Peoples Day, so there are definitely still people upset about it.

Makes you wonder what kind of characters Wahoo McDaniel, Jay and Mark Youngblood, Jay and Jules Strongbow, and Tatanka would have had to have been if they were wrestling today?

I think we should just go with animal names or names of inanimate objects, or maybe weather events. Thunder, Hurricanes, Sleet, Blizzard or Acid Rain. Actually Acid Rain is kind of cool, the Atlanta Acid Rain, kind of badass. Of course I guess that would be the end of our beloved Deacon mascot, but Wake Forest Tidal Waves might work under those new parameters.

“New York Nor’easters” would be a pretty good team name...better than the New York Knickerbockers anyway...Boston Blizzards might be better than the Celtics, especially since they don’t even pronounce it correctly.

Indigos are listed as a threatened species so I would totally support this if the franchise donated 1% of their profits to indigo snake conservation.

That's surprising, what's their natural predator, they eat freaking rattle snakes! Must be us nasty humans, ain't you ever heard, don't kill a black snake? Except in Australia where black snakes are actually poisonous.

No good. Violence.

Ok, nothing to do with violence now. So are weather events out, I mean there are not many things more violent than Hurricanes and Tornados or are we just talking about violence committed by something alive, human or animal? Got to know what parameters we're working with?

Last edited:
That's surprising, what's their natural predator, they eat freaking rattle snakes! Must be us nasty humans, ain't you ever heard, don't kill a black snake? Except in Australia where black snakes are actually poisonous.

Humans kill snakes because they are snakes. There is a long history of indiscriminate widespread snake persecution in the US. It’s partly because cotton mouths are so variable in color and appearance but mostly because people are scared of snakes. But, The real problem for Indigos was losing >95% of long leaf pine habitat over the last 250 years which basically upended a whole suite of species that were dependent on long leaf ecosystems, e.g., red cockaded woodpeckers, gopher tortoise, gopher frog, indigos.

Yeah. Murderous white guys aren't offended so victims of genocide shouldn't be offended. We don't talk about this enough as a society. White guys spend centuries wiping Native Americans off of their land and then use their name for cities, rivers, lakes, fucking cars, and sports mascots. That's some shit. Centuries of systematic genocide and then be like "they're so noble and brave, let's name our team after them."

How about Homicidal Honkies as a team nickname, Ph? It's got some good alliterative qualities.

And you're absolutely right, we really don't talk about race nearly enough as a society. 23 hours a day is nowhere near sufficient.

Back