• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

I had a pretty badass UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs hat when I was in high school.

Was it this hat, e-bro?

thumb.aspx

This was my go to hat in middle school:

e4c57d2f-8961-4c8e-9bff-77a569d2a8b7.56d302eb1f586adeca390ec235a17638.jpeg

How about Homicidal Honkies as a team nickname, Ph? It's got some good alliterative qualities.

And you're absolutely right, we really don't talk about race nearly enough as a society. 23 hours a day is nowhere near sufficient.

Again, we already have Vikings, Pirates, Raiders, Bucs, etc. Do you disagree that they’re murderous white guys? I’m trying to figure out what offends you here. You joined a conversation about race and you were pretty polite about it. But that post set you off.

Raptors are a great mascot. There should be more dinosaur themed mascots. Probably more mythical creatures like dragons, griffons, etc. Teams keep reusing the same animals. There aren’t many insects out there.

"Raptors" improved over time... Once they dumped the "Barney" mascot.

I was a HUGE Toronto Blue Jays fan back then, so 15 year old DeacsATS was all set to become a Raptors fan in 1994... Then they brought out the Barney logo and I decided I'd pass on that.

Though there were a LOT of terrible 90s NBA logos.

In all seriousness, the only thing that I associate Cleveland with (in a potentially positive way) is Rock & Roll.

From what I've read, Cleveland Spiders is probably the best option if they want to stick with history.

I also don't hate the Forest City, but it doesn't roll off the tongue.

In all seriousness, the only thing that I associate Cleveland with (in a potentially positive way) is Rock & Roll.

From what I've read, Cleveland Spiders is probably the best option if they want to stick with history.

I also don't hate the Forest City, but it doesn't roll off the tongue.

I think they might want to distance themselves from the 20-134 season, which is the last thing that happened to the Cleveland Spiders.

I could get used to Forest City. They were briefly named the Cleveland Naps, in the early part of the 20th century, after Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie-this was concurrent with them being named the Molly Maguires.

I think we need more representation of non-dinosaur prehistoric beasts. Cleveland could be the Dunks, short for Dunkleosteus.. One of the largest bite forces for any animal in history, and it's regionally relevant because numerous fossils were found in Northeast Ohio.

Humans kill snakes because they are snakes. There is a long history of indiscriminate widespread snake persecution in the US. It’s partly because cotton mouths are so variable in color and appearance but mostly because people are scared of snakes. But, The real problem for Indigos was losing >95% of long leaf pine habitat over the last 250 years which basically upended a whole suite of species that were dependent on long leaf ecosystems, e.g., red cockaded woodpeckers, gopher tortoise, gopher frog, indigos.

Beautifully written, I'm emotional right now.

Since it won't let edit my above post, I have to get off my chest that I once blew the head off a black snake with my pump 12 gauge and I'm having some deep guilt over it right now.

I think they might want to distance themselves from the 20-134 season, which is the last thing that happened to the Cleveland Spiders.

I could get used to Forest City. They were briefly named the Cleveland Naps, in the early part of the 20th century, after Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie-this was concurrent with them being named the Molly Maguires.

Spiders is a terrible name. As some kind of weird novelty name in a mediocre college conference (Richmond Spiders), it's passable, but it's not a big league name.

You have to be careful about naming teams after people. I'm sure that Nap Lajoie, having lived in the late 1800s and early 1900s, probably uttered a racial slur at some point in his life. It seems that it will inevitably happen to the Browns. I've heard Larry Doby mentioned, but that seems like it's trying too hard.

It's Steamers or bust.

Again, we already have Vikings, Pirates, Raiders, Bucs, etc. Do you disagree that they’re murderous white guys? I’m trying to figure out what offends you here. You joined a conversation about race and you were pretty polite about it. But that post set you off.

Pirates are not by definition white. Especially, modern pirates.

Since it won't let edit my above post, I have to get off my chest that I once blew the head off a black snake with my pump 12 gauge and I'm having some deep guilt over it right now.

I'd like to help you feel better here. I guess I'd say, it's extremely unlikely what you killed was an indigo, and if it was anywhere outside of south costal Georgia or peninsular Florida it almost certainly was not an indigo. Black racers and black rate snakes are cool snakes too though.

I'd like to help you feel better here. I guess I'd say, it's extremely unlikely what you killed was an indigo, and if it was anywhere outside of south costal Georgia or peninsular Florida it almost certainly was not an indigo. Black racers and black rate snakes are cool snakes too though.

Thanks man, that helps.

Pirates are not by definition white. Especially, modern pirates.

True. They don’t have funny hats and a parrot either. But they’re typically portrayed as white and dressed as such.

Is the lack of snake mascots an Adam and Eve thing?

True. They don’t have funny hats and a parrot either. But they’re typically portrayed as white and dressed as such.

Is the lack of snake mascots an Adam and Eve thing?

Yeah and why is it they portray all Pirates of having lost a hand and a leg too. None of those Somali pirates that took Captain Phillips had hooks for hands and peg legs.

Not sure on the snakes, it does seem odd you don't see more snake mascots. I've always thought the Florida A&M Rattlers was cool as heel, although as I showed earlier the Indigo is the Rattler's Daddy.

Did you see the Rattler statue they just installed?

Did you see the Rattler statue they just installed?

That is cool as hell, seriously.

You'd think more Florida schools would have snake mascots, the state is crawling with them. I've been watching that show "Swamp People Serpent Invasion" lately. Those guys that were hunting Gators in the Bayou are now hunting Pythons in the EverGlades, riveting!

Last edited:
did they use the same architects for their stadium that Wake did?

Back