• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

I am believer in specific, authentic, unique nicknames. A nickname should be tailored to the region/group it represents, have a historic/geographic basis and if possible, be unique. The only exception to the tailored-to-the-region rule is if the name itself is independently tremendous/unique enough to stand on its own.

Examples of nicknames that meet criteria:
Demon Deacons, Tar Heels, Charlotte Hornets (historical), Montgomery Biscuits, Hickory Crawdads, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, Texas Longhorns (for all of their many and on-going faults, that name is perfect for the University of Texas), Portland Traiblazers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Boston Celtics, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Oilers, etc.

Examples of nicknames that fail criteria:
Carolina Panthers, the 10,000 names Wildcats/Tigers/Lions,

Examples of Stand-alone nicknames that are cool:
Seattle Kraken, UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, New York Knickerbockers,

Examples of names that do not fit their region (the greatest sin of all; yes, I'm familiar with their historical misfit)
LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, Tennessee Titans,

On this basis, I rate the Cleveland Guardians a B-. It is specific to the region, it is unique but the name itself is kinda meh.

So maybe we should go with Washington Liars? or Thieves? or Bull Shitters? or Corruption? or Lobbyists? or Junketeers? or Sinecures? or Frauds? or Phoneys? or Double-Talk? or ...

So maybe we should go with Washington Liars? or Thieves? or Bull Shitters? or Corruption? or Lobbyists? or Junketeers? or Sinecures? or Frauds? or Phoneys? or Double-Talk? or ...

How about the Budapest Dotards?

I am believer in specific, authentic, unique nicknames. A nickname should be tailored to the region/group it represents, have a historic/geographic basis and if possible, be unique. The only exception to the tailored-to-the-region rule is if the name itself is independently tremendous/unique enough to stand on its own.

Examples of nicknames that meet criteria:
Demon Deacons, Tar Heels, Charlotte Hornets (historical), Montgomery Biscuits, Hickory Crawdads, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, Texas Longhorns (for all of their many and on-going faults, that name is perfect for the University of Texas), Portland Traiblazers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Boston Celtics, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Oilers, etc.

Examples of nicknames that fail criteria:
Carolina Panthers, the 10,000 names Wildcats/Tigers/Lions,

Examples of Stand-alone nicknames that are cool:
Seattle Kraken, UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, New York Knickerbockers,

Examples of names that do not fit their region (the greatest sin of all; yes, I'm familiar with their historical misfit)
LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, Tennessee Titans,

On this basis, I rate the Cleveland Guardians a B-. It is specific to the region, it is unique but the name itself is kinda meh.

Great post, though I take slight exception to the Knicks. They're quite historically tailored to NY history being a reference to Dutch rule of NYC until the mid 17th century. Even better, their colors are orange and blue, a nod to the Dutch. I'm not a Knicks fan, but it's probably the best mascot for any American pro sports team. One of my favorite books in recent years was the history of the Dutch rule of NYC by Shorto titled "Island at the Center of the World" - highly recommend. I also believe when teams relocate that they should change mascots if the prior mascot was a historical reference to the prior city, the Jazz being the most glaring violator. Although I just googled, and there apparently are a few jazz bars in SLC.

So Cleveland changed its mascot from Indians to the White Men Who Displaced Them.

It’s a fine name. Let’s remember that MBL has two teams named after colored socks and one simply name the Athletics. NBA has a team named after Lakes, and one named after a type of pants (though I appreciate the history lessons on this thread). Ffs the NFL has a team in Buffalo NY named the Bills after an actor, Bill Cody, who had no connection to the city whatsoever except that his stage name was Buffalo Bill. Who really gives a shit what the name is as long as the racist mascot is gone.

Many of us attended a school where the mascot is an angry religious leader.

I'd say our mascot is more than angry. By adding "Demon," we flipped its context completely. Somehow Baptists don't care. Seems demon, devil and wizard mascots do not cause concern for praising or associating with satan/occult.

Back