• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians are dropping their team name.

The world didn't end in Washington, so it makes sense for other franchises to follow their lead. It happened and people adjusted. I haven't even heard a broadcaster slip up all year.

I'm curious whether San Diego State has ever given any thought to changing their nickname.

In my mind, its hard to justify one's athletic team being named after a civilization famous for sacrificing tens of thousands of human beings every year by ritually cutting out the victim's heart with a knife made from obsidian, and then holding it up to the sky while it was still beating. Cannibalism is not really a good look, either.

I'm curious whether San Diego State has ever given any thought to changing their nickname.

In my mind, its hard to justify one's athletic team being named after a civilization famous for sacrificing tens of thousands of human beings every year by ritually cutting out the victim's heart with a knife made from obsidian, and then holding it up to the sky while it was still beating. Cannibalism is not really a good look, either.

Well, what about Vikings, Raiders and Pirates, those groups didn't mind killing people too?

I guess; I get the Redskins, but Indians seems benign to me but I'm not an Native American.
Do the Chiefs, Braves, BlackHawks follow? Likely.
Will they insist the Cowboys must go? Hmmmm

I guess; I get the Redskins, but Indians seems benign to me but I'm not an Native American.
Do the Chiefs, Braves, BlackHawks follow? Likely.
Will they insist the Cowboys must go? Hmmmm

What about Seminoles?

Cleveland Indian owner Paul Dolan said the name change will come AFTER the 2021 baseball season.

So within the next 12-15 months most likely.

It's fucking stupid.

It's also what happens when you bow to the mob. It was never about being offended. It's about a couple of offended people dictating to the several unoffended people what's copacetic and how a sporting team name is somehow cultural appropriation. This is why you don't hear complaints about Vikings, Raiders, Bucs, etc.

"Cowboys" and "Pirates" are laughably not the same thing as "Indians", as those are occupations, not civilizations. Seminoles/Illini/Aztecs at least are named after what the civilizations were called, rather than what some murderous colonial who couldn't tell nonwhite people apart thought they should be called. I've heard that in the case of Seminoles, there is some political pressure from the state of Florida on the tribe to keep the name, forget where I saw that.

FSU has a deal with Seminole nation.

What about Seminoles?
When the NCAA banned the Seminoles name in 2005, the Seminole Tribe's tribal council said, "Here's another example of non-Indians telling Indians what's good for them."
The NCAA quickly reversed the ban.

"Cowboys" and "Pirates" are laughably not the same thing as "Indians", as those are occupations, not civilizations. Seminoles/Illini/Aztecs at least are named after what the civilizations were called, rather than what some murderous colonial who couldn't tell nonwhite people apart thought they should be called. I've heard that in the case of Seminoles, there is some political pressure from the state of Florida on the tribe to keep the name, forget where I saw that.
Whites calling whites murderous colonials is the mostest beta cuck move. But definitely gives you like 5 social awareness points, but not gonna make your wife want to fuck you.

It's fucking stupid.

It's also what happens when you bow to the mob. It was never about being offended. It's about a couple of offended people dictating to the several unoffended people what's copacetic and how a sporting team name is somehow cultural appropriation. This is why you don't hear complaints about Vikings, Raiders, Bucs, etc.

Agreed.

Whites calling whites murderous colonials is the mostest beta cuck move. But definitely gives you like 5 social awareness points, but not gonna make your wife want to fuck you.

Worked on your mom.

Cleveland was informally known as the Molly Maguires around 1910. They should bring that one back.

Back