• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure he's saying that he'd be sickened if he thought that Hollywood was writing our mythology.

I hope you're not being snarky, i'm honestly trying to start a conversation about a topic that I think is very interesting. I'm not just trying to force my viewpoint on other people, I have questions about society and I was hoping other people could weigh in on it.

I hope you're not being snarky, i'm honestly trying to start a conversation about a topic that I think is very interesting. I'm not just trying to force my viewpoint on other people, I have questions about society and I was hoping other people could weigh in on it.

bored's post is a callback to a Ph post

mdmh, what do you think the method should be?

I'm not saying this all specifically about Shia... this is applicable to pretty much everything. Thanksgiving isn't the hunky-dory pilgrim/indian event we all learned about in school? Good to know! Let's raise up the indigenous voices and stories and stop making culture-appropriating costumes out of paper bags. We don't have to kill Thanksgiving as a holiday, though. Our founding fathers were largely racist assholes? Are we really surprised, given the times? Really? Ok, either way... we can still appreciate where we are today, and make more effort to raise the voices and stories of everything else that was going on at that time AND ALSO recognize how those narratives shaped where we are today so we can start making the necessary societal/systemic changes.

sounds like Sylvia Wynter's "1492: A New World View," which opens with a discussion about dissidents (Indigenous epistemology) and celebrants (Western European and Euroamerican epistemology) and tries to chart a "human view" between/among them.

Ella & Louis Christmas album stays undefeated

sounds like Sylvia Wynter's "1492: A New World View," which opens with a discussion about dissidents (Indigenous epistemology) and celebrants (Western European and Euroamerican epistemology) and tries to chart a "human view" between/among them.

Haven't read it.

I'm just tired of seeing this hugely distanced narrative, where there is no middle ground. We can be 'woke' without being guilty for what we didn't know... as long as we do better moving forward. We can also recognize our past, calling out what is no longer acceptable, in a way that doesn't make people feel guilty for being related to someone. It makes a difference in how we speak to that and how we sell the new path forward. Historically, we've sucked at all of that. Our nation is collectively terrible at change management.

Idk, bro. If I was convicted of physically abusing my wife, I’d say it would be pretty unlikely I’d ever find another teaching job.

I’ve been stuck in standstill traffic for 20 minutes for what I assume is a terrible wreck. I’m also on my way home from basketball practice and most of my players drive this way home so now I’m kinda terrified that it’s one of my kids up ahead.

PETA names Asheville #1 vegan-friendly small town in America. Congrats to us.

Chat Thread 2020: What's in a name?

Idk, bro. If I was convicted of physically abusing my wife, I’d say it would be pretty unlikely I’d ever find another teaching job.

Thats a good point that introduces a caveat to the discussion. Our society attempts to gatekeep professions which involve vulnerable populations, but that’s a safeguard for the vulnerable, not a punishment for the criminal.

So does society need to gatekeep the sports and entertainment professions? If so, who is being protected, and from what? If Transformers 9 recasts “Sam Witwicky”, does that protect anyone?

I generally have a problem with our country’s ability to recognize that we can do things better without absolutely shitting all over the past.

It was a different world. We know more now. We have evolved. And despite all that evolution we are going to continue to evolve and in 200 years society will have plenty to criticize us for.

I also have a problem with the fact that there is nothing we can do to change the past so what’s the point?

I generally have a problem with our country’s ability to recognize that we can do things better without absolutely shitting all over the past.

It was a different world. We know more now. We have evolved. And despite all that evolution we are going to continue to evolve and in 200 years society will have plenty to criticize us for.

I also have a problem with the fact that there is nothing we can do to change the past so what’s the point?

Adding context to the long-unchallenged veneration of founding fathers and Great Men of History does not exactly equal “shitting all over the past”. I think giving that context about past figures can really help people gain a nuanced view of both historical and contemporary issues.

My favorite old Southern name in my family was “Temperance”. We always threatened my mom that we’d name a daughter that and call her “Tempy”

Adding context to the long-unchallenged veneration of founding fathers and Great Men of History does not exactly equal “shitting all over the past”. I think giving that context about past figures can really help people gain a nuanced view of both historical and contemporary issues.

This. The past already happened but we are continuously learning more about it. So it’s not accurate to say we can’t “change the past.”

“Giving context” aren’t the types of things I’m talking about.

It’s bullshit like this:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-p...coln-was-once-a-hero-In-some-S-F-15798744.php

It totally detracts from the legitimate “giving context” that does have a valuable role.

“Giving context” aren’t the types of things I’m talking about.

It’s bullshit like this:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-p...coln-was-once-a-hero-In-some-S-F-15798744.php

It totally detracts from the legitimate “giving context” that does have a valuable role.

When you use an extreme edge case and claim it delegitimizes a movement, it just sounds like you are looking for a reason to delegitimization that movement.

There will and should always be edge cases like this. They don’t generally gain traction more broadly. But they still serve a role.

My favorite old Southern name in my family was “Temperance”. We always threatened my mom that we’d name a daughter that and call her “Tempy”

"Temperance to the main stage! Temperance to the main stage!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back