• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I meant to comment on this - I've dabbled with the idea of getting my doctorate in education (but I really don't want to have to call parents all day like principals have to do) but if I do you better farking believe that I will change my username to Dr. Brasky.

you really need to just go ahead and change it. we don't care if it's real.

I'm over on the sports board defending our defensive coordinator. Brings me back to the glory days of defending bzzzz.

Nobody in history should be held up as a some sort of perfect deity. As historians and teachers its our job to present all the evidence and let our children draw their own conclusions. Now Lincoln is a G and was our best president alongside FDR, but if my students decide to hold his anti-abolition statements and actions against him then that is totally reasonable.

Sure, but what's the point of discussing every historical figure's foibles ? The whole reason you're discussing the figure in the first place is due to some historical contribution, good or even bad. So focus on that contribution and move on, unless those foibles somehow inform that contribution in a manner that is pertinent. Also, those personal pitfalls or political views that we find distasteful today, were probably at least socially and politically acceptable contemporaneously, if not mainstream. So if you want to denigrate some historical figure, make sure you're doing it in the proper context, rather than just pointing out that Jackson was awful to Indians and is therefore an awful human being.

EpckgJnW8AAjaaG

Chat Thread 2020: What's in a name?

Sure, but what's the point of discussing every historical figure's foibles ? The whole reason you're discussing the figure in the first place is due to some historical contribution, good or even bad. So focus on that contribution and move on, unless those foibles somehow inform that contribution in a manner that is pertinent. Also, those personal pitfalls or political views that we find distasteful today, were probably at least socially and politically acceptable contemporaneously, if not mainstream. So if you want to denigrate some historical figure, make sure you're doing it in the proper context, rather than just pointing out that Jackson was awful to Indians and is therefore an awful human being.

But Jackson was an awful human being. And he personally made millions of dollars off land he bought on the cheap, land that he had personally had taken from the natives he unnecessarily slaughtered. He also was a terrible administrative president who rewarded his unqualified donors with patronage and began the death spiral of partisanship that still plagues our nation today. His war on the Bank and other financial manipulations severely harmed the economy.

As to Lincoln his pussyfooting over the slavery issue did have a significant historical impact. So it’s quite relevant to discuss his initial reservations to ending slavery.

Last edited:
I don't think Brasky is asking his students to make value judgments on these figures, just presenting context and facts.

It may make some of you privileged white folk uncomfortable, but the true history of the United States (and the world) is a study of the accumulation and protection of wealth. The first thing I always tell my kids to do is to follow the money, because it explains basically every conflict of history.

But Jackson was an awful human being. And he personally made millions of dollars off land he bought on the cheap, that he had personally had taken from the natives he unnecessarily slaughtered. He also was a terrible administrative president who rewarded his unqualified donors with patronage and began the death spiral of partisanship that still plagues our nation today. His war on the Bank and other financial manipulative severely harmed the economy.

As to Lincoln his pussyfooting over the slavery issue did have a significant historical impact. So it’s quite relevant to discuss his initial reservations to ending slavery.

And was America outraged by Jackson's actions at the time ? Isn't the bigger issues that Americans saw the Indians as subhuman and has continued to subjugate them actively and passively ? Are you doing a whole unit on 1830's financial manipulation in 10th grade US History ?

Of course you would discuss Lincoln's views and evolution on slavery in a historical context. That as one of the greatest debates in American history. So do you start the discussion with something like "Lincoln was a shitty human being because he didn't abolish slavery on day one of his presidency and he is therefore to be eternally reviled !" ?? !

Do the employees at Walgreens actually look at the calendars that they print out? Because if so, they’re finna get a kick out of the one I just made for the wife for Christmas.

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty fucking worried about runaway inflation.

You guys know that I'm involved in construction, and my lumber guy just told me that I need to get lumber this month because their reorder is coming up and lumber prices are set to skyrocket (double or triple). Lumber is already about 3-5x what it cost 2 years ago.

This is all anecdote, but I'm hearing reports of some fucking insane localized inflation in some of the cities.

Anyone else got a recent experience like this?

And was America outraged by Jackson's actions at the time ? Isn't the bigger issues that Americans saw the Indians as subhuman and has continued to subjugate them actively and passively ? Are you doing a whole unit on 1830's financial manipulation in 10th grade US History ?

Of course you would discuss Lincoln's views and evolution on slavery in a historical context. That as one of the greatest debates in American history. So do you start the discussion with something like "Lincoln was a shitty human being because he didn't abolish slavery on day one of his presidency and he is therefore to be eternally reviled !" ?? !

Yes a decent segment of American society was outraged by Jackson's actions, hell the Supreme Court told him what he was doing was illegal. And it was personal to him, he hated the natives and was an extremely bigoted and petty individual. You can't just say "Americans" and leave it that. Even in 1830n we were an incredibly diverse nation of ideas and moral codes.

But no I do not implicitly teach that anyone about was a shitty person. When presented with the evidence my students are usually able to formulate that conclusion on their own. However I do occasionally editorialize about early American history, because you can never discount just how barbaric and oppressive African slavery was. You can't just blow the ideals of liberty and equality out of your asshole and pretend that American history isn't ripe with hypocrisy.

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty fucking worried about runaway inflation.

You guys know that I'm involved in construction, and my lumber guy just told me that I need to get lumber this month because their reorder is coming up and lumber prices are set to skyrocket (double or triple). Lumber is already about 3-5x what it cost 2 years ago.

This is all anecdote, but I'm hearing reports of some fucking insane localized inflation in some of the cities.

Anyone else got a recent experience like this?

Lumber Prices Continue Freefall

SYP_Oct_2020.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back