• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes a decent segment of American society was outraged by Jackson's actions, hell the Supreme Court told him what he was doing was illegal. And it was personal to him, he hated the natives and was an extremely bigoted and petty individual. You can't just say "Americans" and leave it that. Even in 1830n we were an incredibly diverse nation of ideas and moral codes.

But no I do not implicitly teach that anyone about was a shitty person. When presented with the evidence my students are usually able to formulate that conclusion on their own. However I do occasionally editorialize about early American history, because you can never discount just how barbaric and oppressive African slavery was. You can't just blow the ideals of liberty and equality out of your asshole and pretend that American history isn't ripe with hypocrisy.

So you present them with evidence that someone is a shitty person and they conclude such. Nice.

But Jackson was an awful human being. And he personally made millions of dollars off land he bought on the cheap, land that he had personally had taken from the natives he unnecessarily slaughtered. He also was a terrible administrative president who rewarded his unqualified donors with patronage and began the death spiral of partisanship that still plagues our nation today. His war on the Bank and other financial manipulations severely harmed the economy.

As to Lincoln his pussyfooting over the slavery issue did have a significant historical impact. So it’s quite relevant to discuss his initial reservations to ending slavery.

Wasn't Jackson a complete ass to Daniel Boone too?

biff seems like one of the PTA parents who stands up at a meeting and complains about the black history month curriculum

Lumber Prices Continue Freefall

SYP_Oct_2020.jpg

Joe Clarknis the best lumber analyst in the 980 area code (Charlotte).

So you present them with evidence that someone is a shitty person and they conclude such. Nice.

I just present them with the evidence. You know, of what happened. Using primary documents. Because shit is, and was, pretty fucked up and it is important for students to understand that.

I tell you people I made a lewd calendar for my wife and y’all just wanna bicker about Andrew Jackson and lumber prices? What has happened to the chat thread?

But for real though, fuck Andrew Jackson.

Or was that Davey Crockett?

It was Crockett. He served under Jackson during the Creek Wars and was reportedly horrified by the massacres that Jackson ordered. When Jackson rose to power politically, Crockett was a Tennessee House Rep. who opposed Indian removal and resigned instead of going along with Jackson and the rest of his party. Or at least that's what the historical narrative is. He also was just an ineffective legislator who thought it was boring.

Last edited:

Thank you. I was surprised by ITC's chart.

This volatility is fucking brutal.

I tell you people I made a lewd calendar for my wife and y’all just wanna bicker about Andrew Jackson and lumber prices? What has happened to the chat thread?

But for real though, fuck Andrew Jackson.

Wait. What? the full 12 months? Did you hire a photographer or just stroke to half mast and click some phone pics?

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty fucking worried about runaway inflation.

You guys know that I'm involved in construction, and my lumber guy just told me that I need to get lumber this month because their reorder is coming up and lumber prices are set to skyrocket (double or triple). Lumber is already about 3-5x what it cost 2 years ago.

This is all anecdote, but I'm hearing reports of some fucking insane localized inflation in some of the cities.

Anyone else got a recent experience like this?

God damn, for just napkin math and gut feel, I nailed those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back