• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Athlete Bill of Rights proposed in Congress

old white men bitching about government intervention always makes me laugh since usually the government is intervening to protect other people from old white men.

"center"deac is triggered by old white guys (ncaa) being questioned about how they make their money (on the backs of college kids - often of color). Good people on bosides though...

What a waste of time and effort in a time when the world is facing far bigger issues. What percentage of college athletes even play sports that generate profitable revenues for their schools? The result of this type of thing could be fewer kids getting a chance to ever play college athletics.

Between this and Cleveland Indians news, the olds are having quite a week. Thoughts and prayers.

I like the concept but revenue sharing equally is fucking stupid. Pay the kids their market value.

I like the concept but revenue sharing equally is fucking stupid. Pay the kids their market value.

So Nick Andersen, hypothetically, would be the highest paid guy at Wake? He got Wake more national pub than any other player.

The sports that currently generate enough money to qualify for this revenue sharing, according to Booker's office, are football (both FBS and FCS levels), men's and women's basketball, and baseball.

I'd like to see a full accounting of this - but if true, we're going to pay:

85 male football players
13 male basketball players
11.7 male baseball players (of course these are almost all partial scholarships so effectively ~25-30 male student-athletes)

and 15 women's basketball players

good luck with that

85 male football players
11.7 male baseball players (of course these are almost all partial scholarships so effectively ~25-30 male student-athletes)

good luck with that

These numbers are way off base because they don't count walk-ons. You most likely are going to have to count walk-ons if you include the programs that don't provide athletic scholarships like the Ivy League and the Pioneer League.

Yeah. I’d like to see the numbers from the NCAA or Congress. I suspect big time programs have been pleading poverty. That 50% wouldn’t come after paying coaches, just scholarships. I don’t know if the numbers would be there to keep coaches salaries what they are after the 50%.

This was probably obvious to everyone else, but I highlighted Booker and Blumenthal’s connections to college sports to show this bill was coming from people intimately familiar with college sports. It was particularly interesting that Blumenthal led the Big East fight.

Y'all need to make peace with the fact that college sports are going to be gone in 10-20 years. Which is okay. Our universities and colleges need a massive overhaul, and uncoupling them from athletics isn't a bad start. Higher education shouldn't be about real estate accumulation and athletics. It should be about improving our next generation of adults.

85 male football players

good luck with that

Exactly. So we (and by that I mean colleges generally and not per se Wake) end up doing away with how many other programs as a result. Hey, we've got a system that gives kids a free education. And handful of them actually generate the revenues needed to support the infrastructure that lets dozens of other kids play college sports. I won't pretend that isn't true. But if we're being really honest at schools like Wake there are literally no athletes at present who generate profitable revenues for those schools absent TV contracts that are based on the draw of teams at other schools - e.g. Clemson, Notre Dame and Florida State. So Wake's real value is to provide games on the schedule that set up Clemson to eventually compete in games that really matter. 9-1 Clemson vs. 10-0 Notre Dame exists only bc each team plays BC, Wake, etc. and avoid upsets along the way.

So Wake is going to pay players in some sports, run up costs that could threaten other sports in order to assure, at its most base level, guys like Trevor Lawrence and Dylon Moses are not exploited by a system that gives them a path to make millions of dollars bc there is no path for great HS football players to turn pro out of HS.

We have minor league soccer, hockey, baseball and even basketball. So kids have choices. But college football is exploiting guys like Dalvin Cook and Kirk Cousins so let's pay them as well as all the other kids who will never make it to the NFL (or merely get a cup of coffee there) the detriment of programs like Georgia gymnastics, MN wrestling and Wake women's soccer.

What problem are we really trying to solve? And how is this equitable at the end of the day to all college athletes?

Y'all need to make peace with the fact that college sports are going to be gone in 10-20 years. Which is okay. Our universities and colleges need a massive overhaul, and uncoupling them from athletics isn't a bad start. Higher education shouldn't be about real estate accumulation and athletics. It should be about improving our next generation of adults.

I think that would be a move in the wrong direction. College sports is such a motivator for some kids to stay in high school and work on their grades. It's a model that other countries are moving toward, because the academy system really fails on the academic side. Medical schools have looked at what predicts successful medical students, and one of the biggest predictors is being a college athlete. I thought this short article on Jeff Teague and Brad Stevens was really interesting (and really is impressive regarding Brad Stevens). https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/16/jeff-teague-brad-stevens-saving-his-life/

I think that would be a move in the wrong direction. College sports is such a motivator for some kids to stay in high school and work on their grades. It's a model that other countries are moving toward, because the academy system really fails on the academic side. Medical schools have looked at what predicts successful medical students, and one of the biggest predictors is being a college athlete. I thought this short article on Jeff Teague and Brad Stevens was really interesting (and really is impressive regarding Brad Stevens). https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/16/jeff-teague-brad-stevens-saving-his-life/

While I understand your point, I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Teague is successful because he's a professional athlete. What about the other 99% of college athletes (as the NCAA commercials famously tell us) that don't go pro in athletics. What about the kids that get their grades and test scores massaged enough to get into college for athletics? How many of them walk away with a substandard degree and no real vocational training or preparation? How do they turn out? And I don't mean one or two anecdotal stories, but as a collective? And when a university's priority is making money (and the marketing that goes along with sports) do we really educate our kids effectively?

it just seems that education should be the priority of our top universities, and for many of them (Wake included) it is not.

Last edited:

Agree with this. I don't think college athletes should be paid (though they deserve to under the current model), nor do I think a college head coach should be paid millions of dollars (though again under the current model, they deserve and earn every penny if good at it). Something's gotta give...

Your prediction will only prove true if the $$ pipes get turned off. What this proposal would do, however, is cut off opportunities in many non-revenue sports for lots of kids.

While I understand your point, I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Teague is successful because he's a professional athlete. What about the other 99% of college athletes (as the NCAA commercials famously tell us) that don't go pro in athletics. What about the kids that get their grades and test scores massaged enough to get into college for athletics? How many of them walk away with a substandard degree and no-real vocational training or preparation? How do they turn out? And I don't mean one or two anecdotal stories, but as a collective? And when a university's priority is making money (and the marketing that goes along with sports) do we really educate our kids effectively?

it just seems that education should be the priority of our top universities, and for many of them (Wake included) it is not.

So, to be clear, bc X person failed and Y person got a college degree she never could have otherwise afforded the system has failed. I really don't buy into that notion. College sports gives an awful lot of kids opportunities. Some individuals fail miserably at taking advantage of what they're being offered.

So, to be clear, bc X person failed and Y person got a college degree she never could have otherwise afforded the system has failed. I really don't buy into that notion. College sports gives an awful lot of kids opportunities. Some individuals fail miserably at taking advantage of what they're being offered.

But what does the college degree do? What are they now trained to do? That's my bigger question.

To be clear, I think the entire system should be massively overhauled with a much bigger emphasis on real world skills and career paths, and removing athletics from the equation is part of the bigger picture.

Our current model under educates and overcharges.

Last edited:
Back