• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was your favorite school lunch as a kid?

Sidenote: I was skinny as fuck in high school - 6'2" & 155lbs

It wasn't until I got to Wake that I gained 30lbs in the first semester on my diet of Subway 2x/day with a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dessert.

Attended elementary, middle and high school in this school district. They'd serve these once a month in elementary and middle school. It was a big day when they'd serve them.

In high school they'd spoil us and serve them once a week. Haven't had them in over a decade yet I could still taste them when I watch this video. Would always double order in middle and high school. Outside of enchilada day, most of the time I'd either bring food from home and or get a PB&J sandwich from the snack bar.

Probably ate a double order of fries for lunch 3-4 days a week in middle school. HS was a lot of Biscuitville when I got a job.

My Catholic K-8 did Little Caesar’s on Fridays. Cheese or Pepperoni. Only cheese during Lent.

Catholic high school was wholly unforgettable. Public high school the only palatable option was French Fries.

I brought my lunch almost every day.

This. With government ranch.

They served rectangle pizza every day at my high school a la carte. I got two slices, every day, nothing else, for three years. Government Ranch or, sometimes, government French, just to mix it up. We could go off campus as seniors, and I went to Pizza Hut and got a personal pan pizza, every day.

yeah i enjoyed taco day too, but getting to Wake when the benson center had JUST opened and getting pizza hut and taco bell whenever i wanted was TREMENDOUS.

Sloppy Joes w/ tater tots

I opened this thread with the initial thought that square pizza would be my answer, but you reminded me that I actually looked forward to Sloppy Joe day.

I also enjoyed fish stick Friday.

Did anyone else have Oxfam fundraising events for lunch time? You paid something like 2 dollars and you had a 4/5 chance of ending up with a single bowl of white rice to symbolize what people are lucky to eat in the rest of the poor world, but you had a 1/5 chance of getting something like an awesome sub. Whole premise defeated by continuously playing the two dollar roulette until you won said better meal.

Rectangle pizza, tiny pepperoni cubes, almost no cheese - the best of the worst. Atlanta public school in the 80’s, the actual worst was the ham slice with a pineapple slice on it. I assume they were frozen together in stacks.... Came out as some kind of weird goo mixing the worst ham and pineapple you can imagine.

Pizza was always Friday which was also chocolate milk day. Made kids forgive the pizza atrocity.

The only things I remember were the aforementioned rectangle pizzas and sloppy joes. I didn't like the sloppy Joes (and hated them generally until a few years ago when my wife made some that were positively awesome). I remember the rectangle pizzas weren't good either, but they were pizza, and therefore they were good.

I think I became a bag lunch guy in 8th or 9th grade.

Did anyone else have Oxfam fundraising events for lunch time? You paid something like 2 dollars and you had a 4/5 chance of ending up with a single bowl of white rice to symbolize what people are lucky to eat in the rest of the poor world, but you had a 1/5 chance of getting something like an awesome sub. Whole premise defeated by continuously playing the two dollar roulette until you won said better meal.

then I guess it as a fundraiser

I got school lunch much of elementary school -- we had breakfast corndogs that were pancakes wrapped around link sausage

I started making my own lunch pretty early, fifth or so grade -- the only thing I liked to get from the cafeteria in high school was the Otis Spunkmeier cookies

Rectangle school pizza with pepperoni-ish cubes or spaghetti with meat sauce. One year they also ditched the milk cartons for these milk pouches, basically plastic bags filled with milk. Putting a straw through that without making a mess was like Capri sun x 10 difficulty.

In high school I had the same thing nearly every day, a quarter of a dominos pizza and a vending machine brownie. By some miracle I am alive today.

My mom is/was a horrible cook.

In West Virginia, I started public school in 7th grade. It was still mostly mass-produced garbage (that was still leagues better than back home), but about once a month, the old ladies in the cafeteria would make spaghetti sauce - full on legit. That was pretty much the start of my love affair with food.

Big green tray of spaghetti and garlic bread. Fucking dominated that shit over and over. Later on, I would begin to cover it with cheese (would never do that now), but teenage DDD could pack away some fucking calories.

Followed by yes

Thursday was mashed potatoes and gravy day. The turkey or roast beef with it wasn't all that, but the mashed potatoes and gravy were sublime. I'd just get a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sloppy Joe's, potato chips, chocolate cake, 8 oz. milk for 35 cents through eighth grade. Add spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, pudding and 8 oz. milk for 50 cents in high school. Otherwise, whatever mom put in the bag.

Never liked the square pizza, but once in a while the lunch would offer a more traditional round pizza, which was passable. Used to like cheeseburger days and some others in elementary school when they were assigned. In middle school, when you could get some of the "good" options any day instead of a specific assigned day, I burned through the good options pretty quick.

In HS, there was a Wawa pretty close to campus (Eastern PA, as you may have guessed) that served as a reward for waking up early enough.

pineapple upside down cake was a strong option for dessert. then there was that awful carrot and raisin salad that looked like puke.

Back