• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was your favorite school lunch as a kid?

Being able to go off campus for lunch was definitely a game changer. I think we were only allowed as seniors but perhaps juniors and seniors. My favorite Mexican restaurant, El Rodeo, was like 2 minutes from school and the combination of serving speed and cost made it an absolutely perfect combination for fitting into the school lunch hour. One semester I had lunch at fucking 10:35 (wtf) though and it didn’t open until 11. Major dagger.

El Rodeo (the downtown location) is still great. It's the best Americanized Mexican food around.

This explains so much about why you are the way you are.

I wasn't one of those rejects who put ranch on my rectangular sausage pizza. My tastes have changed a lot.

I spent my lunch break zesting and juicing limes and oranges for a pork shoulder marinade for cubanos tonight.

Teriyaki nuggets were great. Ribeque's always hit different. Pizza dipped in ranch was a weekly event.

We also had massive doughy chocolate chip cookies that got banned sophmore year, but those things are to this day still the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had.

El Rodeo (the downtown location) is still great. It's the best Americanized Mexican food around.

played little kid soccer with the son of the owner and now that family has a ton of spots around town

we used to go to the OG El Rodeo up Glenwood a good bit

good people

Use to eat at that Hardee’s on the corner of Cloverdale and First St. like 4-5 times a week once i hit sophomore year and people in knew could drive.
Wtf, you went to Reynolds? I must have known you.

We were also both at THE LAST SUPPER Thanksgathering and both lived in Austin for like a decade.

RJR’s chicken tenders slapped.

Can confirm.

I doused anything I got with ranch, hot sauce and whatever else they had available. The fries were a solid side...Just a giant platter of chicken tenders and fries pretty much got me through high school.

well it was all objectively terrible, but seven year old kids like terrible food

No, I mean everyone hated everything when we were kids. Eating that garbage as an adult would be unthinkable. I remember the burgers had these weird gloopy circular pockets all over them, entire patty was grey and had the consistency of cardboard. They smelled so bad everyone called them crap burgers.

No, I mean everyone hated everything when we were kids. Eating that garbage as an adult would be unthinkable. I remember the burgers had these weird gloopy circular pockets all over them, entire patty was grey and had the consistency of cardboard. They smelled so bad everyone called them crap burgers.

Idk, bro. When I was a high schooler in the midst of a growth spurt, there was very little chance I turned my nose up at.

Crater cakes or bubble burgers is what we called them. It's from how they baked them in the oven. We didn't even get cheese to put on that mess. Just ketchup and mustard. Sadly, it was in the top half of options. The chicken patty may have been 2nd place next to pizza day.

I had one friend who would just mix condiment packets together (relish, ketchup, mustard, mayo) and have that for lunch. Nothing else.

Idk, bro. When I was a high schooler in the midst of a growth spurt, there was very little chance I turned my nose up at.

When I was in high school 1/3 of the time I was cutting weight so it all looked incredible.

When I was in high school 1/3 of the time I was cutting weight so it all looked incredible.

I played basketball but my best friend was a state championship wrestler. We always agreed to just not hang during wrestling season. He was legit angry all the time in season and would get fucking hostile watching me eat. Of course, he also used to run in trash bags and roll himself up in the mats to cut weight. I’m glad they do hydration tests for wrestlers now, because that shot seemed insanely dangerous.

This sounds gross now, but our lunch ladies would take hot dog and wrap it inside a bean and cheese burrito. It was by far my favorite thing. It ended when they signed a deal with some Sysco like supplier and we just got regular beef and bean burritos.

I played basketball but my best friend was a state championship wrestler. We always agreed to just not hang during wrestling season. He was legit angry all the time in season and would get fucking hostile watching me eat. Of course, he also used to run in trash bags and roll himself up in the mats to cut weight. I’m glad they do hydration tests for wrestlers now, because that shot seemed insanely dangerous.

I had no idea they did hydration tests now.

We used to have to go to a nutritionist at the start of each season to learn how to lose weight safely. We also had to get our body fat tested and get certified at a minimum weight.

We had to jog as a team to the hospital performing the tests so we weighed in as low as possible.

I played football at 185 and wrestled a month later at 152.

Crater cakes or bubble burgers is what we called them. It's from how they baked them in the oven. We didn't even get cheese to put on that mess. Just ketchup and mustard. Sadly, it was in the top half of options. The chicken patty may have been 2nd place next to pizza day.

I had one friend who would just mix condiment packets together (relish, ketchup, mustard, mayo) and have that for lunch. Nothing else.

Oh Lord - I remember THOSE. How in hell do you get a burger to be slimy???? Also, I'm glad you guys had magical experiences with the pizza rectangles, but in my school they were so greasy and inedible we held pizza races. Just hold the plate perpendicular to the ground and watch the slice - over the course of the next several minutes - slowly ooze and glurp its way downward toward earth. If THAT didn't throw you off lunch, the sheets of grease pouring off it to congeal on your tray likely did. I can still hear the groans ...

I had no idea they did hydration tests now.

We used to have to go to a nutritionist at the start of each season to learn how to lose weight safely. We also had to get our body fat tested and get certified at a minimum weight.

We had to jog as a team to the hospital performing the tests so we weighed in as low as possible.

I played football at 185 and wrestled a month later at 152.

The only guy on the wrestling team who was happy at meal time was the guy wrestling heavyweight/unlimited. He was NFL lineman size.

The only guy on the wrestling team who was happy at meal time was the guy wrestling heavyweight/unlimited. He was NFL lineman size.

The guy on our team once got onto the scale eating a double whopper with cheese.

Cinnamon rolls were also excellent at my elementary school.

We had some damn good lunch ladies at Houston Elementary.

I remember our schools attempt at a cheesesteak, which was these perfectly rectangular slabs of meat on a hot dog bun with something approximating American cheese.

Back