• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was your favorite school lunch as a kid?

booradley

Reaction score
Tuna fish salad (made with Miracle Whip) sandwich on white, with an apple and - if we're talking optimal - Cheetos (fluffy kind). Problem was, my Mom would often put the sandwich at the bottom of the bag, where it would get all squishy and soggy and disgusting. My friends would all look on in sympathy when that happened. Full details are in the lawsuit ...

Rectangle pizza without a doubt.

This. With government ranch. Although I'll wager that on a Wake board there were a lotta mommas packing lunches for their special little angels.

"Breakfast for lunch", followed by the "chicken & waffles" lunch b/c it was the rare time they actually made some of the food in the cafeteria during/after thanksgiving

I weirdly grew to love the lunchroom hamburgers, even if it wasn't all meat. Id just cover them in salt, like all the other meats, veggies and carbs from there.

"Breakfast for lunch", followed by the "chicken & waffles" lunch b/c it was the rare time they actually made some of the food in the cafeteria during/after thanksgiving

Where did you go to school?? Never once did I get chicken & waffles from the cafeteria

Where did you go to school?? Never once did I get chicken & waffles from the cafeteria

a small public school in central PA; the old ladies would make potato filling from scratch and recycle the chicken from the thanksgiving dinner lunch

so the chicken/waffles/gravy and stuffing were all from scratch. I graduated HS in 2002.

My mom is/was a horrible cook.

In West Virginia, I started public school in 7th grade. It was still mostly mass-produced garbage (that was still leagues better than back home), but about once a month, the old ladies in the cafeteria would make spaghetti sauce - full on legit. That was pretty much the start of my love affair with food.

Big green tray of spaghetti and garlic bread. Fucking dominated that shit over and over. Later on, I would begin to cover it with cheese (would never do that now), but teenage DDD could pack away some fucking calories.

I went to a small rural school. All the lunch ladies were pushing 80 and the grandma of a student, so our school lunches were delicious.

pizza day always ruled. my mom was too lazy to make me a lunch. I had a friend whose mom made those cheese/sausage balls every week and i loved those things, so i'd trade for them.

also, little debbies were the currency of the lunchroom barter economy.

I loved the mixed meat submarine sandwich bound tight in plastic wrap. I think the meats were bologna, salami, and ham with american cheese. Also wrapped up in the sandwich were the packets of mayo and yellow mustard.

Chicken patties were also pretty clutch

it's kinda wonderful so many of us shared the same shitty SYSCO lunches all across this great nation

I brought my lunch 95% of the time until we could go off campus my jr. and sr. years. Roast beef sandwich was, and remains, one of my favorite lunches.

There was a pizza place, Andy's Pizza, near my high school that my family used to go to about once a week. At lunch, they had a pizza buffet for $6. Awesome pizza, baked ziti, salad bar, and pitchers of tea. They would make us whatever pizzas we wanted. I was playing O-line at the time, so I could afford to do that once or twice a week.

Rectangle pizza or baked spaghetti, corn dog nuggets were also key

The dinner rolls my elementary school dished up were the bomb. I could have eaten 10 of them.

Mostly only bought lunch on pizza days in grade school. Also had some surprisingly tasty cheesesteaks once a month that I would get sometimes. Otherwise, it was packed sandwiches for me. Ice cream was pretty constant, though. Would get that a couple times a week, usually Strawberry Shortcake bars.

Every single day in high school I had a PB&J sandwich. Would switch up drinks and sides and even the jelly, but PB&J every school day for 4 years.

I hated school lunch more than anything. It just seemed gross and I was a very picky eater. Pretty much everyday in high school I would eat from the vending machine... A bag of chips/pretzels, a Pepsi, and some candy. Or I'd have brought in some snacks/candy from home. Another strategy was to load up on a big breakfast of sugary cereal and a pop tart or toaster strudel (or both) and then just not eat at school.

Some days we had Pizza Hut pizza and I'd get that. Other days it'd be Taco Bell soft tacos and I'd get that. Even though I was picky, I could deal with those things because they weren't actually made in the school cafeteria. I realize it makes no sense when I look back on it.

It wasn't until my senior year that I'd leave everyday for lunch and just go buy something from somewhere. There was a good bagel place that I'd get sandwiches from.

Back