• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cookies!

Deaconblue

Reaction score
This time of year seems to be when lots of people make home made cookies. With Covid keeping people home more, I expect many are baking cookies.

What are some of your favorites?

What have you made?

My favorites are snickerdoodles (about to roll batch 2) and sand tarts.

Also made tea balls and fruit cake cookies. These last are a variant of oatmeal cookies with chopped up candied fruit like you find in fruit cake.

My mother just sent me two big foil trays worth of cookies for Christmas. Cookies were always a big deal for us, and she probably has a couple dozen varieties in rotation. This year she sent Pecan Tassies (basically a tiny pecan pie), Pecan Sandies, Jan Hansels (almond bar cookie), English Toffee Bars, Cranberry Nut Rolls, three or four different chip type cookies, including chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips (my favorite), Fruitcake cookies (which I have never liked), Oatmeal Raisins, Jam Thumbprints, some kind of samosa looking thing, and Candy Cane Shortbread cookies. I might be forgetting a couple also. I am the only one in the house that will eat the vast majority of them, as my wife and daughter won't eat anything more adventurous than a sugar cookie or a chocolate chip. I've got cookies for weeks.

This time of year seems to be when lots of people make home made cookies. With Covid keeping people home more, I expect many are baking cookies.

What have you made?

Also made tea balls and fruit cake cookies. These last are a variant of oatmeal cookies with chopped up candied fruit like you find in fruit cake.

My mom passed away last year. This will be our first Christmas without her. Snickerdoodles and sand tarts bring back special memories.

What have you made?

There is nothing more wholesome on the ogboards than a thread titled Cookies! started by Blue. Merry Christmas, bro. You’re one of the best things about these forums.

I think I’ve found my perfect chocolate chip cookie, and everybody who has tried them can’t stop eating them. Going to attempt a brown butter shortbread cookie from serious eats tomorrow or Monday. Does anybody has a go to base cookie for decorating? I wonder how the shortbread cookies will hold up to decorating.

Sand tarts are the cut out and decorate cookies of choice for three generations in my family.

My wife made lemon merengue almond cookies, pistachio chocolate chip, and chocolate dipped peanut butter. Dad bod intensifies.

I think I’ve found my perfect chocolate chip cookie, and everybody who has tried them can’t stop eating them. Going to attempt a brown butter shortbread cookie from serious eats tomorrow or Monday. Does anybody has a go to base cookie for decorating? I wonder how the shortbread cookies will hold up to decorating.

Let those brown butter short bread cookies stand on their own. They don’t need any decorating. use a basic sugar cookie recipe for decorating. Those shortbread are amazing on their own

We were a pie and cake family, not a cookie family growing up. So I have had to make my own cookie traditions as an adult. Other than the the aforementioned brown butter shortbreads, here are a couple of my go to’s.

1) also from Stella parks, her version of chocolate chip cookies
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/bravetart-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe.html

2) Alison roman’s chocolate chunk shortbread
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019152-salted-chocolate-chunk-shortbread-cookies

3) Smitten Kitchen coconut brown butter cookies
https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/06/coconut-brown-butter-cookies/

Snickerdoodles didn't last. So I did the only rational thing. Batch #2!

We made the Christina Tosi cornflake marshmallow cookies. Little bit of a pain in the ass but pretty damn good. There's some version of it online that recommends using less of the cornflake mixture which was probably a good call.

I saw them at the store from her bakery in a box. They’re delicious so I attempted them as well. Major not fun to make. Will just buy them again.

Milk Bar Marshmallow Cornflake Chocolate Cookies

https://www.christinatosi.com/post/cornflake-chocolate

I'd reduce the 270g of cornflake crunch to 200g. Refrigerate overnight if you can, have to bake them from very cold. Can be done anywhere in that 12-18 minute zone depending on how big you make them. Best ones we made felt like we pulled them early - browned around edges and only just starting to brown in the middle.

This thread is useless without recipes

Ingredients
1/2 cup (one stick) Unsalted Butter (softened)
3/4 cup Sugar
1 large Eggs
1 teaspoons Vanilla
1 1/2 cup Flour
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. The "scratch" from the sugar should go away when you have done enough.
Beat in the egg.
Sift all the remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
Chill dough

Roll into 1 inch balls
Roll balls in cinnamon sugar mix to coat well.
Bake at 425 for 10 min, or until edges are barely brown. Don't over bake!

Chocolate chip cookies as per the original Toll House recipe Mom duplicated 70+ years ago. Peanut butter cookies as per the original Skippy recipe from the same period. At Christmas, the aroma seemed to linger through and past dinner until snack time at nine. A large glass of milk for everyone ensured no cookies remained by 9:30. The batch made the next day was larger and would last a little longer. The happiness never abated. Christmas at home with family.

I love good old simple Spritz cookies. https://cookiesandcups.com/perfect-spritz-cookies/

spritz-cookies-7-570x795.jpg

Back