• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

Love that we're playing Wisconsin but expecting a 21+ point loss. Seems like lots of people didn't watch the Louisville game.

The best matchup possibility we could get is a big name program that's likely not excited to be there, that everyone is picking to win, that struggles offensively. I'm enthusiastic.

I think you are underestimating how excited this Badger team is for the game. Chryst always has the guys ready to play in Bowl games, it fits nicely into the programs MO. Namely, appreciate every snap, savior each opportunity to play and leave it all out on the field. Last year's one point debacle to Oregon is his only bowl loss in 5 years.

But beyond that, this has been the year from Hell for the Badgers (as it has for everybody).

To go from sky high preseason expectations, to no season, to reduced season, to losing Coan in camp, to shining in game one, to shutting down for two weeks as Covid ran through the team, to blowing out Michigan in our return, to losing all our skill guys and blowing it against NW, to shut down again, to all our skill guys still being out and losing to two top 15 teams and looking horrible, to, finally, beating our biggest rival in OT with our 3rd string QB and walk-ons being the leading rusher and receiver.

It has been a crazy ride. Nothing would feel better than to cap it with a strong showing in a bowl game down South. It seems like pulling out that Axe gave the team some of its mojo back. We will see who suits up tomorrow, could get a lot of guys back or none. It's 2020 who knows what will happen. But I would be shocked if Wisconsin doesn't come out ready to rumble. Who wants to end their career with a loss in the Mayo Bowl?

I am looking forward to our first matchup. Here is to an injury free game and good luck, Deacons.

Last edited:
Until losing by 1 Oregon in the last year's Rose Bowl, Wisconsin had won its last 5 Bowls. Including a 35-3 blowout of the Canes in the Pinstripe Bowl (Wisconsin had beaten the Canes by 10 the year before in the Orange Bowl), the year before WF loss to Mich. State at Yankee Stadium. So, it does appear that Wisconsin generally does come to play in bowl games.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the speed of operation of Wake's offense. Is the Wisc D going to be able to keep up with 7-10 seconds between plays?

Or will they be still trying to get organized as Wake runs a play?

Until losing by 1 Oregon in the last year's Rose Bowl, Wisconsin had won its last 5 Bowls. Including a 35-3 blowout of the Canes in the Pinstripe Bowl (Wisconsin had beaten the Canes by 10 the year before in the Orange Bowl), the year before WF loss to Mich. State at Yankee Stadium. So, it does appear that Wisconsin generally does come to play in bowl games.

Wasn't that the year (or one of the years) the field was frozen solid? I remember betting a hefty sum (on me) on the Badgers there.

Just occurred to me the Groulx would be starting for Wisconsin in this game if he had gone there.

I'm extremely happy for our players that they're getting a bowl game, continuing the streak, have a high profile opponent to play, etc. If the season had just ended with the FSU bailout that would have been incredibly disappointing.

At the same time, as fans we all know this team is at best a poor man's version of what it could have been thanks to COVID. And I really don't care if the same can be said for other teams - maybe it's equal, maybe it's not. Impossible to know.

Of course I'll watch and root for the Deacs, hope we pull the upset, it'll be fun to see some of the guys play who otherwise wouldn't be and who will be in critical roles next year. I'd guess that both teams come out of the gates fired up on defense. But this is a season where an Ohio State team that only played 6 games is in the playoffs. It will always be a fraud of a season, a welcome distraction at half-strength during a difficult time. The results are watered down both good and bad. My company laid off 20% of our workforce 2 weeks ago and plenty of friends are on the brink of serious problems as 2021 arrives. I'm glad the game is happening but the excitement, the thought of traveling for it, digging into the matchups when we're talking about backups of backups... Yeah, that ain't happening this year.

I guess I didn't realize Minnesota was Wisconsin's biggest rival. Would have assumed Michigan.

No kidding. Wisconsin has scored in single digits 4 of their 6 games this year!

Single digits in 3 of their 6 games against the #5 (Northwestern), #7 (Iowa), and #16 (Indiana) ranked scoring defenses in college football.

Wake is #78.

Hope like hell I'm wrong but Wake allowed a pedestrian MSU offense to put up 500 yards in the Pinstripe last year with Brian freakin' Lewerke throwing for 300+.

I think you are underestimating how excited this Badger team is for the game. Chryst always has the guys ready to play in Bowl games, it fits nicely into the programs MO. Namely, appreciate every snap, savior each opportunity to play and leave it all out on the field. Last year's one point debacle to Oregon is his only bowl loss in 5 years.

But beyond that, this has been the year from Hell for the Badgers (as it has for everybody).

To go from sky high preseason expectations, to no season, to reduced season, to losing Coan in camp, to shining in game one, to shutting down for two weeks as Covid ran through the team, to blowing out Michigan in our return, to losing all our skill guys and blowing it against NW, to shut down again, to all our skill guys still being out and losing to two top 15 teams and looking horrible, to, finally, beating our biggest rival in OT with our 3rd string QB and walk-ons being the leading rusher and receiver.

It has been a crazy ride. Nothing would feel better than to cap it with a strong showing in a bowl game down South. It seems like pulling out that Axe gave the team some of its mojo back. We will see who suits up tomorrow, could get a lot of guys back or none. It's 2020 who knows what will happen. But I would be shocked if Wisconsin doesn't come out ready to rumble. Who wants to end their career with a loss in the Mayo Bowl?

I am looking forward to our first matchup. Here is to an injury free game and good luck, Deacons.
Good info & good luck!

It's not much of a rivalry, Wisconsin has only lost once over the last decade.

Facts. Though it is the most played game in CFB. Every year since 1906. UW just took the lead all time in the series after going 22-3 over the last quarter century.

Love that we're playing Wisconsin but expecting a 21+ point loss. Seems like lots of people didn't watch the Louisville game.

We return like 7-9 starters that were out for that game for this one don't we?

NC State / Wake Forest is in the mix here.

We are tied for second behind this game with State along with Oklahoma and Oklahoma St after Clemson and South Carolina was canceled this year

We return like 7-9 starters that were out for that game for this one don't we?

Yes, including Donavan Greene. Clawson said this is as healthy as WF has been this season. That said, Boogie and KWIII aren't playing. Those guys are playmakers.

I guess I didn't realize Minnesota was Wisconsin's biggest rival. Would have assumed Michigan.

Wisconsin and Minnesota have been playing against each other since 1890, with the exception of that one year 1906, when President Teddy Roosevelt stopped all of college football due to excessive deaths and injuries. It is the most played rivalry in division 1 football. 129 games. Only Lehigh-Lafayette has been played more often, but that is division 1AA.

During the late 20's and through most of the 1950's Minnesota was a national power. Wisconsin would occasionally have a great team, but Minnesota was far and away more consistently good. From the mid 60's until the advent of Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, both programs were mediocre at best, with Minnesota being slightly less bad.

But the last 26 years have seen Wisconsin dominate the struggle for the possession of Paul Bunyan's Axe.

The storied rivalry:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/viewtopic.php?p=1565014#p1565014

2005 blocked punt game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIA7lhsSKs

Wisconsin and Minnesota have been playing against each other since 1890, with the exception of that one year 1906, when President Teddy Roosevelt stopped all of college football due to excessive deaths and injuries. It is the most played rivalry in division 1 football. 129 games. Only Lehigh-Lafayette has been played more often, but that is division 1AA.

During the late 20's and through most of the 1950's Minnesota was a national power. Wisconsin would occasionally have a great team, but Minnesota was far and away more consistently good. From the mid 60's until the advent of Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, both programs were mediocre at best, with Minnesota being slightly less bad.

But the last 26 years have seen Wisconsin dominate the struggle for the possession of Paul Bunyan's Axe.

The storied rivalry:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/viewtopic.php?p=1565014#p1565014

2005 blocked punt game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIA7lhsSKs

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

Back