• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

Prefer to be terribly wrong but Wisky's OL is likely to expose the weaknesses of a Clawson coached defense. The way our D plays determines the outcome of the game. If they're very disciplined we will still be in the game going into the final moments. Let's not make this look like Wisky is playing a lower division team when they're is much more for WF to gain from the win than for Wisky. WF lost to MSU last year having defeated Texas A&M and Memphis in the two bowl games prior. WF must figure out a way to get back in the bigger conversation so we keep poaching the Surratt's, Newman's, Greene's and Groulx's. Time to show up fellas, especially Hartman and Beal-Smith.

I’m still not getting my hopes up that this game is actually happening until I see the ball kicked off.

No need to be worried about a last minute cancellation, FSU not involved in the game.

Prefer to be terribly wrong but Wisky's OL is likely to expose the weaknesses of a Clawson coached defense. The way our D plays determines the outcome of the game. If they're very disciplined we will still be in the game going into the final moments. Let's not make this look like Wisky is playing a lower division team when they're is much more for WF to gain from the win than for Wisky. WF lost to MSU last year having defeated Texas A&M and Memphis in the two bowl games prior. WF must figure out a way to get back in the bigger conversation so we keep poaching the Surratt's, Newman's, Greene's and Groulx's. Time to show up fellas, especially Hartman and Beal-Smith.

Receivers need to show up too.

Wake and State have played 114 times since 1895.

This is why I love bowl games. I would have named about 50 match ups before I got to NC State-Wake as the 2nd most played game. Learn something new all the time.

Wish I had something meaningful to add to the actual game tomorrow but I have no idea what (or who) to expect. Hurry-up spreads can give us some trouble if we have to sit back in base D all game. Leonhard thrives on his diverse pressures but they require timing/alignment to pull off. Tough to do that in 15 seconds. Short of one 80 yard bust against Iowa no one really runs on UW these days, but we will give up the dink and dunk crossing/dig/ace routes pretty regularly. A lot of the Badgers struggles on O have been self-inflicted (drops, fumbled handoffs, penalties, timing, etc.). Not surprising given the herky-jerky nature of this season, but frustrating none-the-less. I would like to think they will clean it up a bit in the longer prep time but that is simply wishful thinking at this point. If they can get out of their own way this O can still be effective, if unexciting.

The Oline is still the engine that makes it all run. Hopefully our backup center #67 will do better in his second start.

#37 Groshek will take what you give him consistently, and #14 Watson can be a load if he is feeling it but has no break away speed. #8 Berger is the future but he is coming off Covid and is no sure thing to even play. The FBs will see half a dozen carries combined. If it is 3rd and less than 2 you can just about take it to the bank that #34 Mason/#44 Chennel is getting it up the gut.

#16 Dunn has no business seeing the field (5'7" walk-on with the athleticism to match) but he might start tomorrow so, not great. He can run the slant and screens ok but anything else is asking too much of the QB considering his catch radius (which is basically his chest). #13 Dike is a true Freshmen who has been thrown to the wolves. He has some good speed but is really raw in his route running and has struggled to get in sync with Mertz. He is the one guy out wide who can take the top off the D. #7 Davis is a real WR but he is doubtful to play. #3 Pryor is quick but doesn't like contact and also may be out. His best play is the jet sweep. Beyond that it is a bunch of walk-ons and freshman who have barely played. The TE #84 Ferguson is the only real threat in the passing game. He is a pro (and Barry's grandson! As the announcers will remind us every time he catches the ball). Take him away and you have successfully eliminated the Badger passing game. Easier said than done.

The D is legit. All three levels have guys who will play on Sundays but the strength is the front 7, though surprise, a bunch of guys might be out tomorrow. The Dline are mostly space eaters, not a lot of explosion there but they are stout. The ILBs (#45/#57) are the heart and soul (along with the safety #25 Burrell) and do a great job in the run game. The OLBs are a bit beat up but #19 Herbig is a true Freshmen who will flash.

We play a bunch of CBs but #21 Williams is probably the top guy. They can all be beat over the top but are really physical and solid as a group. Generally they don't give up a ton of huge plays but if the refs are calling it tight they can kill us with PIs.

This D is about the whole, not the parts. They play together and fly to the ball. Don't give up many cheap scores, most points are earned through long drives on this D (or short fields) but similarly they don't force a ton of turnovers either. The pass rush is effective but hasn't actually gotten home as often this season. They blitz a ton and from all over the field and that can speed a lot of QBs up. The O has put a ton on their shoulders and they have responded well for the most part, Iowa being the only real exception. Points will be at a premium tomorrow.

I can't wait.

Last edited:
This is why I love bowl games. I would have named about 50 match ups before I got to NC State-Wake as the 2nd most played game. Learn something new all the time.

Wish I had something meaningful to add to the actual game tomorrow but I have no idea what (or who) to expect. Hurry-up spreads can give us some trouble if we have to sit back in base D all game. Leonhard thrives on his diverse pressures but they require timing/alignment to pull off. Tough to do that in 15 seconds. Short of one 80 yard bust against Iowa no one really runs on UW these days, but we will give up the dink and dunk crossing/dig/ace routes pretty regularly. A lot of the Badgers struggles on O have been self-inflicted (drops, fumbled handoffs, penalties, timing, etc.). Not surprising given the herky-jerky nature of this season, but frustrating none-the-less. I would like to think they will clean it up a bit in the longer prep time but that is simply wishful thinking at this point. If they can get out of their own way this O can still be effective, if unexciting.

The Oline is still the engine that makes it all run. Hopefully our backup center #67 will do better in his second start.

#37 Groshek will take what you give him consistently, and #14 Watson can be a load if he is feeling it but has no break away speed. #8 Berger is the future but he is coming off Covid and is no sure thing to even play. The FBs will see half a dozen carries combined. If it is 3rd and less than 2 you can just about take it to the bank that #34 Mason/#44 Chennel is getting it up the gut.

#16 Dunn has no business seeing the field (5'7" walk-on with the athleticism to match) but he might start tomorrow so, not great. He can run the slant and screens ok but anything else is asking too much of the QB considering his catch radius (which is basically his chest). #13 Dike is a true Freshmen who has been thrown to the wolves. He has some good speed but is really raw in his route running and has struggled to get in sync with Mertz. He is the one guy out wide who can take the top off the D. #7 Davis is a real WR but he is doubtful to play. #3 Pryor is quick but doesn't like contact and also may be out. His best play is the jet sweep. Beyond that it is a bunch of walk-ons and freshman who have barely played. The TE #84 Ferguson is the only real threat in the passing game. He is a pro (and Barry's grandson! As the announcers will remind us every time he catches the ball). Take him away and you have successfully eliminated the Badger passing game. Easier said than done.

The D is legit. All three levels have guys who will play on Sundays but the strength is the front 7, though surprise, a bunch of guys might be out tomorrow. The Dline are mostly space eaters, not a lot of explosion there but they are stout. The ILBs (#45/#57) are the heart and soul (along with the safety #25 Burrell) and do a great job in the run game. The OLBs are a bit beat up but #19 Herbig is a true Freshmen who will flash.

We play a bunch of CBs but #21 Williams is probably the top guy. They can all be beat over the top but are really physical and solid as a group. Generally they don't give up a ton of huge plays but if the refs are calling it tight they can kill us with PIs.

This D is about the whole, not the parts. They play together and fly to the ball. Don't give up many cheap scores, most points are earned through long drives on this D (or short fields) but similarly they don't force a ton of turnovers either. The pass rush is effective but hasn't actually gotten home as often this season. They blitz a ton and from all over the field and that can speed a lot of QBs up. The O has put a ton on their shoulders and they have responded well for the most part, Iowa being the only real exception. Points will be at a premium tomorrow.

I can't wait.

I can't wait either to see exactly how we come out from our several weeks of practice and see how we have progressed. Especially in how our precision in the offense looks when compared to the shit show that was up at Louisville where the off weeks showed. Hopefully having Green back helps a lot and getting the new backs some practice reps helps in replacing Walker. Going up against the Wisc defense is going to be a true chore. Then going to their oline blocking and getting our defense without Boogie to tackle in another story in and of itself. Getting to our second layer proves to be a nightmare for us. But when all is said and done, I expect a great effort yet still a low scoring 13 point defeat. Then going into next season all this young talent we have developed that does not lose a single bit of eligibility will be standing up stout for us over the next several seasons as we make Clawson and Deaconland proud.

Anybody have insights on the respective uniforms?

We are wearing gold helmets, white jerseys, white pants. Same as the Belk Bowl vs. A&M.

Line jumped from +7.5 to +9.5 just this afternoon. I don't see any recent opt-outs on Wake's side, so did someone opt-in for Wisco?

I'm just hoping there are no WF folks working between noon and 3:30 today, except the coaches of course!

more realistically 27-17 Wisconsin....But screw that...24-20 DEACS all day.

I guess due to COVID and maybe needing to find a last minute replacement, the end zones just say Charlotte rather than being painted one per school. That’s how it was for the Belk Bowl.

Line jumped from +7.5 to +9.5 just this afternoon. I don't see any recent opt-outs on Wake's side, so did someone opt-in for Wisco?

Maybe Davis and Pryor can play after all. Otherwise Wisconsin is pretty banged up.

Coach Paul Chryst goes for the most ugly crewnecks he can lay his hands on.
2038964_bd28d85b2d5825b942842f3ac44eab90.png

https://twitter.com/i/status/1343996223431335936

Back