• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford potentially to start next week against Arizona?

Wow; after the first play I said....woof. Going to be a long day for John.
But he has done well, really well. Well enough to earn himself a look for a backup role next year.
Good job JW. Way to represent.

He already has that role. Rams chose him over Bortles to be their backup before this year.

I thought he played great. Won’t be the last NFL passes he throws.

Imagine if his receivers could catch and his running back could run. Akers was awful and potentially 3 drooped TDs

Thankfully John knows about running for his life.

Clawson mentioned this in the radio yesterday. It actually annoyed me a little. “John was running for his life for the first two years of his career.” Yes let’s keep perpetuating how uncompetitive Wake Forest football has been...

Of course he then followed up by saying his junior and senior years were successful, including the defeat of Texas A&M. So he framed it as a good redemption story for Wolford and the Deacs I guess.

Really proud of our man today.

Clawson mentioned this in the radio yesterday. It actually annoyed me a little. “John was running for his life for the first two years of his career.” Yes let’s keep perpetuating how uncompetitive Wake Forest football has been...

Of course he then followed up by saying his junior and senior years were successful, including the defeat of Texas A&M. So he framed it as a good redemption story for Wolford and the Deacs I guess.

When he threw that interception I wasn't worried about him having a bad game because I knew he'd handled plenty of adversity in his college career.

I also heard Clawson say that, and for me it was hte context of why he didn't set the world on fire when he came into Wake.

Regardless, so happy for a guy who has worked so hard.

Why, its the truth. The Oline that Clawson inherited was awful. However, even with the end to Grobe's tenure, since 2001 Wake Forest has been as a whole the most competitive its ever been.

Why, its the truth. The Oline that Clawson inherited was awful. However, even with the end to Grobe's tenure, since 2001 Wake Forest has been as a whole the most competitive its ever been.

Just a small thing. I think the coach has to sell the program and tell the truth that most successfully accomplishes that. Talk about his last two years and all of the success. Everyone already assumes that the Wake Forest QB must run for his life. So talk about all the success he had instead. Again, NBD, it’s just how I wanted the program represented since we’re in the spotlight due to this awesome moment with John.

Either way... John performed exactly as we all expected and I’m so happy for him.

I laughed after the first play, and openly wondered whether he had caught the Fartman bug. He was a lot like he was at Wake. Solid on short and intermediate throws, a bit off downfield (I admittedly fell asleep in the 2nd quarter so maybe I missed something). What I was surprised about was his ability to run against bigger, faster NFL dudes. He always had a little bit of scat, but still. Some of that is no doubt gameplanning, as Kliffy must not have bothered to get any tape of him at Wake. He was definitely the best backup QB out there today. Managed the game well, burnt clock, exactly what they wanted him to do.

I laughed after the first play, and openly wondered whether he had caught the Fartman bug. He was a lot like he was at Wake. Solid on short and intermediate throws, a bit off downfield (I admittedly fell asleep in the 2nd quarter so maybe I missed something). What I was surprised about was his ability to run against bigger, faster NFL dudes. He always had a little bit of scat, but still. Some of that is no doubt gameplanning, as Kliffy must not have bothered to get any tape of him at Wake. He was definitely the best backup QB out there today. Managed the game well, burnt clock, exactly what they wanted him to do.

He had several beautiful downfield throws dropped or broken up. If you fell asleep in the second quarter you missed a lot of really solid play on his part.

Last edited:
This is so great. So happy for him. Is Goff back next week?

Boomer was clueless. Late in the game, he kept going on about how the Rams shouldn't snap the ball until the play clock was under 5 seconds; completely missing the fact that was what they had been doing the entire game.

But I'm really happy for Wolford. He is one of the toughest Wake players ever. There is no quit in him. I loved the play in the 2nd half where he ran for the first down and took 2 defenders with him the extra yard to make sure he got it.

Now another story to tell on the recruiting trail. John Wolford developed from three star to pretty good NFL QB at Wake.

Wolford's early years at Wake were tainted with the elrod/wakeyleaks issues. Elrod recruited Wolford for Grobe.

At his very first Meet the Team Day, I asked him about his recruitment. He said the previous staff was "lazy." He's always had gumption.

I didn't see the game. Titan territory.

John's first pass was an interception that resulted in the Cardinals only TD. Typical Wake Forest start.

After that he apparently played well. Good passing stats. Only two sacks. 56 yards rushing on 6 carries gave the Rams mobility at QB. Engineered four long time consuming drives that led to 3 field goals.

He got the win that put the Rams in the playoffs. That counts. Probably earned the opportunity to go 1-0 next week. The dreams of his life are now reality. Get it done John.

He played pretty well and the rest of the offense was mediocre at best.

He will get good money to be a backup somewhere next year.

Ah. I thought it was a 1 year deal. It’s 2 years, $1,540,000. Good money.

The calls for Wolford to start next week are starting. Here’s Bill Plaschke.

“Even if Jared Goff’s broken right thumb is healed, start Wolford. Even if Goff throws well in practice, start Wolford.

His athleticism lets the offense breathe. His field vision allows the passing game to expand. His game management makes the drives flow.

With Wolford, the Rams play with more freedom, more versatility, more joy. With Wolford, the Rams’ NFL-best defense plays with more rest, less angst and better field position.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams...lford-start-playoffs-rams-seahawks-jared-goff

Back