• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford potentially to start next week against Arizona?

Good read. I thought he was open market as well, but getting your 780 K picked up is a nice payday.

Ah. I thought it was a 1 year deal. It’s 2 years, $1,540,000. Good money.

The calls for Wolford to start next week are starting. Here’s Bill Plaschke.

“Even if Jared Goff’s broken right thumb is healed, start Wolford. Even if Goff throws well in practice, start Wolford.

His athleticism lets the offense breathe. His field vision allows the passing game to expand. His game management makes the drives flow.

With Wolford, the Rams play with more freedom, more versatility, more joy. With Wolford, the Rams’ NFL-best defense plays with more rest, less angst and better field position.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams...lford-start-playoffs-rams-seahawks-jared-goff

Good article. He’s got a lot of love from Rams fans now.

What really set John apart was his running. He’s not a big, tall, drop-back QB. But look at many of the top NFL QBs today. They can obviously throw well, but they are shorter, quick, fast, elusive runners. That’s John. I even saw a play or two yesterday that looked like an RPO.
Now that the Rams have 2 very different QBs, how does a defense prepare?
Next weekend will be interesting.

Glad to see they let him sling it some. Hopefully he gets to start this weekend.

Just a small thing. I think the coach has to sell the program and tell the truth that most successfully accomplishes that. Talk about his last two years and all of the success. Everyone already assumes that the Wake Forest QB must run for his life. So talk about all the success he had instead. Again, NBD, it’s just how I wanted the program represented since we’re in the spotlight due to this awesome moment with John.

Either way... John performed exactly as we all expected and I’m so happy for him.
Wolford is tough as nails, loves football and is a reliable NFL QB who played for Wake Forest.
This story line is about John Wolford with W.F. very much in the background.
It was neat to hear W.F. mentioned so much by Jim Nance.
Go Deacs!

Wolford is tough as nails, loves football and is a reliable NFL QB who played for Wake Forest.
This story line is about John Wolford with W.F. very much in the background.
It was neat to hear W.F. mentioned so much by Jim Nance.
Go Deacs!

It was an awesome broadcast all game long and the love they gave Wolford was amazing. He always reminded me of somebody who could be a Drew Brees type QB in the NFL.

I was trying to research other Wake Forest QB's who had started an NFL game and found 3 others in the 60's. Pretty nuts that in 1966 there were only 15 NFL teams and 20% of them had a starting quarterback from Wake Forest. Why have I never heard about these glory days lol.

John Wolford in 2020
Kendall Hinton in 2020
Norm Snead in 1961-1976 (nice long career) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SneaNo00.htm
Ron Smith in 1966 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitRo03.htm
Karl Sweetan in 1966-1968 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SweeKa00.htm

Anybody else I've missed? Ben Sankey, Riley Skinner, Mike Elkins, Nick Sancrity all never started a game and/or were just on practice squads

Didn't realize how much I'd enjoy watching Wolford play. Just an incredible day for him - if you're a team with a mobile starting QB who is unlikely to play every game in a season, Wolford would be a perfect high-priced backup.

With McVay's offensive creativity, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolford in some packages during their playoff game.

Goff needed surgery on the thumb of his throwing hand, and the Rams offense was struggling before he was hurt. Unless Goff's thumb is miraculously 100% less than two weeks after surgery, would think Wolford will get a playoff start if not playoff PT.

Goff needed surgery on the thumb of his throwing hand, and the Rams offense was struggling before he was hurt. Unless Goff's thumb is miraculously 100% less than two weeks after surgery, would think Wolford will get a playoff start if not playoff PT.

Apparently Goff was throwing before the game yesterday, not sure about how much velo he had.

Regardless, the Rams should play this with smokescreens all week and say Goff is the starter. And if he can't go, they've had the Seahawks mostly game planning for Goff.

Pete Carroll will absolutely have to gameplan for both scenarios this week, which is a HUGE advantage for the Rams offense. Hell of a job by Wolford yesterday to give his team this kind of an edge going into a playoff game.

I agree with Plaschke and the majority of Rams fans that John should get the start on Saturday. Goff has been complete dogshit this year and adding a bum thumb to the mix makes it a no-brainer for me. Of course, you dress Goff use him if John struggles early; but this team rallied around Wolford and stepped up across the board. That's exactly what Goff has consistently failed to do for the Rams.

I truly dislike Russell Wilson and the Seahawks so I'm extra invested in this game. Would love for Wolford to bring the season of the much vaunted "DangeRuss" to a premature end.

John looked like the player we know and love yesterday. Wasn’t afraid of the moment and made some really timely plays with his legs. You just can’t say enough about that level of perseverance and determination.

Just got a chance to watch. HOW ABOUT JOHN WOLFORD? Man, I'm proud he's a Deac.

Hate they're playing my Hawks but what can you do?

Just got a chance to watch. HOW ABOUT JOHN WOLFORD? Man, I'm proud he's a Deac.

Hate they're playing my Hawks but what can you do?

You can root for the Deac instead of the Pack of Badgers!!

Should the title of this thread be changed to ‘Wolford potentially to start next week against Seattle?’

Back