• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

For those who don't like "running sideways," pre-snap movement of a wide receiver from one side of the formation to the other has been a great way to get a read on how the defense is playing pass coverage. If the DB's stay put, it is a way of overloading a zone on one side.

It's a simple addition that would increase the the possibilities the D would have to consider.

Yep. Pretty simple and something 98% of teams do. Certainly not "asking to punt". Our orbit motion under Grobe was almost always out of the I-formation - we all very fondly remember the orbit reverse to Idlette to clinch the ACC Championship. You do see it occasionally from teams out of shotgun (DeVonta Smith scored in the natty on a swing pass from a cool reverse orbit motion play), but the most common is just crossing WRs/HBs in front of the QB and either handing or tossing them the ball. Can also pretty easily bring another WR around for a reverse/reverse pass (assuming you hand it off vs toss it forward).

Yep. Pretty simple and something 98% of teams do. Certainly not "asking to punt". Our orbit motion under Grobe was almost always out of the I-formation - we all very fondly remember the orbit reverse to Idlette to clinch the ACC Championship. You do see it occasionally from teams out of shotgun (DeVonta Smith scored in the natty on a swing pass from a cool reverse orbit motion play), but the most common is just crossing WRs/HBs in front of the QB and either handing or tossing them the ball. Can also pretty easily bring another WR around for a reverse/reverse pass (assuming you hand it off vs toss it forward).

Pretty sure that was Kevin Marion and a jet sweep/fake reverse in the 3rd quarter to go up 2 TD, but yes, we all remember it.

95% sure it was an Idlette run on 3rd down that clinched the ACC title but that whole weekend in Jacksonville is still a blur.

Pretty sure that was Kevin Marion and a jet sweep/fake reverse in the 3rd quarter to go up 2 TD, but yes, we all remember it.

We won 9-6, so we never scored two touchdowns. So I guess we do all remember it, just in our own way! We remember that the Wake Forest Demon Deacons unbelievably won the ACC Championship, which is the important thing.

My mistake - in my haste to call out tiger with a snarky response I was thinking of Marion's run v. BC that solidified our 1st place finish and place in the championship game not the championship itself.

My mistake - in my haste to call out tiger with a snarky response I was thinking of Marion's run v. BC that solidified our 1st place finish and place in the championship game not the championship itself.

Not quite. Beating Maryland solidified our place in the championship game. BC was a necessary, but not final, step.

Not quite. Beating Maryland solidified our place in the championship game. BC was a necessary, but not final, step.

Another note. Surprisingly, many people forget that the VT game at home was irrelevant. I mean, obviously if we were undefeated then it would've been very relevant.

Yeah, what? The BC win was the best of the season, but we had to win 2 out of our last 3 games still. Idlette's reverse literally clinched the ACC Championship game.

along the lines of plays we don't see very often, lining up and smashing Belton right down Maryland's throat on fourth and goal to seal the division was extremely gratifying

Yeah, what? The BC win was the best of the season, but we had to win 2 out of our last 3 games still. Idlette's reverse literally clinched the ACC Championship game.

Good input from years ago. One late big play I recall was against GT in Jacksonville. A fairly long pass to ?, at 6-6, that set up Swank in position for a winning FG.
He was pretty automatic from that location. When he hit it, my eyes were moist and I said to Mrs - we're going to the Orange Bowl. Big moment. I recalled from my freshman orientation in 1960 where we were told we were going to Orange Bowl with a Norm Snead lead team. With big injuries so we didn't thus I thought 'we finally did it'. 46 years later.

Good input from years ago. One late big play I recall was against GT in Jacksonville. A fairly long pass to ?, at 6-6, that set up Swank in position for a winning FG.
He was pretty automatic from that location. When he hit it, my eyes were moist and I said to Mrs - we're going to the Orange Bowl. Big moment. I recalled from my freshman orientation in 1960 where we were told we were going to Orange Bowl with a Norm Snead lead team. With big injuries so we didn't thus I thought 'we finally did it'. 46 years later.

Pretty sure that was to Idlette as well and was very underthrown. He came back to the ball and made a massive catch. Oh and he also had the most impressive meaningless block in Wake Forest history.

Pretty sure that was to Idlette as well and was very underthrown. He came back to the ball and made a massive catch. Oh and he also had the most impressive meaningless block in Wake Forest history.

is he the one that ruptured a UNC player's kidney?

Kenny Moore put up one of the all time great Deacon football performances in that Maryland game. Unbelievable stuff.

is he the one that ruptured a UNC player's kidney?

That was Fabian Davis at UNC in 1999. Saw it live. I don't know if that game was televised. It was a devastating block. I think it ended that guy's career.

This doesn't look the worst, but I think it has to be the most devastating. Explosion of the sternum.

Last edited:

Nah, blindside block against GT. Hopefully the video works. I went absolutely nuts in the stands even though we had to punt.

GT had the WWE Champion, the Tribal Chief, the head of the table, Roman Reigns on their defensive line that day. Even his superman punch and spear couldn't stop us from winning!!!

That was Fabian Davis at UNC in 1999. Saw it live. I don't know if that game was televised. It was a devastating block. I think it ended that guy's career.

I was at that one as well. After Davis laid him out, the guy actually "ran" (more like quickly staggered) off of the field and collapsed immediately behind the carolina bench. It was sort of horrifying.

Back