• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Surprised no "predict the record" thread yet. ODU, NSU, and Duke should be gimmees. Cuse is not good but can't take them lightly on the road. Clemson is Clemson. UNC, State, BC, FSU, all as good or better than last year. Ville, Army, and UVa all toss-ups. Hoping for an eight or nine-win regular season but it's going to be a huge challenge like always.

That discussion is sprinkled in this thread. We will see what FSU is this year in their first game. They host Notre Dame.

ETA: Draft Kings has wins for Wake o/u 6.5.

Last edited:
The current ODU @ WF line is 32.5 the O/U is 65.5. ODU didn't play in 2020, and they finished 2019 on a long losing streak (10 or 11 in a row). Would lean WF, because of the high tempo offense, and the Deacs don't take the foot off the gas when Kern or Griffis get snaps (and both of those guys can get the ball in the endzone). Also, this is likely WF's deepest team; so, the backups can score points and stop the opponent. In recent years under Clawson, WF has generally blown out bad teams.

The current ODU @ WF line is 32.5 the O/U is 65.5. ODU didn't play in 2020, and they finished 2019 on a long losing streak (10 or 11 in a row). Would lean WF, because of the high tempo offense, and the Deacs don't take the foot off the gas when Kern or Griffis get snaps (and both of those guys can get the ball in the endzone). Also, this is likely WF's deepest team; so, the backups can score points and stop the opponent. In recent years under Clawson, WF has generally blown out bad teams.

I don't know, ODU is probably motivated after Billy the Red Edwards decommitted and took what was supposed to be a Grey shirt offer at Wake instead. Miles Fox is probably itching to recreate his 20127 season. Winning by 33 and a O/U of 65.6 is such an odd thing, like what something akin to 52-13?

I can see how you get to 8 or 9 wins, but I think 7 is more realistic. FSU is still FSU. You cant pencil in W's at Ville, Army, State and BC either.

A floor of 4, a ceiling of 7 and an absolute skyscraper of a roof at 9 wins.

Conor is putting ot some interesting stuff in his camp reports. Team practiced at BB&T today. At least one potential pleasant surprise seems to be developing.

co-sign that Conor is putting out good stuff in the camp report emails

I don't know, ODU is probably motivated after Billy the Red Edwards decommitted and took what was supposed to be a Grey shirt offer at Wake instead. Miles Fox is probably itching to recreate his 20127 season. Winning by 33 and a O/U of 65.6 is such an odd thing, like what something akin to 52-13?

I can see how you get to 8 or 9 wins, but I think 7 is more realistic. FSU is still FSU. You cant pencil in W's at Ville, Army, State and BC either.

A floor of 4, a ceiling of 7 and an absolute skyscraper of a roof at 9 wins.

I agree with this. A little discouraging to consider that what might be the best WF team in my lifetime could max out at seven wins, but I am choosing to be optimistic this year. If we can stay healthy and actually play defense. . . .

9-4 after bowl game. Either 8-4 reg season and win bowl, or 9-3 reg season and lose bowl.

We'll beat UNC and lose to a couple teams in the middle of the pack like BC/NC State/Ville. We'll also lose to Clemson(SCOOOP).

I put the top of the skyscraper at 12-1 after the bowl win. Except for the Clemson game, this team can beat anybody else on the schedule. If the team focuses on each game and the injury bug doesn't bite too much, it's possible.

More realistic high is about 9 wins. Some of those toss up games will turn into L's. If much goes badly, I think we still get to 5 wins.

I put the top of the skyscraper at 12-1 after the bowl win. Except for the Clemson game, this team can beat anybody else on the schedule. If the team focuses on each game and the injury bug doesn't bite too much, it's possible.

More realistic high is about 9 wins. Some of those toss up games will turn into L's. If much goes badly, I think we still get to 5 wins.

The old “if we stay focused and don’t get hurt” prediction of anywhere between 5-12 wins #hottake

co-sign that Conor is putting out good stuff in the camp report emails

Much appreciated! Latest one just fired off.

To add: Coverage is so much easier when we've got these access levels. Players talk about how much they hated having meetings on Zoom and I've wanted to interject every time that it was just as frustrating to have to interview them on Zoom last year.

I agree with this. A little discouraging to consider that what might be the best WF team in my lifetime could max out at seven wins, but I am choosing to be optimistic this year. If we can stay healthy and actually play defense. . . .

You born after 2006?

That discussion is sprinkled in this thread. We will see what FSU is this year in their first game. They host Notre Dame.

ETA: Draft Kings has wins for Wake o/u 6.5.

Take the over and put big money on it.

For this team to be the best team in a time period that includes the 2006 team, the defense will have to be by far the best Clawson has fielded. No, with where Clemson is at, they don't have to win the ACC title to be the best, but the 2006 team was very good and talented. Sure, the offense was not near as potent, but they didn't have to be.

9-4 after bowl game. Either 8-4 reg season and win bowl, or 9-3 reg season and lose bowl.

We'll beat UNC and lose to a couple teams in the middle of the pack like BC/NC State/Ville. We'll also lose to Clemson(SCOOOP).

I think the Atlantic Division picture is pretty clear. Clemson at 1 obviously. Then the teams you listed in BC, State, UL, and Wake will all end up in that 2-5 range. I think all these teams are essentially even, so they will mostly just beat each other. FSU finishes 6th and craptastic Cuse at 7th.

Hot take, but I think the 2008 team was the most talented in WF history. That team should have been 11-1 or 12-0 but got Lobo'd so hard.

Hot take, but I think the 2008 team was the most talented in WF history. That team should have been 11-1 or 12-0 but got Lobo'd so hard.

Agree that the 2008 team was the most talented team. Skinner was solid as a freshman, but he was a freshman. By 2008, he essentially had figured it all out.

This 2021 team was Clawson's most talented team, until the loss of Greene and the LT Nash. Greene is an NFL caliber weapon on the outside, and LT is a key position particularly since WF typically doesn't help its tackles. In 2019, the offense sputtered when Surratt was out, and then in 2020, the offense, sputtered again when Greene went out against UNC. This team is deep, but not sure if they are deep enough to lose two key offensive players and not skip a beat. Still bullish on the season, but not as bullish, after losing Green and Nash. With no other injuries think 8-4/7-5 is the most likely result. As always, WF has a ton of winnable/losable games. With a veteran team and savvy coaches, think we will win more of those than we lose.

Wasn't Nash the RT? I think Zach Tom is the left tackle.

Nash was the starting RT. Get a subscription to Conor's stuff for some interesting possibilities on the O-line configuration.

For this team to be the best team in a time period that includes the 2006 team, the defense will have to be by far the best Clawson has fielded. No, with where Clemson is at, they don't have to win the ACC title to be the best, but the 2006 team was very good and talented. Sure, the offense was not near as potent, but they didn't have to be.

It's 2021. Offense wins championships.

Looking back at our LB recruits going back to 2016, we have had some of the absolute worst luck when it comes to injuries. I find myself wishing that the staff had made a point to find someone in the portal to help bolster that position group. WR too, it was obviously need when as they brought in Washington, but after he left, I thought that they would try to bring someone else in. The position group looks even more thin after the loss of Greene.

Here's hoping some guys can step up.

Back