• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Agree that the 2008 team was the most talented team. Skinner was solid as a freshman, but he was a freshman. By 2008, he essentially had figured it all out.

This 2021 team was Clawson's most talented team, until the loss of Greene and the LT Nash. Greene is an NFL caliber weapon on the outside, and LT is a key position particularly since WF typically doesn't help its tackles. In 2019, the offense sputtered when Surratt was out, and then in 2020, the offense, sputtered again when Greene went out against UNC. This team is deep, but not sure if they are deep enough to lose two key offensive players and not skip a beat. Still bullish on the season, but not as bullish, after losing Green and Nash. With no other injuries think 8-4/7-5 is the most likely result. As always, WF has a ton of winnable/losable games. With a veteran team and savvy coaches, think we will win more of those than we lose.

That year started with so much promise. Ranked like 15th or so after starting out 3-0 with wins over a damn good Ole Miss team and at Tallahassee. Then come home to face Navy for Homecoming I wanna say and we lay a big ole egg. I think we went down 17-0 at half and never recovered. Then rebounded next week with a win over Clemson (many Clemson fans thank wake for this game because it essentially began the Dabo era). Then didn't bother to show up at Maryland. Against Miami we went with one of the most docile offensive game plans ever (or moronic...take your pick) and only let Riley pass the ball like 10 times or so. Still had the division in our grasp if Marshall Williams doesn't drop that pass in Raleigh. Strange year in that we took down Baylor, Ole Miss, FSU, and Clemson, yet we couldn't handle teams like Navy, State, and BC. Hell if not for an incredible Alphonso pick in OT vs Duke we drop that one too. 2008 had so much promise early on in the season and freaking Navy crushed momentum.

That year started with so much promise. Ranked like 15th or so after starting out 3-0 with wins over a damn good Ole Miss team and at Tallahassee. Then come home to face Navy for Homecoming I wanna say and we lay a big ole egg. I think we went down 17-0 at half and never recovered. Then rebounded next week with a win over Clemson (many Clemson fans thank wake for this game because it essentially began the Dabo era). Then didn't bother to show up at Maryland. Against Miami we went with one of the most docile offensive game plans ever (or moronic...take your pick) and only let Riley pass the ball like 10 times or so. Still had the division in our grasp if Marshall Williams doesn't drop that pass in Raleigh. Strange year in that we took down Baylor, Ole Miss, FSU, and Clemson, yet we couldn't handle teams like Navy, State, and BC. Hell if not for an incredible Alphonso pick in OT vs Duke we drop that one too. 2008 had so much promise early on in the season and freaking Navy crushed momentum.

Good recap of bad memories. The play calling in that Miami game was so strange.

That Navy game was so frustrating. We already had Clemson on national t.v. the following Saturday in prime time, so a win over Navy would legit have put us in the national spotlight with a true "carnival" atmosphere (Dixie Classic Fair was going on next door). As for the game itself, IIRC it was a weird day: weather-wise, kind of drizzly/misty, and on the 1st possession if not the first play, one of our best O-linemen got tossed for an illegal block or unsportsmanlike conduct, or maybe a combination thereof. Things never recovered form there. I was proud of how the team responded the following week vs. Clemson.

That Navy game was so frustrating. We already had Clemson on national t.v. the following Saturday in prime time, so a win over Navy would legit have put us in the national spotlight with a true "carnival" atmosphere (Dixie Classic Fair was going on next door). As for the game itself, IIRC it was a weird day: weather-wise, kind of drizzly/misty, and on the 1st possession if not the first play, one of our best O-linemen got tossed for an illegal block or unsportsmanlike conduct, or maybe a combination thereof. Things never recovered form there. I was proud of how the team responded the following week vs. Clemson.
Wasn’t that Clemson game on a Thursday night? I think Swank was hurt and we missed a chip shot early. Boldin had a huge game. Forgive me if I’m thinking of the wrong Clemson game.

You should check out Conor's practice reports. Some interesting tweaks to the O-line to fill the opening created by Nash's injury.

Wasn’t that Clemson game on a Thursday night? I think Swank was hurt and we missed a chip shot early. Boldin had a huge game. Forgive me if I’m thinking of the wrong Clemson game.

It was definitely a Thursday night. How do I know? I went in to work the next day and got laid off.

Now that is an interesting question. Maybe not consequential, but nonetheless interesting.

Demond Claiborne just tweeted about a current Michigan offer...

Hopefully there's nothing to it. Would suck if he decommits. Kid is a special talent.

It's 2021. Offense wins championships.

Yeah, but defense wins games like the UNC game last year. If we had a defense on the field the last 20 minutes of that game we win going away. At some point, you've got to stop somebody.

08-09 football and bball were so good but we didn’t live up to expectations

football ole miss game was incredible, I sat with slothrop in the press box

bball games vUNC Duke and at Clemson were incredible, I sat a few rows up from the punk student who grabbed Chas

navy football and vt bball games derailed huge momentum but it’s unrealistic to expect no bad losses, we peaked too early and we didn’t finish, we needed that 5th quarter Abbate WF = We Finish mindset

bball games vUNC Duke and at Clemson were incredible, I sat a few rows up from the punk student who grabbed Chas

navy football and vt bball games derailed huge momentum but it’s unrealistic to expect no bad losses, we peaked too early and we didn’t finish, we needed that 5th quarter Abbate WF = We Finish mindset

I think the Ole Miss team we beat, beat Tebow's Florida team that same season.

I think the Ole Miss team we beat, beat Tebow's Florida team that same season.

Correct. 2008 Florida won the Natty at 13-1, and their one loss was to Ole Miss. Not only was that the Gator's only loss, it was the only game they played that year that Florida didn't win by double digits, including a 31-20 win over Bama in the SECCG. BTW, just in case Biff forgot, that Florida team beat UGA 49-10 in J'ville. Ole Miss went 9-4 that year with wins over #1 Florida, #8 Texas Tech, #18 LSU, Auburn, but the Deacs took the Rebs down 30-28.

I think Skinner had 1 or 2 fumbles and 2 or 3 INTs, 2 on tips, maybe.

A few things I remember about that game:
The Blind Side was fairly new, so spent a lot of eyeball time in warmups watching Michael Oher.
Swank literally skipping onto the field to get ready for the game winner (41 yds?). That guy was so clutch; bet he's still pissed at Grobe for not running one more play to put him at a better angle vs. UVA, but at the same time he's probably still pissed at himself for missing it.
Leaving the stadium on a victorious, beautiful early fall day as "It's a Beautiful Day" plays over the PA system. That may have been the first season, maybe the first game, that the tradition of playing that song after wins began.

That Ole Miss game along with the Maryland game from the season before rank up there in terms of best post-graduation games for me. Had young alumni tix for the 07 and 08 seasons and it was great to be able to go to all the games.

Back