• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Generally, Clawson likes to have an extra day to prepare for week 2. That said, WF plays Norfolk State next week; so, the extra day to prep shouldn't be as big of priority. Also, the ACCN wants programming on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. ESPN has the NC/VT game; so, the ACCN needed another Friday game.

Seems like we had a lot of Thursday openers under Grobe as well. I believe the Cuse game in 06, Vandy I think the year before (with Cutler), and a few others come to mind.

And the only Saturday game we got (Clemson) was one when fans couldn't even participate.

I hope to see a few more wrinkles and diversity in the offense this year. One thing I would like to see is a little more throwing to the backs and TE. Some deception and fakes added in would be nice. Don't think the Wildcat should be a heavily used option.
[/B]

This from 8/25

We threw it to the back once and he was wide open and we got a nice gain.

We threw it to the back once and he was wide open and we got a nice gain.

Actually, Ellison had 1 catch for 13 yards & Turner had another for 4 yards. Additionally, there was at least 1 other play where Hartman gave the RB in the flat a quick look but chose not to hit him. Granted it really isn't much but I was pleased to see us actually see us use the backs as receivers. 2X last night is more than what we saw in previous years.

We have a shot.

FSU is better, but we can beat them.

Louisville has some real speed on both sides, and that gives us trouble as we are typically slow-ish, with slow developing plays. But they do dumb things. They are still considered cheaters, too.

NC State looks better than usual - they could be a problem.

Clemson is still Clemson, but clearly did not replace the QB or Etienne (by Clemson standards).

Boston College has the same team they always have (very big and slow). For now, it seems a toss up. BC is always a toss up. I hate playing them.

Duke is awful.

Unfortunately, we do not play Ga. Tech, as they are now projected to win 1 or 2 games all season - another awful team. They crapped the bed in front of a swarm of frat bros and sorority gals in the stands, not a good look to lose at home to Northern Illinois in a home night game.

I think we beat FSU and then things will get interesting...

Last edited:
We have a shot.

FSU is better, but we can beat them.

Louisville has some real speed on both sides, and that gives us trouble as we are typically slow-ish, with slow developing plays. But they do dumb things. They are still considered cheaters, too.

NC State looks better than usual - they could be a problem.

Clemson is still Clemson, but clearly did not replace the QB or Etienne (by Clemson standards).

Boston College has the same team they always have (very big and slow). For now, it seems a toss up. BC is always a toss up. I hate playing them.

Duke is awful.

Unfortunately, we do not play Ga. Tech, as they are now projected to win 1 or 2 games all season - another awful team. They crapped the bed in front of a swarm of frat bros and sorority gals in the stands, not a good look to lose at home to Northern Illinois in a home night game.

I think we beat FSU and then things will get interesting...

Zay Flowers sure ain't slow for BC.

If the OL and play calling aren't better, we may not break 50 yards rushing against FSU. The good thing is FSU looked horrible in pass coverage against a significantly worse QB than Hartman. The bad thing is we don't have a monster TE like ND to destroy their safeties/LBs.

BC starts the season with Colgate (won 51-0), UMASS (lost to Pitt 51-7) and Temple (lost to Rutgers 61-14). So, BC will be 3-0, and leading the nation is points and yards differential, and will get a top 20 ranking for playing 3 scrimmages against god awful teams. They then play Mizzou (struggled with C Michigan on Saturday) at BC. Assuming BC beats Mizzou, they will be undefeated and have inflated expectations playing at Clemson. Clemson will have its act together by October and will drill BC.

BC starts the season with Colgate (won 51-0), UMASS (lost to Pitt 51-7) and Temple (lost to Rutgers 61-14). So, BC will be 3-0, and leading the nation is points and yards differential, and will get a top 20 ranking for playing 3 scrimmages against god awful teams. They then play Mizzou (struggled with C Michigan on Saturday) at BC. Assuming BC beats Mizzou, they will be undefeated and have inflated expectations playing at Clemson. Clemson will have its act together by October and will drill BC.

I think BC is good but that scheduling is shameful. It rivals what NCSU did for those few years.

How’s that now

He had a better 2019 than I realized, but Jack Coan is not as good of a QB as Hartman. He transferred from Wisconsin, as he wasn't going to beat out Graham Mertz - the dude who just put up 185 yards 0 TDs, and 2 INTs to lose the game to PSU. FSU let Jack Coan put up 366 yards and 4 TDs, the best game of his career as a starter.

If the OL and play calling aren't better, we may not break 50 yards rushing against FSU. The good thing is FSU looked horrible in pass coverage against a significantly worse QB than Hartman. The bad thing is we don't have a monster TE like ND to destroy their safeties/LBs.

hmmnnn.

He had a better 2019 than I realized, but Jack Coan is not as good of a QB as Hartman. He transferred from Wisconsin, as he wasn't going to beat out Graham Mertz - the dude who just put up 185 yards 0 TDs, and 2 INTs to lose the game to PSU. FSU let Jack Coan put up 366 yards and 4 TDs, the best game of his career as a starter.

Comparing Coan's 2019 to Hartman's 2020, and I'm not seeing a compelling argument that Hartman is as good as Coan

Coan better QBR, better completion percentage, more yards/attempt, better TD/INT ratio

Comparing Coan's 2019 to Hartman's 2020, and I'm not seeing a compelling argument that Hartman is as good as Coan

Coan better QBR, better completion percentage, more yards/attempt, better TD/INT ratio

Playing behind one of the best OLs in America with a dominant running game. It's not close to apples to apples. Coan is a game manager and would get annihilated in Wake's offense. A lot of #eyetest here on my part, but I'm taking Hartman every day of the week.

Playing behind one of the best OLs in America with a dominant running game. It's not close to apples to apples. Coan is a game manager and would get annihilated in Wake's offense. A lot of #eyetest here on my part, but I'm taking Hartman every day of the week.

sure

it is also highly probable that ND's OL is better than WF's this year, which helped Coan shred FSU's defense

yes despite the stats I didn't think Coan looked all that great.

Back