• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Win out from here and we’re national Champions.

I know it’s not happening. (I actually think we lose to UVA Friday night. I hate the road games on a short week and their passing game looks scary.) But, if Wake did go undefeated, how confident are you that we make the playoff?

You do realize the "we're" Biff is referring to in his post is UGA, right?

And enough with the ridiculous "if we win out..." pipedream scenarios and enjoy the ride.

Be better than PackPride and Inside Carolina, folks.

If Biff was referring to UGA, it was lost on me.

Some of you are taking this too seriously. It's an interesting hypothetical that applies to more schools than just Wake. It's also an indictment of pre-season rankings, which I'm starting to believe should not exist. That is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. Maybe the AP and coaches should not start ranking teams until week 3 or 4. Rather than being LOWF, I'm pointing out a weakness in what should be an absolute meritocracy.

And enough with the ridiculous "if we win out..." pipedream scenarios and enjoy the ride.

Be better than PackPride and Inside Carolina, folks.

Don't you think practically all of use know it's a pipe dream? Still fun to think about at least.

If Biff was referring to UGA, it was lost on me.

Some of you are taking this too seriously. It's an interesting hypothetical that applies to more schools than just Wake. It's also an indictment of pre-season rankings, which I'm starting to believe should not exist. That is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. Maybe the AP and coaches should not start ranking teams until week 3 or 4. Rather than being LOWF, I'm pointing out a weakness in what should be an absolute meritocracy.

This is where I was coming from as well. It’s also an indictment of the CFP or any set up with at large teams. Just do conference champs only.

Every year, people wildly over guess the number of teams that will go undefeated or even have one loss. Outside of Bama (who actually was outplayed by Florida), there will be no undefeated teams in college football after the regular season and conference championship games. Also, think its more likely that the Big 10 champ will have two losses than one, and reasonably likely that the Pac 12 Champ will have two losses. Realize that this is a pointless exercise as the ACC Champ (possibly WF) will not be undefeated either, but in the unlikely event that WF is undefeated after the ACCCG, WF would be in the playoff unless this was the outlier year where there are multiple undefeated teams other than Bama.

L'ville at WF on October 2nd will be kickoff at 12:30 on your Regional Sports Network that televises ACC games. Deacs not quite ready for prime time yet.

L'ville at WF on October 2nd will be kickoff at 12:30 on your Regional Sports Network that televises ACC games. Deacs not quite ready for prime time yet.

Considering that is the Carolina Classic Fair game, the early kick is not a bad thing.

Next two games are huge. If we can successfully navigate them to get to 5-0 then we have Cuse, Army and Doook to wrap up the month of October. Heading into the homestretch 8-0 would be crazy.

Considering that is the Carolina Classic Fair game, the early kick is not a bad thing.

But being on RSN is. A lot of people may not be able to get the game.

Discussion about an undefeated Wake Forest football team going to the playoffs. Optimism knows no boundaries. Enjoy it while it lasts.

If Wake is the undefeated ACC champion they will get into the playoffs. That would be an underdog fairy tale like no other and would demand an ending. That trumps the size of any fan base because the media loves a great story.

College football media hates disturbing the established dynasties. The talking heads would be pissed if Wake or most other ACC schools got in ahead of Bama, UGA, UF, OU, OSU, ND, or PSU.

You’re missing the point.

Your point of an "absolute meritocracy" of rankings and PhDeac's point of the a "conference champions only" playoff. Read and understand both. As long as there are variables in measurement your absolute meritocracy of rankings is a pipe dream. Now add in the money, greed and power of the playoff ranking committees

I'm OK with the the conference champion approach. Puts a premium on seasonal play. Variables of schedule strength/weakness within conference schedules pose a problem because all things aren't equal, but four conference champions (or eight divisional champs) provides a standard for inclusion shared by all participants. If the Power five becomes the Power four this makes sense, if unlikely. Football is as much about bragging rights (money, greed and power) as it is action on the field...maybe more.

My point was I’m not being overly optimistic in starting or continuing this discussion. It’s just an interesting hypothetical.

Back